Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 03-26-2020, 03:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1985 MasterCraft S&S 351W
85 S&S Carpet

Hi everyone, I read through a bunch of forums about people replacing their carpets. I read that people recommend the 20oz stuff. My question is how do you match up the colors? I was looking at boat carpets.com and found the navy blue 6431. Will this be close enough? Just looking for some tips about picking the right one. Thanks everyone!

https://boatcarpet.com/product/delux...pet-8-ft-wide/
Old 03-26-2020, 07:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendaggs1 View Post
Hi everyone, I read through a bunch of forums about people replacing their carpets. I read that people recommend the 20oz stuff. My question is how do you match up the colors? I was looking at boat carpets.com and found the navy blue 6431. Will this be close enough? Just looking for some tips about picking the right one. Thanks everyone!

https://boatcarpet.com/product/delux...pet-8-ft-wide/
As long as you are replacing the majority of the visible carpet any color of your preference will work. For me...the blue and red OEM carpet saturates my eyes after being in the boat for a full day, week in and week out, then year in and year out....therefore I have gone to putting in a dark gray (gun metal type color). Easy on the eyes for a long time, still looks good, and doesn't show dirt or dirty water bad. A lighter gray of silver color will show dirty water and traffic flow.

Twenty ounce is what I like but everyone has a different preference. Mainly because it comes in short cut pile and various colors where the 24 and up tends to be less selective with berber carpet. Your mileage may vary. Twenty four will lay in nicely (DIY) because there is nothing sitting on top of the carpet, where later models have part of the deck mold sitting on top of the carpet and unless you lift the deck, the 24 oz is hard to get under the lip of the deck (to floor). The 20 ounce will fit under said deck moldings.

So you have the best of both choices by virtue of the 85 model and the way it is put together.

I have found best drop-ship prices at Wholesale Marine dot com. for marine carpet. I typically buy the 25' role then have carpet left for the inside of the fenders and the bunks.

I will say this...2 must do tips for ease and looks (respectively):
  • Use the old carpet as a template for cutting new (always cut oversize then trim) so don't go ripping it out like a wild man.
  • Make sure each piece you cut and lay in goes in with the same direction of sweep of the cut pile threads. Run your hand across it and make sure the carpet sweeps from back to front (or front to back) on every piece. When you vacuum it it will look really nice.

I can also share a tip for gluing and seering the edges where it wraps down over the edges of the floor. Don't kill yourself with the standard floor glue (one gallon will do the 85 hull) trying to wrap the edges. There is an easy trick for that. Ask me if you are interested.

Your 85 is a 19 Skier model.

$0.02
Attached Images

2 Peter 1:3Ė8

Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-26-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PROSTAR 190
I just had my 96 190 done last year. Understand it is very labor intensive especially ripping out the old and scraping. With the color just be careful that dark colors are very hot on your feet when bare footed. I had a medium gray about the same color and looked very good and not hot to the touch
Old 03-26-2020, 08:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PROSTAR 190
Also found impossible to match colors so did whole boat
Old 03-27-2020, 11:32 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
As long as you are replacing the majority of the visible carpet any color of your preference will work. For me...the blue and red OEM carpet saturates my eyes after being in the boat for a full day, week in and week out, then year in and year out....therefore I have gone to putting in a dark gray (gun metal type color). Easy on the eyes for a long time, still looks good, and doesn't show dirt or dirty water bad. A lighter gray of silver color will show dirty water and traffic flow.

Twenty ounce is what I like but everyone has a different preference. Mainly because it comes in short cut pile and various colors where the 24 and up tends to be less selective with berber carpet. Your mileage may vary. Twenty four will lay in nicely (DIY) because there is nothing sitting on top of the carpet, where later models have part of the deck mold sitting on top of the carpet and unless you lift the deck, the 24 oz is hard to get under the lip of the deck (to floor). The 20 ounce will fit under said deck moldings.

So you have the best of both choices by virtue of the 85 model and the way it is put together.

I have found best drop-ship prices at Wholesale Marine dot com. for marine carpet. I typically buy the 25' role then have carpet left for the inside of the fenders and the bunks.

I will say this...2 must do tips for ease and looks (respectively):
  • Use the old carpet as a template for cutting new (always cut oversize then trim) so don't go ripping it out like a wild man.
  • Make sure each piece you cut and lay in goes in with the same direction of sweep of the cut pile threads. Run your hand across it and make sure the carpet sweeps from back to front (or front to back) on every piece. When you vacuum it it will look really nice.

I can also share a tip for gluing and seering the edges where it wraps down over the edges of the floor. Don't kill yourself with the standard floor glue (one gallon will do the 85 hull) trying to wrap the edges. There is an easy trick for that. Ask me if you are interested.

Your 85 is a 19 Skier model.

$0.02
This helps a lot. I appreciate all the info. Iím extremely interested in any tips or tricks you have about doing the edges. I just dropped off my interior today to have it re done before summer. Hopefully, Iíll have this boat looking beautiful before summer!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
This helps a lot. I appreciate all the info. I’m extremely interested in any tips or tricks you have about doing the edges. I just dropped off my interior today to have it re done before summer. Hopefully, I’ll have this boat looking beautiful before summer!
Have the upholstery people put in heating pads for the driver's seat and the passenger set (bottom and back on each). Two sets of heat pads are less than $75 and easy to install while the upholstery is being re-done. I presume you are getting new foam as well. When they put in the foam and lay the pad(s) down have then cut a small trench where the sheathed wiring lays across the foam (any small point, even an inch or so) to reach the exit point of the upholstery. Lay the cable in the trench, then there will be another thin layer of material (or should be) under the upholstery. This will eliminate any opportunity for the wiring to be seen under the upholstery.

It's a simple process but often one has to go to the shop (hold point) and make sure it gets in correctly to your (my) satisfaction. The wiring and switches are very easy to install yourself The upholstery place will not have to do any wiring, just lay in the pads and leave a pig tail sticking out. Plan exactly where you want the wiring to route to the switch so you can tell them where to exit the pig tail.

Make sure they use marine upholstery. Automotive upholstery is different. Inspect the bill of lading or the shipping bill of material for designated marine upholstery. There is a difference. See the attached PDF file at the bottom of this post. In that file there is a heading on the page where the file originated. Click on it and use that site as a benchmark for information you may want to consider.

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Upholstery skins Marine Vinyl.pdf (72.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-28-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Have the upholstery people put in heating pads for the driver's seat and the passenger set (bottom and back on each). Two sets of heat pads are less than $75 and easy to install while the upholstery is being re-done. I presume you are getting new foam as well. When they put in the foam and lay the pad(s) down have then cut a small trench where the sheathed wiring lays across the foam (any small point, even an inch or so) to reach the exit point of the upholstery. Lay the cable in the trench, then there will be another thin layer of material (or should be) under the upholstery. This will eliminate any opportunity for the wiring to be seen under the upholstery.

It's a simple process but often one has to go to the shop (hold point) and make sure it gets in correctly to your (my) satisfaction. The wiring and switches are very easy to install yourself The upholstery place will not have to do any wiring, just lay in the pads and leave a pig tail sticking out. Plan exactly where you want the wiring to route to the switch so you can tell them where to exit the pig tail.

Make sure they use marine upholstery. Automotive upholstery is different. Inspect the bill of lading or the shipping bill of material for designated marine upholstery. There is a difference. See the attached PDF file at the bottom of this post. In that file there is a heading on the page where the file originated. Click on it and use that site as a benchmark for information you may want to consider.

Awesome, thank you for all the help. We ordered the carpet from wholesale marine. What adhesive did you use? Doing some research on that now. Iíll update with pictures once we get it in and start taking out the old stuff.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAVIS View Post
I just had my 96 190 done last year. Understand it is very labor intensive especially ripping out the old and scraping. With the color just be careful that dark colors are very hot on your feet when bare footed. I had a medium gray about the same color and looked very good and not hot to the touch
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Awesome, thank you for all the help. We ordered the carpet from wholesale marine. What adhesive did you use? Doing some research on that now. Iíll update with pictures once we get it in and start taking out the old stuff.
I used their readily available 1 gallon can.