Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 04:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '06 X30, '18 NXT22, buying a 2019 x22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Tookey- Does your boat have premium audio option? Dash speakers, and 2 subs??
Yes, I have the dash speakers and the 2 subs. If I have time tomorrow I may try, my MC shop has it down to come in on Thursday and out Friday as I will no mater what use it this weekend! LOL
Old 09-15-2020, 04:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 XT22
Quote:
Tookey- Does your boat have premium audio option? Dash speakers, and 2 subs??

If so, it is VERY likely that the issue is with the ignition solenoid/relay that is located on your amp rack. If you pull the cover off your amps, and look near the front portion of the amp rack (ahead of your amps/dsp), youll see where your battery cables come in, as well as the distribution for power and ground. In that group of big cables, you'll see a solenoid type relay. It has 4 total terminals on it. 2 large terminals, and 2 small terminals.

now..... On the large terminals, you should have the following. On one of the large terminals, there should be a large battery cable from your house battery. It will likely be labeled as such. On the other large terminal should be the two big power wires that go to your amplifiers, as well as a small wire (maybe 14 or 16 gauge) that is the power wire for your screens....

The two small terminals are for activation of that relay (one ground, and one power from your key switch).

If you want to see if this is the issue, here is what you can do (if you are feeling like a DIY diagnosis)-

-Turn off battery switch
-Remove amp cover
-Locate solenoid and confirm wires. Confirm large terminal wires as described above.
-Turn battery switch on, and turn key on. If you are lucky, the screens wont boot up.
-If they fail to boot up, use a screwdriver to cross the two large terminals together and hold the screwdriver in there to keep the connection. Make sure the screwdriver doesn't touch anything else!! Just the two LARGE solenoid terminals.
-Have someone verify that the screens boot up.
-If they do, youll need to order that solenoid/relay.

I will include the part number in a following post.
Do you know why MC even uses this solenoid/relay? The Klipsch amplifiers have built in relays to turn off when the DSP turns off the remote signal. I bypassed the solenoid by connecting the 1/0 power wire directly to the distribution block and it stopped killing batteries when I accidentally leave the switch on. Now when I turn my key off, the screen tells the DSP to shut off which turns the amps off. After 20 minutes the dual screen system shuts down and there is minimal power draw off the batteries. It seems like anyone with a 2018+ that has killed a battery is probably due to the poor wiring of this solenoid/relay.

FYI my relay was controlled by the battery switch, not the key switch. 2018 XT22 w/dual screen premium audio. I'm guessing other systems are wired the same way as I doubt owners are accidentally killing their batteries by leaving the key switch on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tookeymonster View Post
Yes, I have the dash speakers and the 2 subs. If I have time tomorrow I may try, my MC shop has it down to come in on Thursday and out Friday as I will no mater what use it this weekend! LOL

Tookey- To add to FourForty's suggestion, instead of using a screwdriver to short the two terminals of the relay together, you can bypass the relay by moving the house battery cable to the same terminal as the amps are connected to.

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications
Old 09-15-2020, 05:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
Quote:

If it is the relay, they will likely need to order it. That said, I can easily set you up with a way to bypass it and run the boat. Eecyclone covers it below as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
Do you know why MC even uses this solenoid/relay? The Klipsch amplifiers have built in relays to turn off when the DSP turns off the remote signal. I bypassed the solenoid by connecting the 1/0 power wire directly to the distribution block and it stopped killing batteries when I accidentally leave the switch on. Now when I turn my key off, the screen tells the DSP to shut off which turns the amps off. After 20 minutes the dual screen system shuts down and there is minimal power draw off the batteries. It seems like anyone with a 2018+ that has killed a battery is probably due to the poor wiring of this solenoid/relay.

FYI my relay was controlled by the battery switch, not the key switch. 2018 XT22 w/dual screen premium audio. I'm guessing other systems are wired the same way as I doubt owners are accidentally killing their batteries by leaving the key switch on.

Tookey- To add to FourForty's suggestion, instead of using a screwdriver to short the two terminals of the relay together, you can bypass the relay by moving the house battery cable to the same terminal as the amps are connected to.
Your boat is wired differently than Tookeys. Tookeys is wired specifically so there is zero draw on the house battery with the key off. His solenoid doesnít pull in unless the key is on. Yours pulled in when the battery switch was turned on, which causes a draw whenever your battery switch was on. No idea why they wired it that way on those, but Tookeys X22 is set up different.

That said, he could just combine all those wires on the large terminals on that relay, and it would work till he gets a new relay. However, his screens wonít shut off until he shuts the battery switch off. Not an issue as long as you remember to turn batt switch off. It would allow him to run the boat with all functions until the new relay is installed.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
If it is the relay, they will likely need to order it. That said, I can easily set you up with a way to bypass it and run the boat. Eecyclone covers it below as well.

Your boat is wired differently than Tookeys. Tookeys is wired specifically so there is zero draw on the house battery with the key off. His solenoid doesnít pull in unless the key is on. Yours pulled in when the battery switch was turned on, which causes a draw whenever your battery switch was on. No idea why they wired it that way on those, but Tookeys X22 is set up different.

That said, he could just combine all those wires on the large terminals on that relay, and it would work till he gets a new relay. However, his screens wonít shut off until he shuts the battery switch off. Not an issue as long as you remember to turn batt switch off. It would allow him to run the boat with all functions until the new relay is installed.
Do your screens have a timed shut-off when the key is off? My screens fully shut down after 20-30-60 minutes (haven't timed it specifically). I think the PDM's have the same timed shutdown or they are linked together somehow.

If a relay was truly required, I would just use a 30A bosch relay for $5 on just the screen power, and let the amps use their internal relays.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
Quote:
Do your screens have a timed shut-off when the key is off? My screens fully shut down after 20-30-60 minutes (haven't timed it specifically). I think the PDM's have the same timed shutdown or they are linked together somehow.

If a relay was truly required, I would just use a 30A bosch relay for $5 on just the screen power, and let the amps use their internal relays.
I don't disagree...Ö However, the setup does work in its current form, with the exception of a rare relay failure, and there is a chance of the average consumer getting themselves in a warranty snafu by changing their wiring around. For you and I, that is probably a good plan, but maybe not so much for the average consumer.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
I don't disagree...Ö However, the setup does work in its current form, with the exception of a rare relay failure, and there is a chance of the average consumer getting themselves in a warranty snafu by changing their wiring around. For you and I, that is probably a good plan, but maybe not so much for the average consumer.

100% agree. Modifying the electrical system is not recommended for the average owner, itís just puzzling to me why it was designed like that in the first place.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Don't turn the key or battery switch On and Off repeatedly- electronic devices that use microprocessors don't like that and it can cause major problems.

The only things that should operate when the battery switch is in the OFF position is the bilge pump(s). If anything else operates, especially if it was added, it's wrong.

Test the batteries with a carbon pile tester for 15 seconds (according to Interstate's tech support), not a hand-held one with the digital display. This will show the capacity for cranking current and if it falls on its face quickly, the battery/batteries need to be replaced. The smallest ring terminals should be at the top of the stack if more than one cable is attached to a battery post. Sealed lead/acid batteries can and do boil out from heat and overcharging, so they do need to be tested.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
100% agree. Modifying the electrical system is not recommended for the average owner, itís just puzzling to me why it was designed like that in the first place.
To be honest, I wouldn't even recommend that for the average service technician- electrical systems are not well understood by most mechanics and when it comes to finicky grounding & limiting voltage loss, there are a lot of people out there who cause problems, even with the best of intentions.

Malibu had problems with noise in their audio systems in about 2000, caused by bad grounding, bundling the audio cables with the power wires and locating the head unit near the main harness from the rear of the boat to the dash. Not only was that from bad design, the solution was very simple but they were willing to pay three hours of labor at full shop rate because they didn't know how to eliminate this.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X22
Quote:
Next question is, there are 3 positions on the key is the middle off or is it all the way to the left?
Middle (Vertical) is off. I think to the left is the equivalent of the "Accessory" position to run the stereo but not engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
TM, not sure if this is your issue at all, but I learned the hard way not to leave the battery switch on for any time period other than when using the boat.

Not only do these new boats draw a ton of power, but they might do so when off, and most importantly, they need fully charged larger batteries to keep running happy. Cannot tell you the parasitic draw but as example the Klipsch remote can stay lit even when the key and dash are shut down. Never had an issue since learning to switch off batteries every time. Good luck.
100% spot on. I can tell you the rear facing camera's IR/night lights stay on if the battery switch is on, but boat is off. I'm sure there's plenty of other things I can't see that stay on too.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '06 X30, '18 NXT22, buying a 2019 x22
Its at the MC shop, after all it is under warranty. I will have it back by the weekend.