Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar, 190, 1995, LT-1
I've had this boat since new in 1995 and have been driving it like this for many years. And I'm not the only one that just noticed this new noise. Its never done this before. It could have been softer in the past but I can hear it with the engine cover down and with all the other boat noise on the lake. If its not really a problem and I'm not risking causing more damage to something if I keep running it like this, I'm fine with that. But I've learned the hard way more than once to not ignore things like this.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilauder View Post
I've had this boat since new in 1995 and have been driving it like this for many years. And I'm not the only one that just noticed this new noise. Its never done this before. It could have been softer in the past but I can hear it with the engine cover down and with all the other boat noise on the lake. If its not really a problem and I'm not risking causing more damage to something if I keep running it like this, I'm fine with that. But I've learned the hard way more than once to not ignore things like this.
Ahh - thanks for the background. I get why you are more concerned.

I had a 95 LT1 with the slot in the summers of 2014 and 2015. What a great boat and one of the more bad arse boats I have owned. I had thought my damper plate was shot and was preparing to do a full rebuild when I noticed some weird noises when I would hit reverse. I kept asking questions and looking for all possibilities. In the end it was just the silly bushings on the strut that were making the noise.

Good luck man
Old 09-16-2019, 06:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar, 190, 1995, LT-1
I've got enough ideas now. Its going to hit 1000 hours pretty soon and I'm in the process of redoing the whole boat. Mostly cosmetic stuff (repainting, new carpet & upholstery, new lighting). The noise thing just started and added one more thing to my todo list.

Changed the ATF fluid today and sprayed some lube around the area, didn't help anything. Then almost ran out of gas just leaving the dock when the fuel gauge still read 1/4 full today. Barely got back to the dock as the engine was dying.

Yet another project today pulling out the gas tank and adjusting the low fuel sensor screw.

Rebuilding the transmission, new bearings and replacing some other parts like the strut bearings and damper plate might get added to the winter project list just because they haven't been touched in going on 25 years.