Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-30-2020, 10:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-10
01 x10 Oil inside flame arrestor.

I've owned this boat for two seasons now. I love it but its been a PITA Last year right after purchasing I found out it had a bent drive shaft and strut from the previous owner hitting something. They had the prop fixed and failed to let me know any of this. long story short I replaced them both and hit the water for the remainder of the season. This year I have ran the boat nearly every weekend and haven't experienced any problems up til now.

I was getting ready to change the oil when I noticed oil sitting on top of my block. It looks to have been coming through the pcv valve into the intake and out the bottom of the flame arrestor.

I talked to a mechanic friend of mine who also owns a master craft and got his opinion on it. he suggested to replace the pcv, and replace both valve cover grommets to start with and see if any of those were causing a vacuum problem and allowing oil in.

I also plan to do a compression test tomorrow and see what my readings are.

Does anyone have any other advice or possible solutions to my problem?
Old 07-31-2020, 12:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: x30 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully_6 View Post

Does anyone have any other advice or possible solutions to my problem?
warm up the engine, turn up to 3000 rpm without including the transmission, and open the oil filler neck.If there is a lot of steam and oil splashes, then get ready to replace the oil rings.