Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 01:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 X22, '18 NXT22, '06 X30
Dual Screen Power Issue

I picked up my new to me 2019 X22 and at the dealer he had to turn the battery switch on and off a couple times to get the screens to come on. Now every time I turn the boat on I have to do this several times. Sunday on the boat ramp I thought I might not ever get them to come on.

I have:
checked battery connection, Good
charged batteries, good
tried using the switch on both batteries.

Anyone have any Ideas? Seller says it never happened to him and will take care of anything he needs to if not under warranty. I don't want to have to stick it in the shop as our days are running out here in Colorado.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-Series
The issue is definitely not right. I have heard that some boat had loose grounds behind the dash that have required cleaning and tightening.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X22 2020 6.2L
I experienced that same thing a few times on my XT22, never found the solution. Thankfully was only occasional, and was always able to get the screens on before leaving the lift. My X22 is gauges with 7" screen. Interestingly, I mistakenly left the battery switch on for a few days last week, and when I fired her up, the screen did not power up. I assumed it was due to the battery voltage being low. Cycling the battery switch did not bring it back up, until after I had run it for a bit. Again, assumed that allowed the battery to charge.
2003 Malibu Response LXi
2001 Malibu Sunsetter
1978 Ski Supreme
Old 09-15-2020, 02:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakePowell View Post
The issue is definitely not right. I have heard that some boat had loose grounds behind the dash that have required cleaning and tightening.
Is it easy to get too the ground behind the dash? Once it is on it stays on with no issues.....
Old 09-15-2020, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X22
I've had that, especially if shutting off the batteries before shutting off the key; that's what causes the issue for me.

Leaving the battery switch off for ~60 seconds (with key off) has always caused it to reset correctly, though.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmile View Post
I've had that, especially if shutting off the batteries before shutting off the key; that's what causes the issue for me.

Leaving the battery switch off for ~60 seconds (with key off) has always caused it to reset correctly, though.
Next question is, there are 3 positions on the key is the middle off or is it all the way to the left?
Old 09-15-2020, 04:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 20 X22 6.2L GDI, '15 X10 6.0L
TM, not sure if this is your issue at all, but I learned the hard way not to leave the battery switch on for any time period other than when using the boat.

Not only do these new boats draw a ton of power, but they might do so when off, and most importantly, they need fully charged larger batteries to keep running happy. Cannot tell you the parasitic draw but as example the Klipsch remote can stay lit even when the key and dash are shut down. Never had an issue since learning to switch off batteries every time. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
Tookey- Does your boat have premium audio option? Dash speakers, and 2 subs??

If so, it is VERY likely that the issue is with the ignition solenoid/relay that is located on your amp rack. If you pull the cover off your amps, and look near the front portion of the amp rack (ahead of your amps/dsp), youll see where your battery cables come in, as well as the distribution for power and ground. In that group of big cables, you'll see a solenoid type relay. It has 4 total terminals on it. 2 large terminals, and 2 small terminals.

now..... On the large terminals, you should have the following. On one of the large terminals, there should be a large battery cable from your house battery. It will likely be labeled as such. On the other large terminal should be the two big power wires that go to your amplifiers, as well as a small wire (maybe 14 or 16 gauge) that is the power wire for your screens....

The two small terminals are for activation of that relay (one ground, and one power from your key switch).

If you want to see if this is the issue, here is what you can do (if you are feeling like a DIY diagnosis)-

-Turn off battery switch
-Remove amp cover
-Locate solenoid and confirm wires. Confirm large terminal wires as described above.
-Turn battery switch on, and turn key on. If you are lucky, the screens wont boot up.
-If they fail to boot up, use a screwdriver to cross the two large terminals together and hold the screwdriver in there to keep the connection. Make sure the screwdriver doesn't touch anything else!! Just the two LARGE solenoid terminals.
-Have someone verify that the screens boot up.
-If they do, youll need to order that solenoid/relay.

I will include the part number in a following post.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:23 PM
MC Maniac

Here is a box for that relay. MC part number is on the castaway marina sticker. The unit is made by Emerson, and their part number is the 120 902S1
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2020, 04:25 PM
MC Maniac

This is what the relay looks like. The two terminals I keep talking about are the two big copper posts on the top of this.....

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/w...sFzg&gclsrc=ds