Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Macgomes

What accessories, if any, do you guys use?

Hey guys I'm planning on starting running soon (within a week or so) and I'm trying to gear myself up at the moment for it as I've never done it seriously before.

I was wondering what kind of accessories do you guys use or recommend while running? I'm going to be purchasing a pair of running shoes and something to put my phone in to stop it bouncing around probably but that's all I've got so far!

In case it's relevant I'll most likely be starting with a C25K program and just push myself as far as I can go from there. I'm running to just improve my fitness for sports and such rather than to lose weight or something similarAppvalley TutuApp Tweakbox

Last edited by Macgomes; 09-29-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Looking
To start that is all you need, maybe a running watch (Garmin, Fitbit, Apple etc) if you want to track distance and pace that closely. As your distances increase then maybe a hydration belt or a water bottle with a strap for you to hold while running. Also a foam roller to use after your run.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
GPS watch is about all I would say.
I don't carry water unless more than ~9miles.

If you really want to get in good shape, do a HIIT style workout. I do F3 and it is free and awesome. www.f3nation.com
Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
If you use Android, I highly recommend Garmin watch... excellent accuracy, great battery life, quality products. If you use Apple, then nothing will compare to the Apple watch.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current 2019 x24, old boat 2015 X23
I just started week 6 of C25k. Apple Watch is great and a good pair of running shoes makes a difference. I went to a local running store the spent the time with me to explain different shoe types and they took pictures of me running to help me improve my form.

Good luck with the program. I never liked running so I usually listen to a podcast and try to zone out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-04-2019, 05:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
I'd suggest finding a local running shoe store (if you have one in your area) where they can do some custom fitting and help select a shoe somewhat specific to your gait. You will be putting lots of stress into ankles, knees and hips, you want a good pair of shoes.

(Just saw post above - ditto that!!)
Old 10-04-2019, 07:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I hate running as well but started doing it more. My wife ran cross country and runs 5 days a week. I got a Garmin watch. Your phone can track your runs, but the Garmin is nice to monitor your heart rate as you're running.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 04:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: No one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgomes View Post
Hey guys I'm planning on starting running soon (within a week or so) and I'm trying to gear myself up at the moment for it as I've never done it seriously before.

I was wondering what kind of accessories do you guys use or recommend while running? I'm going to be purchasing a pair of running shoes and something to put my phone app in to stop it bouncing around probably but that's all I've got so far!

In case it's relevant I'll most likely be starting with a C25K program and just push myself as far as I can go from there. I'm running to just improve my fitness for sports and such rather than to lose weight or something similar
Definitely invest well into some shoes. I personally just carry my phone. I like to be able and see if I get a text, change songs or answer calls. Good luck on the improvements! My only advice (since I'm not familiar with C25K, I just run) is just start slowwww. Don't feel bad if you see people passing you, or you sprint really fast for a minute because you see a hot girl or something lol. Just find a steady pace and block out the world!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:27 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmorgan View Post
Definitely invest well into some shoes. I personally just carry my phone. I like to be able and see if I get a text, change songs or answer calls. Good luck on the improvements! My only advice (since I'm not familiar with C25K, I just run) is just start slowwww. Don't feel bad if you see people passing you, or you sprint really fast for a minute because you see a hot girl or something lol. Just find a steady pace and block out the world!
I second this on the shoes. Don't spend less that $150 a pair (you want a premium pair) and replace them every 350-400 miles. Your shoes are the most important tool for running.

A running watch with a chest strap heart monitor is nice (don't depend on the wrist HR monitoring), you don't have to spend $500 for one. I just bought a Garmin Forerunner 735XT for $250 and it does everything you will need.

Running socks and running underwear are important to reduce blisters and chaffing.

And start slow, set up your HR monitor to alarm if you heart rate gets too high (mine is around 165 bpm) and have fun. Running can be very relaxing and stress relieving if done properly.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 205 TBI
I'd suggest scuba gear, some wetsuit boots and a weight belt, that way you should be able to run underwater. If you want some tunes, I suggest a waterproof pouch for the phone and some waterproof Bluetooth earbuds.

And maybe a wetsuit.