Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-13-2020, 12:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft Prostar 190 LTR
1999 ProStar 190 LT-R Starter Issue

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guilty of letting my boat sit neglected for a while. After I finally got around to starting up the motor, the starter will only make one click. All the gauges, lights, and fuel pump start up like normal but when the key is turned all the way to Start, it's just the one click.

The starter was old and pretty corroded looking, so I figured I had a bad or locked up solenoid. I ordered a new starter, installed it, and still only got one click. At this point, I thought the motor may have locked up from sitting for too long, so I put some MMO in the spark plug holes, took off the water pump and used a breaker bar to turn the crank and break it free. It had a little resistance but broke free quick and easy. After everything was put back together, the one click issue was still there. I double and triple checked the neutral lockout, and the kill switch. it made no difference. There was some rust and corrosion on the battery cables and some ground cables on the engine that i have sanded down and completely cleaned. I even took the new starter to Advance Auto to have them test it, just to make sure, and it was good.

Here's the even weirder part, if i use a screw driver to the arc the starter terminals, it will spin the motor like normal. But turning the key only results in the one click.

Short of taking it to the dealer and spending a fortune, I have tried almost everything and I'm starting to lose my mind.

Last edited by bbskis; 01-13-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1 SOLD
Um, maybe a silly question, but have you checked/replaced the battery? I could imagine a dying battery having enough juice to spin the starter, but not enough to engage the solenoid, spin the starter, power the dash, power the ECU and the electronic ignition.

—Sky
Old 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft Prostar 190 LTR
Yea, the battery is only about a year old and has been on a tender. I even hooked up a jumper pack booster to it just to try it again with some extra juice. Made no difference.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Some old post on this forum that goes in depth with the problem you describe, you can do a net search to find them..
Old 01-13-2020, 11:39 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Sounds like the starter relay is prolly corroded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk