Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-02-2020, 01:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft x-30, 330hp
Prop shaft squealing 2001 X30

I have 2001 X30 that has been sitting for a while after a complete fuel system overhaul. Finally got it started up and when fake laking it on the trailer there was an awful squeal coming from the prop shaft. Talked to my buddy who is a MC tech and he said that it was the seals/bearings in the brass piece that holds the prop shaft and said to spray wD40 on the shaft where it enter the brass piece. So i did that and the squeal was gone. Went out about an hour later to work on an idle issue and the squeal was back. Any ideas on a better solution? Really not wanting to sink a ton more money into her as I am trying to get her ready to sell. Other than this issue, things are great with the boat.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by skongolf View Post
I have 2001 X30 that has been sitting for a while after a complete fuel system overhaul. Finally got it started up and when fake laking it on the trailer there was an awful squeal coming from the prop shaft. Talked to my buddy who is a MC tech and he said that it was the seals/bearings in the brass piece that holds the prop shaft and said to spray wD40 on the shaft where it enter the brass piece. So i did that and the squeal was gone. Went out about an hour later to work on an idle issue and the squeal was back. Any ideas on a better solution? Really not wanting to sink a ton more money into her as I am trying to get her ready to sell. Other than this issue, things are great with the boat.
Do not engage the transmission while out of water.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 08-02-2020, 04:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Like stated above " do not engage transition while out of water "…the strut bearing is like the raw water pump impeller, needs water for lubrication…might be day late and dollar short on the advice, might need new strut bearings...
Old 08-03-2020, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft x-30, 330hp
Thanks for the heads up. Only ran it for a few seconds so I think it is OK. Lesson learned.