• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captain planet
    MC Platinum
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jbmccul View Post
    When I'm backing down a ramp with my boat, unless I'm driving a manual transmission, I leave the vehicle in 'D' and let the tranny hold me back a little. If the ramp isn't steep enough and the rig won't go backwards, I put it in 'N' and let gravity do the work. To me, there is nothing dumber than watching someone back down a steep ramp...and they put it in 'R'....and then wonder why they have to put their foot through the floorboard trying to stop the truck/trailer from going into the water while their front tires are skidding down the ramp.....just stoooopid. These folks learned nothing from Newton and his apple.
    2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

"The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone is likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before." - Albert Einstein

Comment

• MC25
      MC Master Poster
      • Nov 2007

I always back down in R. Granted my foot never leaves the brake.
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• CantRepeat
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by captain planet View Post
        Am I the only one here that backs down the ramp in D? Maybe in neutral on a shallow ramp, but never in reverse.
        Forcing the transmission to rotate in reverse while the pump is forcing fluid in the other direction can't be good for the clutches or pump.

So yeah, you're the only one.
        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• jbmccul
          MC Maniac
          • Jan 2015

When I'm backing down a ramp with my boat, unless I'm driving a manual transmission, I leave the vehicle in 'D' and let the tranny hold me back a little. If the ramp isn't steep enough and the rig won't go backwards, I put it in 'N' and let gravity do the work. To me, there is nothing dumber than watching someone back down a steep ramp...and they put it in 'R'....and then wonder why they have to put their foot through the floorboard trying to stop the truck/trailer from going into the water while their front tires are skidding down the ramp.....just stoooopid. These folks learned nothing from Newton and his apple.
          'N' I understand, but my 4Runner won't roll backwards in 'D'. It might get drug backwards but I can't imagine a scenario in which that would be good for a vehicle.
          2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
          2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
          Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
          Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

• LDA6339
            MC Maniac
            • May 2016

As long as you have the windows rolled down so if your rig did give up and send you swimming you can get out of the car you can do whatever you want in my book CP.
            2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

• lakedrum03
              MC Devotee
              • Jul 2017

Am I the only one here that backs down the ramp in D? Maybe in neutral on a shallow ramp, but never in reverse.
              never done it in Drive. No sense in spinning the tranny backwards. I usually back in the boat with the transmission in Neutral.

Comment

• captain planet
                MC Platinum
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jbmccul View Post
                'N' I understand, but my 4Runner won't roll backwards in 'D'. It might get drug backwards but I can't imagine a scenario in which that would be good for a vehicle.
                Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                never done it in Drive. No sense in spinning the tranny backwards. I usually back in the boat with the transmission in Neutral.
                Actually now that I think about it, I was more in 'N' than 'D' at our ramp with the Suburban. When I had my Ranger I left it in D all the time. I know when I put in my Father's pontoon boat a couple times at our ramp I left it in 'D' because it was pretty heavy.

"The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone is likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before." - Albert Einstein

Comment

• CantRepeat
                  • Jul 2008

Actually now that I think about it, I was more in 'N' than 'D' at our ramp with the Suburban. When I had my Ranger I left it in D all the time. I know when I put in my Father's pontoon boat a couple times at our ramp I left it in 'D' because it was pretty heavy.
                  And didn’t you have trans issues with that suburban?? I wonder why.
                  -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• captain planet
                    MC Platinum
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                    And didn’t you have trans issues with that suburban?? I wonder why.
                    Nope, no tranny or engine issues with the Suburban. In 2000 GM knew how to make an engine. It was rust, bearings, and all those other things that made me get rid of that vehicle. It ran fine. Good try though.

Comment

• ahhudgins
                      MC Maniac
                      • Jun 2009

Our ramp is extremely steep and I've backed down in neutral for over 30 years...until after last summer. My F150 has the useless rear drum brakes and we had gravel washed onto the ramp after a heavy rain. Once the front started to slide I was pumping the brakes like crazy until I got off of the gravel. Someone here mentioned backing down in drive and it works great. You should have seen the skid marks in my shorts.
                      Attached Files
                      “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

• roadster02
                        MC Devotee
                        • Oct 2013

If you try to go down the ramp in D with a diesel it will stop, or almost go forward up the ramp at an Idle. I do Neutral and let er roll, but at a controlled speed.

Comment

Working...
                        X