Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-09-2020, 03:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Iím in between Mastercrafts right now
84 Project on a Budget

This is my 4th Mastercraft and first stars and stripes. I tend to enjoy them 2-5 years then I want to try something different. I've been admiring the stars and stripes MC since I was a kid in my dads green Crestliner with a windshield he cut down to make it look cooler and a Mercury "1250" that was 25 HP more than the "suggested" max . I wanted a Blue 84 or 85 and drove about 1,000 miles to buy this from the original owner. It's a 351 with 1:1 drive. It needed a lot of TLC. Last spring I replaced the rusted exhaust manifolds (took 2 days to get the original allen head bolts out) and did lots of work fixing little bugs. I did new plugs, wires, distributor and rotor. It has a pretty old electronic ignition upgrade kit that I think I need to replace. I cleaned up the fiberglass and added custom decals. I really like the silver and black compared to original white, I also really like that MC badge I put on the back. I spent about $120 on SEM marine upholstery paint, it seems to be holding up well and the tan color looks great. The original upholstery was decent structurally but had stains that would not come out. Now the upholstery looks more modern and at a glance actually looks new.

I started a tradition during family week at the cabin were we get as many people skiing as possible. 2 summers ago I had a 2010 X2 with the 350MCX. We were all pretty impressed when we had 13 kids/adults in the boat with 7 kids/adults skiing.

I thought the 84 would handle 8 skiers with only 2 people in the boat but no dice. Then we tried 5, turns out 4 skiers seems to be the current limit. It was a bummer, I'm the "director of waterfront activities" and I took about an hour rounding up the skiers and ropes and getting everyone excited for a let down. I told everyone that we will have more power this summer...

Anyone have experience with a 351 1:1 towing lots of skiers?

I have a shiny new (smells cool) Holley 600 CFM ready to put on. I'm also planning to add GT40 heads a new intake and replace the electronic ignition. Currently planning to leave the prop alone because I don't want to slow top end down (about 44 now).
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2020, 03:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I had a 77 S&S and had similar results with pulling multiple skiers. I changed the prop to a 13 x 12 and got 8 two skiers out. Quite abit more pop out of the hole vs the 13 X 13.

My other boats have all been powerslots. Big difference.....
Old 01-09-2020, 03:46 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks Eric. Did the 13x12 reduce top end much?
Old 01-09-2020, 05:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Yea, by about 3 -4 mph. But to me that was ok because I mostly did slalom and tricking.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:26 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Prop is a yes, another thing to check is bring the throttle to full throttle and check to make sure the carb opens fully.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
We skied 7 behind a 1986 Mastercraft S&S (Rainbow?) with a 351 1:1. But, it was bit of a process to do so. You seem like a guy/family who's up to a challenge though so here's how we did it. 5 were pulled up behind the MC. The two skiers to the left of the center skier (port side) each came up with two handles each. Meanwhile, two more skiers were pulled up behind a 2nd boat. The two boats then maneuvered parallel and the handles were passed over to the additional skiers until they could drop their original handles and ski behind the boat. Then we did a lap around the lake. My only word of caution is rope management. Keep everything neat and tight. And don't drop handles and drag them in the lake. My cousin has a nice scar on his right leg where he got tangled in a rope during one of these multi-skier capers.

That didn't damper our fun as we too, try to do a "how-many-cousins-can-we-get-up behind the boat?" event each year at our 4th of July party.

We also tried, unsuccessfully, to build a 10 person pyramid on top of 3 tubes. Best we could accomplish was 6 people, on 3 levels.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft,205,1996
Start working on your sitting dock starts and you can get lots of people up
Where did you order your stars and side decals? They look great.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:28 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you all for the good feedback!

About the decals. A designer friend set up the file for me and I had a local printer print them out. They are high quality but I might have over paid. I think I gave the printer around $600 and installed myself. The reflective silver outline changes in Different light, it looks shiny sometimes and sometimes looks exactly the same color as the light grey on the hull. I considered a million colors and I like how it came out. I could email the file if you want.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:33 PM
TT Newbie

Good tip on the carb. I’ll check. I have a new carb which will be the first time I install one. A mechanic pointed out to me that The original carb on the boat now has some ports that were glued shut, apparently something you can do on a car but a no no on a boat. I do suspect that thing is not set up right, plan to get the new one on before spring.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
Love those graphics w black!