Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 03-24-2020, 03:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Prostar 205 LT1
I think the biggest part of "Never look down" is that your body movements follow your head movements. So you can kind of glimpse by moving your eyes but not so much that it creates a head and body movement. If you are looking down course or in some instances cross course you know where you are. You feel it. You'll know if you are getting around the buoys. I'm sure slalom junkie has better verbiage for this.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Prostar 205 LT1
Disclaimer on my part: I am barely a 22 off skier at 30 mph so you are not that far behind me
Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: NA
I wish i had a dollar for every buoy I ever missed because I short pulled
Old 03-24-2020, 04:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Full Pass? I want you to come out and watch me ski haha
Obviously he was inside some of the balls - that really something I really don't care about when learning he made all 6 turns in roughly correct timing (for what it needs to be) and kept skiing. In a wetsuit. In march.

About how you know if you made it or not ask yourself a different question... If you looked at the ball and missed it - WTH are you going to do about it? Back up? If you ski inside in a tournament and keep skiing your score is going to be the ball you went inside. They'll let you know at the end of the lake (heck if you do it with confidence in a class F they might just tell you that you made it and ask if you want the next pass to make you feel good)

With dog training you always hear you're raising the dog not the puppy - so to that end consider short-line slalom. I'd wager Terry knows if he was going to make that ball or not the minute he crossed center line. His eyes are probably seeing the ball here but he's not looking down.

I wonder if he knows if he missed it...

Point is of course you're going to be looking at the ball but at a certain point you have to start being mindful get your eyes up.

With the windshield bit its about keeping your head level and your vision where it should be. The ball will come back into view as you come behind the boat and you can look at (really above the ball) and ski out to it, consider it sort of like imagining there is a flat plane level with the heads of your boat crew. Everything below that plane is distractions, wakes, rollers, buoys (maybe animals) but your body and vision exist above that plane. When you see the ball at first its down maybe only a few degrees and you can get away with looking at it, but as you ski towards the wakes it gets lower and lower and as you get out towards it the ball is down. If you can avoid picking it up with a hard focus and instead keep a good general vision above it you won't get suckered into coming in fetal.

That was hard for me, I used to shoot a lot of trap and skeet. And in those sports it was vision and trying to pick up a hard focus on the orange disc. Sometimes I still catch myself thinking like that when slalom skiing.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC FEVER View Post
I think the biggest part of "Never look down" is that your body movements follow your head movements. So you can kind of glimpse by moving your eyes but not so much that it creates a head and body movement. If you are looking down course or in some instances cross course you know where you are. You feel it. You'll know if you are getting around the buoys. I'm sure slalom junkie has better verbiage for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC FEVER View Post
Disclaimer on my part: I am barely a 22 off skier at 30 mph so you are not that far behind me
All makes sense MC FEVER, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post

Point is of course you're going to be looking at the ball but at a certain point you have to start being mindful get your eyes up.

With the windshield bit its about keeping your head level and your vision where it should be. The ball will come back into view as you come behind the boat and you can look at (really above the ball) and ski out to it, consider it sort of like imagining there is a flat plane level with the heads of your boat crew. Everything below that plane is distractions, wakes, rollers, buoys (maybe animals) but your body and vision exist above that plane. When you see the ball at first its down maybe only a few degrees and you can get away with looking at it, but as you ski towards the wakes it gets lower and lower and as you get out towards it the ball is down. If you can avoid picking it up with a hard focus and instead keep a good general vision above it you won't get suckered into coming in fetal.

That was hard for me, I used to shoot a lot of trap and skeet. And in those sports it was vision and trying to pick up a hard focus on the orange disc. Sometimes I still catch myself thinking like that when slalom skiing.

great explanation 88, thank you.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Great job PaintPollz!!! Keep up the great work.