• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swatkinz
    TT Regular
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
    But it would have to be a large improvement in fuel economy for me to switch to a different engine.
    So I've been thinking quite a bit about this. That is, when the next gen comes out, exactly how much better would it need to be on gas for me to consider an immediate upgrade? I get some fuel reimbursement from my company so I don't eat all of the fuel costs, but I definitely feel some personal impact. Exactly how much would the fuel economy need to improve for you to consider an upgrade to the next gen Tundra? I can buy a lot of fuel for the depreciation hit I'd take.

Comment

• atihanyi
      MC Devotee
      • Sep 2013

I work very closely with them at the dealer level and rumor has it the new one will be available with a Cummins diesel

Comment

• MC25
        MC Master Poster
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by atihanyi View Post
        I work very closely with them at the dealer level and rumor has it the new one will be available with a Cummins diesel
        That’s been a rumor for years. Not true
        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
        For Sale:
        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• paintpollz
          MC Devotee
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by swatkinz View Post
          So I've been thinking quite a bit about this. That is, when the next gen comes out, exactly how much better would it need to be on gas for me to consider an immediate upgrade? I get some fuel reimbursement from my company so I don't eat all of the fuel costs, but I definitely feel some personal impact. Exactly how much would the fuel economy need to improve for you to consider an upgrade to the next gen Tundra? I can buy a lot of fuel for the depreciation hit I'd take.
          I think you and I are one the same wavelength. I too get reimbursed for fuel - I think the fed sets that rate at $0.565/mile? Unless your company pays more.....When you drive a half ton GM vehicle like I do, the costs to drive for my company are just about breakeven. And I also worked an additional $175/month stipend to help cover for additional expenses.

Unlike Sodar's Tundra, my Tahoe definitely sees the shop a good amount. In 160k I've gone thru 4 front wheel bearings, 3 transmissions, cooling lines, a tire sensor, & full suspension replacement. Meh, maybe not all that bad (all of the transmissions were covered under warranty!). Luckily I've been spared all the AFM issues that a lot of guys have with these newer GM motors.

To your point exactly, we can buy TONS of fuel for that depreciation hit. 1/2 Trucks are TOO HOT right now to be buying into the diesel motors. In addition to this, the cost of diesel is around a 25-27% premium in comparison to 87, so in reality it is BREAKEVEN when you factor in increased fuel efficiency along with the increased fuel costs, and we aren't even taking into consideration the premium you pay for the diesel motor. I just don't see the benefit. Plus, my boat, for the short distance I tow it, is going to feel the same behind a half ton whether or not there is a gas or diesel motor. Of course you will get better torque with the diesel. But if you want a true luxury ride while towing a heavy trailer, doesn't matter if it's a boat, dump trailer, camper, whatever, you move into the 3/4 tons and 1 tons. 1/2 tons with any motor just don't cut it.
          Kevin

Comment

• swatkinz
            TT Regular
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
            I think you and I are one the same wavelength. I too get reimbursed for fuel - I think the fed sets that rate at $0.565/mile? Unless your company pays more.....When you drive a half ton GM vehicle like I do, the costs to drive for my company are just about breakeven. And I also worked an additional $175/month stipend to help cover for additional expenses.

Unlike Sodar's Tundra, my Tahoe definitely sees the shop a good amount. In 160k I've gone thru 4 front wheel bearings, 3 transmissions, cooling lines, a tire sensor, & full suspension replacement. Meh, maybe not all that bad (all of the transmissions were covered under warranty!). Luckily I've been spared all the AFM issues that a lot of guys have with these newer GM motors.

To your point exactly, we can buy TONS of fuel for that depreciation hit. 1/2 Trucks are TOO HOT right now to be buying into the diesel motors. In addition to this, the cost of diesel is around a 25-27% premium in comparison to 87, so in reality it is BREAKEVEN when you factor in increased fuel efficiency along with the increased fuel costs, and we aren't even taking into consideration the premium you pay for the diesel motor. I just don't see the benefit. Plus, my boat, for the short distance I tow it, is going to feel the same behind a half ton whether or not there is a gas or diesel motor. Of course you will get better torque with the diesel. But if you want a true luxury ride while towing a heavy trailer, doesn't matter if it's a boat, dump trailer, camper, whatever, you move into the 3/4 tons and 1 tons. 1/2 tons with any motor just don't cut it.
            I think its .545/mile or at least that's what I get reimbursed for mileage. With regards to repairs, I haven't had any and I would be real disappointed if I had, given my trucks age and mileage. The dealership I purchased from offers unlimited power train warranty w/o a deductible if you have them do all of the Toyota recommended service. I like that in addition to the product having a durable reputation, I have that little piece of mind.

With respect to the 3/4 vs. 1/2 ton and diesel vs. gas, there seems to be 3 kinds of people who buy those trucks:

1. the guy who pulls a backhoe or other heavy equipment regularly (every other day)
            2. the guy who pulls a super heavy boat regularly (25ft plus)
            3. the guy who is just a diesel or 3/4 ton enthusiast but rarely puts anything in the bed or tows anything.

I spend a lot of time on the road and it seems like the enthusiast is much, much more prevalent than the other 2 buyers these days. Just my anecdotal observation and it doesn't matter to me what people spend their money on.

I love my truck, but could never financially justify more truck than I have. By more truck, I mean 3/4 or diesel. Now if Toyota came out with a super efficient model 1/2 ton, I'd be all ears.

Since this is a bit of a thread jack, I'll reiterate my support of the Tundra as a tow vehicle.

Comment

• mah2496
              TT Enthusiast
              • May 2007

I was a Chevy guy through and through but my last one was very problematic especially after 100k miles. My 2011 tundra with 209k miles has been trouble free and runs/tows like the day I bought it. 14-15 mpg on highway and small tank does suck but I plan to keep it until 300k unless a new tundra comes out with better mpg. I definitely drink the toyota reliability kool aid now.

Bought mine after seeing how well a friend’s tundra held up when his had 170k miles. He traded his at 275k miles, still running like new, for a new 2017. His 2017 has a 38gal fuel tank where as mine has 26 gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1996 PS205

Comment

• FoggyNogginz
                MC Maniac
                • Aug 2006

I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra that has been driven really hard for 180K miles. So far I've had absolutely zero problems with the vehicle outside of a $17 auxiliary port on the dashboard going bad. These vehicles require nothing more than standard maintenance to basically run forever, and it tows my 2017 X10 as if it's not even back there. These trucks get horrible gas mileage (I average 13mpg), but they literally last forever. I can't really imagine buying any other half ton truck in the United States.

Comment

• HDAVIS
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Nov 2007

Love my Trundra, may use more gas, but virtually trouble free. After 14 years of owning, the only thing besides regular maintenance, my CV boots went bad. Other than that very solid. Runs like new.

Comment

• lashburn1
                    MC Addict
                    • Aug 2013

I had a 2012 new
                    Towed my X30 with it.
                    No issues ever.
                    Gas Hog 12.5 mpg local driving
                    Hunted for gears when towing a lot.
                    sigpic
                    2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
                    2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
                    2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
                    2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
                    2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
                    2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
                    2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
                    2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
                    2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

• roadster02
                      MC Devotee
                      • Oct 2013

Solution, buy a real pickup, not an Asian copy.

Comment

• MC25
                        MC Master Poster
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by roadster02 View Post
                        Lolol. I expect no less
                        Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                        For Sale:

Comment

• jbmccul
                          MC Maniac
                          • Jan 2015

You know it's built in San Antonio, TX right?
                          2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
                          2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                          Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
                          Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

• roadster02
                            MC Devotee
                            • Oct 2013

So if Harley Davidson opens a factory in Japan that makes it a Japanese motorcycle, right? Follow the money.

Comment

• MC25
                              MC Master Poster
                              • Nov 2007

So if Harley Davidson opens a factory in Japan that makes it a Japanese motorcycle, right? Follow the money.
                              More ignorance spouted by our boi roadster.

If you follow profits, to Toyota North America, who invests tons of money into american jobs and infrastructure, which in turn is investing into our economy. Sure some profit goes over seas, who cares?

After owning a toyota truck, Ill never own another though. But I will refute dumb statements like this all day in favor of toyota.
                              Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                              For Sale:

Comment

• lakedrum03
                                MC Devotee
                                • Jul 2017

Don't buy a truck for mileage, buy it for purpose. If it gets good mileage, then that is a bonus. Short changing yourself on capacity/power/whatever will leave you dissatisfied.

Comment

Working...
                                X