Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 01:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Bad A tow rigs

So I need to get a new rig to tow. What are you all using? Pics encouraged!

What do you like, what do you not like etc.

Related, how much fudge room is there in in posted tow ratings? Like if it says 7500lbs do you think 8500lbs is suicide or just cause to drive carefully?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2020, 08:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
If it says 7500lbs do you think 8500lbs is suicide?
YES! You can pull the weight, but stopping and steering will be the issue. It will quickly turn into a situation where the tail is wagging the dog. The transmission won't like it either.

If you're towing 8500 lbs go ahead and order a 3/4 ton pickup right now.

But, to answer your question, I love my Yukon XL, but I'm only pulling 4000 lbs.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2018 XT23
I have a close friend in the auto/truck business. He recently told me that the auto sales industry is completely jacked-up, like he's never seen before, especially trucks.
The manufacturers production has slowed because of the virus and part supply, but also because the new model year is coming up and they need to re-tool their line. This has turned the used market on its ear, forcing the price of used vehicles, particularly trucks, higher. In addition, because new supplies are so tight, dealers are less inclined to discount the new (and used) trucks that they have on their lots. So expect to pay a premium price, no matter what truck you buy, in this very unique market.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:29 AM
jjackkrash

I'm not a big fan of planning to "fudge" tow ratings. It is one thing to tow heavy or overloaded in a pinch, it is another to start out behind the 8-ball. I would get more truck than you need and then relax and enjoy the tow experience.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:43 AM
jjackkrash

Plus I hate towing math.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2020, 02:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Plus I hate towing math.

Nice!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnmax View Post
I have a close friend in the auto/truck business. He recently told me that the auto sales industry is completely jacked-up, like he's never seen before, especially trucks.
The manufacturers production has slowed because of the virus and part supply, but also because the new model year is coming up and they need to re-tool their line. This has turned the used market on its ear, forcing the price of used vehicles, particularly trucks, higher. In addition, because new supplies are so tight, dealers are less inclined to discount the new (and used) trucks that they have on their lots. So expect to pay a premium price, no matter what truck you buy, in this very unique market.

Yep Im seeing evidence of this for sure.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
YES! You can pull the weight, but stopping and steering will be the issue. It will quickly turn into a situation where the tail is wagging the dog. The transmission won't like it either.

If you're towing 8500 lbs go ahead and order a 3/4 ton pickup right now.

But, to answer your question, I love my Yukon XL, but I'm only pulling 4000 lbs.

Wish yukon xls would work, those are so nice!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-55
it sounds like you're looking for an SUV to tow your boat with? There are plenty of nice truck options that'll tow it no problem... SUV's are harder to come by. It's too bad Ford discontinued the diesel Excursion. I feel that if Ford brought it back now it would sell very well. Imagine a 2020 Excursion with a 6.7 Diesel

Old 06-28-2020, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 X22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyas View Post
Wish yukon xls would work, those are so nice!

I tow my X22 with a Yukon Denali, 6.2 with towing package. No way I would ever try to pull an X24 with it.