Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 11:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190, 2008 MasterCraft X-15
Boat Lift Canopy Extensions

Hey TT,
Ive got a ShoreMaster 6010DVS lift with an aftermarket canopy frame with about only 2' of depth. I want to either add extensions to the frame or get a one piece deep depth canopy tarp. Im curious as to what all ya'll are doing on your lifts to get full side coverage. If anyone has pics of their lift setups with a deep canopy, that would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any advice as to what route to take to get more side coverage on my lift that would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '10 X-14v
We have a 3 drop on our canopy. We then had side curtains made out of a heavy duty vinyl mesh so the wind can pass through. Side curtains hang off the canopy frame with nylon straps with plastic buckles. Corners zip together and allow for sides to be rolled up if not needed or to get the boat in or out of the lift. Side curtains are maybe 5 with about 2 of strap so our total coverage is about 6-7 from the canopy frame. Due to our sun exposure we only have the side curtains on the rear and side opposite the dock. Some people have them on all four sides.

This is who made ours.
https://lccovers.com/products/

2010 X-14v, 1995 CC Ski Nautique
previous
2001 MC Prostar 190,
1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
1984 CC Ski Nautique,
1979 CC Ski Tique
Old 04-08-2021, 03:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
IMHO do not get extensions, last year we had 2 different set of storms that came through that actually pulled up entire boat lifts into yards that had extensions on them in our area. They seem like a great idea to help out with preventing sun damage but can actually turn your lift into a huge sail.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
IMHO do not get extensions, last year we had 2 different set of storms that came through that actually pulled up entire boat lifts into yards that had extensions on them in our area. They seem like a great idea to help out with preventing sun damage but can actually turn your lift into a huge sail.
I have only seen that with lifts that don't have boats on them and it happens to those without curtains/just a canopy as well.

Anyone ever seen it happen to a lift with the boat on it?

A few years back we had a tornado pass through...canopied lifts without boats were moved/flipped. Those with boats stayed put.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30
I'd think with thousands of pounds sitting in the lift it's not moving but yes, i've seen lifts torn apart with high winds while sitting empty. That's our problem, boat gets taken out first at the end of the season and sometimes it takes my lift guy another week to get the canopy off, which is why I started doing it myself.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 S&S 190 w/LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I have only seen that with lifts that don't have boats on them and it happens to those without curtains/just a canopy as well.

Anyone ever seen it happen to a lift with the boat on it?

A few years back we had a tornado pass through...canopied lifts without boats were moved/flipped. Those with boats stayed put.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
We have had lifts on our lake with boats in them get flipped over. It is not pretty!!
I don't remember what they were for boats so I can't say they were a 6000# boat or what it was.
But none the less- yes we have had a number of them.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X10
I have a set of Floe Canopy extensions and the fabric, new in box. I'm still investigating my setup, but may not be able to use them. Should know more in the next week or so. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
Do you need to remove for winters? A super deep cover will be heavy.
Id look for some really thick screen type stuff that will let some air thru but block 95% of sun.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskiboat View Post
Do you need to remove for winters? A super deep cover will be heavy.
Id look for some really thick screen type stuff that will let some air thru but block 95% of sun.
that is a great idea like the stuff they use for greenhouses or any of this type of stuff
https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/RV-...ric/Sun-Shades

also of the aforementioned lifts being pulled out of the water last year at least two of them that i know of had boats on them. they were approx 19' runabouts but still it is crazy what a sail can do.