Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-21-2020, 12:30 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1
Well, we started our relocation this weekend so progress will slow on the boat for a few weeks. I was laid off because of a shortage of work due to the corona nightmare. Luckily I had thought this would happen and had another job lined up incase it did.
So now we are moving back to my hometown on the Olympic Peninsula. It was just over 400 miles so I replaced wheel bearings on the trailer before the drive, and it did great!
Hes a few pictures of the trip and the boat in its temporary resting place.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2020, 11:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Wow, sorry to hear about the job! But glad you got another job....long way away though. Congrats and hope the move is great!!

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-22-2020, 12:49 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Wow, sorry to hear about the job! But glad you got another job....long way away though. Congrats and hope the move is great!!
Thanks! Yeah, its been a wild few weeks. We are really sad to leave this area, but my new job is with the state so there is a good chance we will be able to transfer back over here eventually.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205 EFI
I love this boat. The white hull with the blue metal flake is awesome. My 83 is the light gray hull with blue metal flake. I like it and all, but the white hull makes the blue flake really pop. Nice find. Would love to feel the difference of my 351 engine compared to your 440! Have you tried to see what the top speed is? I'm very curious.

I had to reply mainly because I am in complete disbelief that waterlogged has finally come out to admit the truth on the 83.5 composite/fiberglass stringers. He and I have had a few conversations on stringers before. I'm just glad the truth is finally being told. Haha... j/k waterlogged. ;-)

As for the stringers, waterlogged did an excellent job spelling out the differences and explaining how your 83.5 was constructed. I have considered several times tearing out the floor in my 83.5 to pull out any saturated foam. Heck, I've considered doing it in my 94 205 as well. Very similar construction technique to the 83.5+ boats with composite stringers and foam that is likely saturated (or at least partially) by this point in the boats life. In order to get all the foam out, you would need to cut out the floor and the top(s) of the composite stringer to access the foam below. I had considered doing this and then re-glass the tops of the composite stringers back in with epoxy resin before putting the floor back in place. I would suggest epoxy (as does waterlogged) due to its excellent strength and adhesion. Epoxy bonds very well to polyester resin fiberglass if it is clean and roughened up. Adding new foam is an option and technically the right thing to do for flotation. This method would be much less disruptive to the hull and give you a better chance of retaining the original hull shape. Do be careful if you remove the stringers (wood or composite) all at once down to the hull as the hull will then easily twist/sag/taco depending how it is supported. Sitting on the trailer is NOT a sufficient means of supporting the hull if the stringers are completely removed down to the hull all at once. Just keep this in mind if anyone heads that direction.

Great project, and enjoy!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC351stars View Post
I love this boat. The white hull with the blue metal flake is awesome. My 83 is the light gray hull with blue metal flake. I like it and all, but the white hull makes the blue flake really pop. Nice find. Would love to feel the difference of my 351 engine compared to your 440! Have you tried to see what the top speed is? I'm very curious.

I had to reply mainly because I am in complete disbelief that waterlogged has finally come out to admit the truth on the 83.5 composite/fiberglass stringers. He and I have had a few conversations on stringers before. I'm just glad the truth is finally being told. Haha... j/k waterlogged. ;-)

As for the stringers, waterlogged did an excellent job spelling out the differences and explaining how your 83.5 was constructed. I have considered several times tearing out the floor in my 83.5 to pull out any saturated foam. Heck, I've considered doing it in my 94 205 as well. Very similar construction technique to the 83.5+ boats with composite stringers and foam that is likely saturated (or at least partially) by this point in the boats life. In order to get all the foam out, you would need to cut out the floor and the top(s) of the composite stringer to access the foam below. I had considered doing this and then re-glass the tops of the composite stringers back in with epoxy resin before putting the floor back in place. I would suggest epoxy (as does waterlogged) due to its excellent strength and adhesion. Epoxy bonds very well to polyester resin fiberglass if it is clean and roughened up. Adding new foam is an option and technically the right thing to do for flotation. This method would be much less disruptive to the hull and give you a better chance of retaining the original hull shape. Do be careful if you remove the stringers (wood or composite) all at once down to the hull as the hull will then easily twist/sag/taco depending how it is supported. Sitting on the trailer is NOT a sufficient means of supporting the hull if the stringers are completely removed down to the hull all at once. Just keep this in mind if anyone heads that direction.

Great project, and enjoy!
Thanks for the kind words. It's always a pleasure to stop by and talk boats as I always learn from your tips and work going on in your shop. Hope all is well with you and the family. I suspect you are still flying as well.

To the original poster, Mr. Moclackens, your boat looks great. Enjoy it all you can before you come back here asking about winterizing. It's just around the corner for 2020.

Happy boating to all...

2 Peter 1:38
Old 07-31-2020, 06:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Thanks for the thread! Back in the mid-80's a good high school buddy's family had a very similar boat. It was blue flake like this one, but they found in the sea of blue flake one little orange flake. Always got a kick out of that.

Good luck on the restoration!!!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddy View Post
Thanks for the thread! Back in the mid-80's a good high school buddy's family had a very similar boat. It was blue flake like this one, but they found in the sea of blue flake one little orange flake. Always got a kick out of that.

Good luck on the restoration!!!
I get it. Most won't. Some folks are eaten up with it. Especially here in the hood.

2 Peter 1:38