Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-01-2021, 09:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS
Best head unit?

Iím looking at the Fusion MS-RA770 but before I purchase, I would like some feedback on what yíall are running. Fusion, JL MM100s-BE, Wetsounds WS-MC-1, etc. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25
I absolutely love mine. It is the best marine head unit I’ve ever had. I have several amps, so I can’t talk about head unit power, so if you are driving speakers directly off the head unit, you may have different results than me.

I have the RA-770, one wired remote and one wireless remote. I have JL Amps for power, the stock sub behind the driver’s seat and all the stock JL speakers in the cabin. On the tower I have a pair of Roswell R1 Pro speakers. Audio quality is great all around, and the control, cellphone integration, and feature set are worth every bit of coin they want for those things.

If I was in the market for a head unit, this is the only one I’d look at.

—Sky
Old 04-02-2021, 05:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
The Ra-770 is a fantastic head unit, and it would be my #1 choice over the others. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
I just installed the 770 it looks great I haven't spent much time using it yet, but it seems easy to use and I am happy with the install.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:10 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS
Yeah, I have done a lot of my own research and I agree I’m liking the idea of the RA-770. I plan to have amps driving not the head unit as well. I appreciate all the advise/feedback guys.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-STAR, 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydyvyr View Post
I absolutely love mine. It is the best marine head unit Iíve ever had. I have several amps, so I canít talk about head unit power, so if you are driving speakers directly off the head unit, you may have different results than me.

I have the RA-770, one wired remote and one wireless remote. I have JL Amps for power, the stock sub behind the driverís seat and all the stock JL speakers in the cabin. On the tower I have a pair of Roswell R1 Pro speakers. Audio quality is great all around, and the control, cellphone integration, and feature set are worth every bit of coin they want for those things.

If I was in the market for a head unit, this is the only one Iíd look at.

óSky
Where did you mount the head unit?
Old 04-06-2021, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

I mounted it in the stock location. On my X25 that is a bit easier than on your Ď04 XStar (205V variant, right?). I believe you should be able to mount it inside the glovebox replacing your Clarion Head unit. I did install a Fusion head unit in my X1, but it was an earlier version than the RA-770. I was able to replace the Clarion driverís remote with a Fusion remote, which completely covered the Clarion remote hole.

óSky
Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
I mounted it in the stock location. On my X25 that is a bit easier than on your Ď04 XStar (205V variant, right?). I believe you should be able to mount it inside the glove box replacing your Clarion Head unit. I did install a Fusion head unit in my X1, but it was an earlier version than the RA-770. I was able to replace the Clarion driverís remote with a Fusion remote, which completely covered the Clarion remote hole.

óSky
No, it''s not the 205V, it's Gen 2. I guess I should have added more info, I am fairly certain I could put it in glove box, but would rather have it more accessible since it has so many features. I was wondering if I mounted it on the driver's dash,(after doing some moving of switches, etc., to make space) would it be usable and viewable in sunlight?
I would like it driver accessible since my S.O. usually rides up front so closest body to the glove box would probably be a guest who would have no idea how to operate it.
I was 95 percent certain that I would put in a WS420 until I met the Fusion unit which provided the same result of the 420 but added so much more.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

On my X1, with the Fusion HU in the glove box, nobody ever touched it. I’m not even sure that the protective cover ever got removed from it once I had it configured. Anything that needed to be done was handled from the remote in the driver’s position.

On the X25, the deck is out in direct sunlight and easily viewable. That being said, again, we never use the deck, the driver’s remote and stern mounted remote handled almost everything after initial configuration was complete.

—Sky
Old 04-08-2021, 07:03 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
On my X1, with the Fusion HU in the glove box, nobody ever touched it. Iím not even sure that the protective cover ever got removed from it once I had it configured. Anything that needed to be done was handled from the remote in the driverís position.

On the X25, the deck is out in direct sunlight and easily viewable. That being said, again, we never use the deck, the driverís remote and stern mounted remote handled almost everything after initial configuration was complete.

óSky
10-4. Thanks for that information. I am going to visit a dealer with a display setup so I can play with it a bit and see if the remote unit will accomplish what I am wanting to do from the helm.