Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-06-2019, 06:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Removing Antifouling on Gelcoat Hull

Hey Guys,

to tank up my X2 in the next Season, i bought a cheap Ski Nautique.

The Idea is, to make it look nice and clean, so i can sell it in Spring to get few Bugs for Refurbs or new Parts on my MC.

So far things are going well, only one thing worries me. And that is the Antifouling in the underwater area. The Boat lays in fresh Water for Months, and then in Saltwater for a few Weeks.

I tried chemical paint removers and pulling knifes but the Result was noch the best.

Added to this is the fact that limescale has deposited.

Any suggestions how to get the hull clean?
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
I've had mixed results doing this which have always ended up with some type of gel coat work needing to be done after the process. It would appear yours is going to be compounded by years of build up as well.

I would start with cleaning the minerals and dirt off the bottom to start with then go from there. I've used Sno-bowl toilet cleaner in the past to remove slim and minerals from the bottom but any bottom cleaner is going to work for step one. All this stuff is nasty to work with so I would recommend not doing it in your nice hanger unless you have a wash bay that you can use. Also make sure that you're in a very well ventilated area (I like being outside) and that you're wearing protective clothing and gloves during the process. You can paint the stuff on, use a sponge but I've found using a chemical sprayer works best. Hit it once and see how it's doing then repeat if needed.

After the above you're going to have to sand the entire hull using the least abrasive grit possible while still achieving results. Most people will tell you to start with 80 grit then move up or down from there. This is where the issues arise. The chance that the person that prep'ed the hull didn't damage the gel coat underneath or that you will are very slim. The best you can hope for is minimal damage then ship it off to the fiberglass repair shop for a respray.

When looking at used ski boats or runabouts I always subtract $5K (or more depending on the size of the boat) from the price of a boat with bottom paint compared to non painted hull for this very reason. I'm sorry but in my book a boat this small and easy to get on a trailer should never be moored or have the bottom painted. But that's me.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I've had mixed results doing this which have always ended up with some type of gel coat work needing to be done after the process. It would appear yours is going to be compounded by years of build up as well.

I would start with cleaning the minerals and dirt off the bottom to start with then go from there. I've used Sno-bowl toilet cleaner in the past to remove slim and minerals from the bottom but any bottom cleaner is going to work for step one. All this stuff is nasty to work with so I would recommend not doing it in your nice hanger unless you have a wash bay that you can use. Also make sure that you're in a very well ventilated area (I like being outside) and that you're wearing protective clothing and gloves during the process. You can paint the stuff on, use a sponge but I've found using a chemical sprayer works best. Hit it once and see how it's doing then repeat if needed.

After the above you're going to have to sand the entire hull using the least abrasive grit possible while still achieving results. Most people will tell you to start with 80 grit then move up or down from there. This is where the issues arise. The chance that the person that prep'ed the hull didn't damage the gel coat underneath or that you will are very slim. The best you can hope for is minimal damage then ship it off to the fiberglass repair shop for a respray.

When looking at used ski boats or runabouts I always subtract $5K (or more depending on the size of the boat) from the price of a boat with bottom paint compared to non painted hull for this very reason. I'm sorry but in my book a boat this small and easy to get on a trailer should never be moored or have the bottom painted. But that's me.

At first: Thank you so much for that extensive Feedback and all the Tipps!

I tried toilet cleaner and on the smal parts i tested, the result was quiet good. I will order a lot more from that to clean up the bottom first.
Afterwards i will carefully start grinding the Bottom.

I have a CAT Telehander near my Hanger, so ein can pull the SN up and have a nice stance for that work.

At the last point I completely agree with you. Such a light boat should not be defaced in that wise. I scolded the seller because of that
Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Felix,
Nice looking boat...and Toyota

2 Peter 1:3Ė8
Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you unfortunately does not pull the X2 but itīs a nice ride for the Summer
Old 11-07-2019, 01:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210
I went through this recently with my Maristar project. I had marginal results at best with chemical strippers. I then pursued scraping and sanding which worked well but revealed another problem and that was when they scoured the hull to apply the bottom paint, they really gouged it - a lot. They also damaged the chines in quite a few places. The more I revealed the more I didn’t like what I saw.

Since I wanted it to be nice, I decided to sand all the gouges out and redo the gelcoat on the entire keel which was a huge labor investment. That didn’t bother me because I’m not trying to flip the boat for quick money but may be out of the realm of feasibility for you.

Looking at your situation, as much as this pains me to say, would you consider redoing the bottom paint? That would look appealing enough to most buyers and save you a ton of time. Maybe yours isn’t as gouged up as mine was, in which case you could possibly sand hard and rebuff it.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacNBlak View Post
I went through this recently with my Maristar project. I had marginal results at best with chemical strippers. I then pursued scraping and sanding which worked well but revealed another problem and that was when they scoured the hull to apply the bottom paint, they really gouged it - a lot. They also damaged the chines in quite a few places. The more I revealed the more I didnít like what I saw.

Since I wanted it to be nice, I decided to sand all the gouges out and redo the gelcoat on the entire keel which was a huge labor investment. That didnít bother me because Iím not trying to flip the boat for quick money but may be out of the realm of feasibility for you.

Looking at your situation, as much as this pains me to say, would you consider redoing the bottom paint? That would look appealing enough to most buyers and save you a ton of time. Maybe yours isnít as gouged up as mine was, in which case you could possibly sand hard and rebuff it.

My biggest concern is also that the material under the painting is not good.

I already had the idea of ​​painting the bottom again, but it really hurts to do such a thing to a boat. Even if i donīt want to drive it that long.

I ordered enough detergent and grinder to get a little further on the weekend i the weather stays good, then we'll see.
If the GFk is in good condition, it would be worth to think about a paintwork in shinny white like the rest of the Gelcoat. But that all aint cheap..

Iīll keep you updatet