• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkmason
    TT Enthusiast
    • Mar 2006

Long Term Fiberglass Blistering

Hi, I'm looking for advice from anyone with experience related to long-term fiberglass hull blistering. Yesterday I was asked by my friend to take a look at a 3 - 4 year old baptismal tub in his church that has developed problems. It's a gelcoated fiberglass tub that they keep water in constantly as their religion requires. There are blisters all over the gelcoat surface below the waterline. My friend asked me to take a look, since as a boat owner he thought I might have some insight into the cause. What I saw is classic blistering due to prolonged contact with water.

My question is; will this continuing water inflitration under the gelcoat and into the fiberglass eventually cause the tub to leak? Right now it's just a cosmetic issue, but they are wondering if it will become more serious. Would leaving the tub empty and dry except when in use halt the progression of further damage from the current blisters, or is the damage going to eventually lead to leakage no matter what they do now? I don't have any experience with the consequences of long term water inflitration on a gelcoated fiberglass structure like this tub. Thx
  • mikeg205
    MC Master Poster
    • Aug 2011

When people get in they crack the blisters causing water contact with fiberglass... get a vinyl liner for the tub.. call it a day

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Working...
    X