Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 08:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC X30 2008
Has anyone (obviously yes) explored other brands? Debating if they total my boat...

I know. Mastercraft is the best. Just pondering something different. Anyone have opinions on any specific brand like Moomba or the Super Air Nautique? I just donít know what Iím doing with my boat
Old 08-21-2020, 09:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2, 19 XT23
Go demo and see what you want. Blindly saying MC is best leads to ignoring things that may be better with other manufacturers. Figure out what is important to you feature wise and see what dealers your willing to deal with for maintenance. Then locate the models that interest you and go demo. Part of the fun in boat shopping.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-Series
While I have only owned Mastercraft's, the past two years my son has been competing in Wakeboard competitions and the tow boats are NEVER Mastercraft. This has forced us to spend considerable amount of time on Nautique G23's and Malibu MKZ's.

My opinion is that the Nautique G23's are very comparable to Mastercraft from a fit, finish and quality perspective. They also have some unique features like ballast shift that I wish Mastercraft had. The biggest draw back for me is how ugly the G23's are. Especially the 2021's which look very similar to the mid 70's tri-hull's. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

The Malibu's are a significant step down in fit, finish and quality. We have only been on the 2020 boats so I can't say much about their older models. They do produce a good wake. And for surfing I have heard they are one of the best wave producers.

The other brand we have spent a fair amount of time on is Tige'. There are a huge step down in quality and performance from Mastercraft or Nautique.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2020 X22
When we sold our 2019 XT22 at the end of last season and thinking of the next boat, I seriously looked at the G23 and Paragon. I saw the Paragon in October and test drove the G23 in February and was not impressed with the wave. Other things that were a little annoying were the ballast fill times, 2500lbs took almost 10 mins, our XT22 had fastfill and it doesn't seem like 6 mins is much difference, but you can tell when you're sitting on the water. The other thing that surprised me was the attitude of the boat in turns. The G23 cornered flat, not listing over like an MC. Neither good or bad, just different. The real annoyance was bow spray. We didn't have any ballast filled. There was probably lead, but I don't know how much, and myself and the salesperson. it wasn't a particularly windy day and we were getting quite a bit of bow spray. The sales guy said it was better than the 2015's, but we still had to close the pocket door and passthrough glass in order not to get drenched. No thank you.

Things I did like were fit and finish seemed to be on par with MC. The SeaDek in the storage areas rather than the carpet MC has. There was also an option for a removable cocktail table, which would be nice for lunch and snack breaks. Loved the Garmin watch integration so the surfer can switch the wave when they want to, still have to notify the driver so you don't catch them off guard, but still a cool option. I did like the transom walkthrough because you're not walking on seat cushions of the convertible seat in the MC (when the seat is flipped facing aft, it's fine). Stern thruster option.

Things I didn't like, in addition to the above mentioned annoyances were, surf wave not very tuneable. The mellow wave and steep wave looked the same. The floor mounted cooler door didn't fit properly, so every time I walked over it, it would clack and seemed cheap. Not much support under the door so it would probably flex under some one heavier. I like putting stuff on the floor behind the convertible seat when facing aft like wet life vests, towels, etc, and we'd have to constantly move them, or ask people to move to access the cooler. At least in the MC, I don't have to move things from the floor, only ask someone to stand for a second. The Linc Panoray display is really confusing and not as easy to use as the dual screen option in the MC. The bimini is a handful to deploy and tower is a nightmare to fold as compared to a ZFT4 tower, not as clean when towing with the tower down. Price was more expensive than a fully loaded X22.

We ended up getting a loaded 2020 X22 and lovin' it. Pics on the water forth coming.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X20
I dig Mastercraft and our dealer. Great experience. I am looking at what technology may be out to build better waves, better ride and lower fuel burn. Centurion has me considering from a tech perspective, but I'm not a fan of the fit and finish of the interiors.

Will likely get another MC or a cruiser next, but new tech should be considered.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC X30 2008
Thanks gang! I love hearing these opinions. I feel like I should stick with MC but as you’ve said, demo the others and then make a choice. I don’t think I want Moomba and not even sure Axis is still around, at least it think that was the brand.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2020 X22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
Thanks gang! I love hearing these opinions. I feel like I should stick with MC but as youíve said, demo the others and then make a choice. I donít think I want Moomba and not even sure Axis is still around, at least it think that was the brand.
Axis is around. It's the cost conscious Malibu...
Old 08-22-2020, 12:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Within 100í of my XT22 at our marina are a G23, G21, LSV21, M240, MXZ24 MB Sport B52 (2) and Supreme (2).

Theyíre all very nice - though the M240 owner has been towed in twice and has a leak no one can find - but none of them make me doubt my decision.

Iím definitely an MC Fan Boy but I think mine is the best looking - in and out of the water - and we get plenty of compliments when people walk by.

I think the ZFT4 tower smokes Ďem all too. I like the sweptback look and nobody lowers and raises their tower like we do because itís a hassle for them.

That M240 cost twice what mine did and the fit and finish are equal. Iíll take my CoolFeel any day over theirs.

The Nautiques walk thru transom is nice until you drop an anchor and want to stretch out. Then itís pretty awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2020, 01:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 X22, '18 NXT22, '06 X30
We demoed a 2020 supra SA450 in March. They stacked in 750 lbs of lead and it did not compare to the x22 stock wave. You get some more features for the price, but after seeing how skiers choice has handled my best friends boat under warranty I could never stray From MC and yes I know a lot of it has to do with dealer too. All around the other boats are just not as well detailed and put together as a MC.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not an MC
I’ve spent some time this summer in a friend’s Centurion Vi22. They bill is as a crossoveresque semi-price-point boat similar to the XT21/22 boats from MC. I haven’t skied it, but the surfing was nice and easy. It’s a pretty nice package that doesn’t feel like a battleship.