Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-15-2020, 11:57 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X45
2008 Mastercraft X45 - Ballast Problem

I recently purchased my buddy's x45. I placed the boat back in after winterization from a Mastercraft dealer. I have replaced all three impellers to the ballast system and verified all the pumps are working and functional. However, none of the ballast systems are filling. Is there a valve that could be closed, a checkvalve that could be bad, or a pipe typically unhooked during winterization which would cause all three ballasts to Not fill?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-Series
Do the pumps turn on? You should be able to hear them. If not there are breakers that may need to be reset. If they are running and you still don't get water into the tanks, there is an intake valve that be be turned off
Old 06-15-2020, 01:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
There are ball valves in your bilge area. Make sure they are open. Another longshot possibility is- are the ballast pumps mounted with the electric motor pointed up? If he just flipped the pumps and didnt reclock the pump head 180 they are running backwards. Easy check for this is: flip your switch to empty and see if the tanks fill. If this is the case, a simple reclock of the pump heads will correct it.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:40 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakePowell View Post
Do the pumps turn on? You should be able to hear them. If not there are breakers that may need to be reset. If they are running and you still don't get water into the tanks, there is an intake valve that be be turned off
All the pumps work and I recently installed new impellers, each ran prior to me screwing the covers back on. It must be the intake valve that is turned off. Is this accessible from the engine compartment and is it located close to the thru hull port?

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:42 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
There are ball valves in your bilge area. Make sure they are open. Another longshot possibility is- are the ballast pumps mounted with the electric motor pointed up? If he just flipped the pumps and didnt reclock the pump head 180 they are running backwards. Easy check for this is: flip your switch to empty and see if the tanks fill. If this is the case, a simple reclock of the pump heads will correct it.
Thanks. You note ball valves, since there appear to be two intakes (port/starboard ballast and KGB ballast?), do I have two to locate? I would guarantee this is the problem.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 PM
TT Regular

Left and right from the engine, exactly on top of the thru-hull you should find the lever for the ball valves. It should point upwards to let water through. Altogether, there would be three, one being for the raw water intake to cool the emgine.

TH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddad View Post
Left and right from the engine, exactly on top of the thru-hull you should find the lever for the ball valves. It should point upwards to let water through. Altogether, there would be three, one being for the raw water intake to cool the emgine.

TH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect. Thank you. I’ll check it out this weekend.

Tags
ballast, tanks, x45