Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-11-2019, 02:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - MCX 350
Gauge Cluster Completely Out

2006 ProStar 197 MCX...

I've slowly been losing gauges since getting caught in a downpour on the 4th of July. At first my tach fogged up, and started acting sketchy (rest of the gauges we working fine at the time). Then later that weekend the tach went out completely (including the data screen with the engine hour/water temperature display), and the small gauges started cutting in and out. I took the accessory cables off the battery and cleaned the ends, and they all came back (minus the tach). Yesterday I lost the four small gauges (oil/fuel/temp/volts) and couldn't get them back by cleaning the terminals. All along, the speedos had been working... until today. I now have absolutely nothing on the gauge cluster working. Other accessories that run off the accessory cables on the battery are working (stereo, blower bilge, nav lights), so I don't think I have a connection/ground issue at the battery. Boat is running fine, I just have nothing in the cluster at this point. Where do I start?
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2019, 02:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
If it is like my 2003, check the 2 in line fuses leading into or out of the mmdc. dry them if needed and wipe the ends. be sure no moisture in the fuse spring housing. If they are good go gauge by gauge plugging and unplugging one by one with only 1 gauge unplugged at a time.

Before the gauge checking pull the main mmdc connector to see if it has moisture also
Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 PS197
under the dash there's a distribution block for the power and ground for all the gauges. When mine were flaking out, I found a loose ground under the dash. Tightened it up and all my troubles went away. Have a look underneath the dash.