Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-08-2019, 03:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '18 X23
How to access the zerk for steering cable on a 2018 x23

I was trying to find the zerk fitting for the steering cable on my 2018 x23, but I cannot see it at all. I'm sure the zerk is there, but the engine is in the way and if even I was able to twist my neck into some weird angle, I don't even know how I'd get a grease gun attached to the fitting to add the white lithium grease.

I know there's grease there, because as I was feeling around and some white grease ended up on my hands.

Does anybody have any tips on accessing the zerk fitting on the steering cable? Do I have to remove some bolts from the steering cable to move it into a better position?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Not sure on your boat but if you're ever back in there working on it you can install extensions onto grease zerks to allow remote greasing.

https://locknlube.com/blogs/greasing...elocation-hose

If you do this just make sure that you reuse the grease zerk that has no ball bearing in it and make sure to figure out a way to cover it so it doesn't schmoo grease all over like stick it into a balloon.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:37 PM
TT Regular

Ah, neat idea. I'm just not sure I can get anything on that zerk in the first place.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:03 PM
TT Regular

After some googling, I see you can get a "right angle adapter" for a grease gun. That should do the trick... it's really low profile... something to try I guess.