Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-21-2019, 02:27 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar, 190, 1995, LT-1
Installing a new HeaterCraft in an old Mastercraft

I'm not asking questions this time, just some pics of today's project which has been a month or so in the works.

The old heater coil broke when I was reattaching the newly covered hoses last month. The copper pipe cracked off the coil. Also after I removed the hoses it turned out whoever installed it originally had cranked on the pipes so hard they were actually twisted and had started to crumple. So add that to the list of manufacturing problems I've found during this restoration job.

So I picked up a new heater from Bakes. It took a couple trips to get all the parts since these heaters come in individually purchased pieces. You get the box, and the coil, and the brackets and the blower all individually and assemble it yourself. So first they gave me just the box and coil and 1 bracket. Then I had to go back for a 2nd bracket and the blower.

Then it turned out the bolt pattern on the brackets don't match up at all with what you attach it to on the hull. Only 2 bolts would make it. So I wound up getting some aluminum bars (painted them red) and used them as an intermediate bracket to get everything mounted.

Also, the hoses are facing a different direction so my vent hoses I just replaced last month had to be replaced again with longer ones.

And the hose pipes are also on a different face so the water hoses wouldn't reach. So it took awhile to get the anodized hose clamps and fittings. I had ordered the brass 5/8" fittings off Amazon and they literally got shipped on a slow boat from China. Took about a month to show up. At least I wasn't in a hurry.

Got it all reassembled today.

Last edited by ilauder; 11-21-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Platinum Prostar 190
Does the blower just suck air from under the front deck, or do you have it running to one of the front intake vents?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:37 AM
TT Regular

I hooked it up the same way the original heater was setup. The front intakes vent air (and water) that comes over the bow down into the bilge. So the blower just sucks air in from under the front deck. There isn't any attachment on the blower for the air intake.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Platinum Prostar 190
I'm thinking of installing one, but never had one previously. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:44 PM
TT Regular

The old one was also a simple on/off switch. These new blowers can be hooked up to a variable flow switch (off/low/medium/high). If you want to mount the optional HeaterCraft switch. I just plugged it into the medium flow wire and left it a simple on/off.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 351W
Where do heaters pull their hot water from and return it to? Would like to get a heater installed but have never seen one plumbed.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:18 AM
TT Regular

At least on mine they come off the raw water pump. Marked in green. There is an on/off valve for the outgoing and another fitting for the return. They just go under the front of the bilge up to the heater box in the front hold.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 351W
I guess I'm a tad confused because the raw water pump water would be cold, unless that's where it's returning to after the heater? Gotta be drawing hot water out of the block or manifold somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilauder View Post
At least on mine they come off the raw water pump. Marked in green. There is an on/off valve for the outgoing and another fitting for the return. They just go under the front of the bilge up to the heater box in the front hold.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:44 AM
TT Regular

Your going to have to talk to a mechanic. I'm not an engine guy, aside from this being my first time tearing into one. So don't take my word as any kind of expert. I haven't followed the flow of all the hoses. This is how it came plumbed from the factory. And I don't have a shop manual to look at to get the part names straight. So the part with the impeller I recall is the raw water pump. That feeds into the component that has the brass fitting with the on/off value. Then the 2nd hose is attached to a fitting on the engine, which I guess would be the hot water. I ordered the boat originally with the heater system so this is how it came. And I'm just replacing old parts, not rigging anything new.