Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-31-2019, 01:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 X-24, 2013 X-45(sold), 2011 X-35(sold), 2016 G3 Elite 324 SS Tritoon
Winterizing my 2019 X-24 6000GDI

So I have searched this forum and YouTube and have yet to find a video or write up on how to winterize this boat. Anyone have any input? I keep it inside an insulated building that never gets below 45-50*; but still feel like I should drain exhaust manifolds... Thx!
Old 10-31-2019, 11:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Awe for the first time, you could take it to a dealer, they can explain all what is needed to be done, sometimes but not always the tech can tell/show you how to do it yourself for future winterization, maybe a little pricey, but done correctly.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
I live in South Louisiana and have closed cooling 6.2L, and we dont get the freezing weather so all I do is drain the engine and tranny heat exchange. I will cut the engine on for 2-3 second to flush most the water out of the exhaust manifolds. This has never given me any problems.

If your building stays in those temps, shouldn't have anything to worry about. My boat stays on the lift throughout the winter and i only winterize when we know when are getting below 32 for long periods of time which is very rare.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
There should be an ilmore manual that walks you through it. It’s also available online.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, NXT22, 2018, 5500 Ilmor, GenII w/710 bags
https://youtu.be/ZxwboyhTiIs

Its so easy, I made this video last year. Worked great over our cold winter and its straight out of the owners manual. These GDI motors are the only ones that can be winterized like this. At least out of the MC line.

This year after I drained the 2 drain points I started and stopped the motor and re drained it.

Clarification: when you get to the point of poring antifreeze into the 1" hoses shown in the video make sure you start with the Port side first and then move over to the starboard side. Also the amount of antifreeze may very, this year it only took 3 gallons on each side.

FYI technically you may not need to do this if you get all the water out and temps are like you stated. But my dealer said It will act as a corrosion prevention and cheep insurance.

Last edited by Tookeymonster; 11-01-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:42 AM
Scampbell18

So I watched this video (https://youtu.be/ZxwboyhTiIs) - thank you Tookeymonster for posted this, this was very helpful. I did not follow this video because of my heater option- I figured I needed to run the antifreeze through the engine to get to the heater so I used my fake lake after draining the four bolts in the video. So thats what I did. But then for safe keeping because I wanted to confirm antifreeze got to my heater, I tried to take off the two hoses at my heater behind the helm, and the hoses would barely budge but then one hose started dripping green fluid- not the pink antifreeze I was using. SO my question is- do these heaters run on a closed cooling system to be using green engine coolant? I left the hoses on and tightened them back up and didnt do anything further.

Useful info maybe for for others reading, I found this product very helpful from Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This helped me use my fakelake for the intakes on the hull for the engine and all three intakes for the ballast. I couldnt get antifreeze into the ballast tanks through the through-hull vents so I used the fake lake and put a gallon of antifreeze in each tank through the three intakes on the bottom of the hull. Elevating this plastic tank created the pressure to send the antifeeeze through the hose to the fakelake. Remember to use the override to empty all three ballasts even on the trailer before sucking up the antifeeze, I had a ton of water come out even though the computers said they were empty.

Also- when I was using the fake lake to run AF through the engine, I had to run the engine long enough to get warm enough for the AF to run through the manifolds then it shot out the back mufflers. FYI. It only used 4 gallons of AF.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, NXT22, 2018, 5500 Ilmor, GenII w/710 bags
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampbell18 View Post
So I watched this video (https://youtu.be/ZxwboyhTiIs) - thank you Tookeymonster for posted this, this was very helpful. I did not follow this video because of my heater option- I figured I needed to run the antifreeze through the engine to get to the heater so I used my fake lake after draining the four bolts in the video. So thats what I did. But then for safe keeping because I wanted to confirm antifreeze got to my heater, I tried to take off the two hoses at my heater behind the helm, and the hoses would barely budge but then one hose started dripping green fluid- not the pink antifreeze I was using. SO my question is- do these heaters run on a closed cooling system to be using green engine coolant? I left the hoses on and tightened them back up and didnt do anything further.

Useful info maybe for for others reading, I found this product very helpful from Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This helped me use my fakelake for the intakes on the hull for the engine and all three intakes for the ballast. I couldnt get antifreeze into the ballast tanks through the through-hull vents so I used the fake lake and put a gallon of antifreeze in each tank through the three intakes on the bottom of the hull. Elevating this plastic tank created the pressure to send the antifeeeze through the hose to the fakelake. Remember to use the override to empty all three ballasts even on the trailer before sucking up the antifeeze, I had a ton of water come out even though the computers said they were empty.

Also- when I was using the fake lake to run AF through the engine, I had to run the engine long enough to get warm enough for the AF to run through the manifolds then it shot out the back mufflers. FYI. It only used 4 gallons of AF.

Thanks everyone!
No problem, The way in the video works with heater option (Only GDI motors) as I have this option as well. Dealer approved so if ya want give it a shot next year. The green fuid is antifreeze from the close cooled system, the reason why there is no reason to winterize the heater as it has the green stuff. We go through several days were it never gets above the 20's and even occasional sub 0 temps.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Scampbell18

thank you, thats what I figured. Just couldnt find any information on the heater anywhere including the manual. Thanks again for the video, I will be doing it that way next year for sure.