Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-21-2019, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Maristar / 350 MCX
Did you get this fixed?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37tr3n5k View Post
Did you get this fixed?
Yep. Today.

Today I spent $522 on a spark plug lesson.

Name:  46C7E71A-84C7-4AC5-BDE0-DD0CA4E04A00.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  56.4 KB
Old 09-21-2019, 11:30 PM
MC Devotee

6 plugs were like this. And I never noticed the cracking. When i pulled them I put them right in the cardboard box piece electrode side up to label each plug and take pics. I pulled them right from that cardboard piece To reinstall them and never noticed the cracks. How does this happen? I never overtorque plugs. 6 friggin plugs had cracks.

Had I done the spray test like Jim mentioned I would’ve saw the arcing but would’ve assumed it was the wires. Then I would’ve bought wires and still had the same problem, and still would’ve brought it into the shop anyways. Jim’s suggestion of spraying the plugs was exactly what i should’ve done, and had I been more knowledgeable I would’ve thought to check the porcelain on the plugs. Putting them in that cardboard piece for the labeling as shown in my previous post, coupled with my own resistance to plugs being a potential issue since they had low hours, put me into an expensive learning lesson.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:43 PM
MC Devotee

If you look at the glass half full, i went thru the entire boat pretty much and did a lot of other work when trying to diagnose this issue. I aligned the engine and prop shaft, replaced the strut bearings, replaced the shaft packing, got a prop reworked, did the McMaster Carr sounding insulation on the engine box, replaced the gas struts on the engine box. She’s running great now, but too bad it took 6 weeks away and right in the middle of ski season.

I learned a lot.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Maristar / 350 MCX
Wow. As you said.. the bright side is you know your boat very well now.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
6 plugs were like this. And I never noticed the cracking. When i pulled them I put them right in the cardboard box piece electrode side up to label each plug and take pics. I pulled them right from that cardboard piece To reinstall them and never noticed the cracks. How does this happen? I never overtorque plugs. 6 friggin plugs had cracks.

Had I done the spray test like Jim mentioned I would’ve saw the arcing but would’ve assumed it was the wires. Then I would’ve bought wires and still had the same problem, and still would’ve brought it into the shop anyways. Jim’s suggestion of spraying the plugs was exactly what i should’ve done, and had I been more knowledgeable I would’ve thought to check the porcelain on the plugs. Putting them in that cardboard piece for the labeling as shown in my previous post, coupled with my own resistance to plugs being a potential issue since they had low hours, put me into an expensive learning lesson.
Glad to see you found it, but it's good that you didn't replace anything really expensive, like the ECM.

The main reasons I have seen for cracked ceramic on spark plugs- dropping the box and breaking them with the socket trying to make them bend, but I haven't seen six broken ones from one set. Where did you get them?

If you want to label them, just use a Sharpie and write on the ceramic. Also, the correct plugs are, technically, MR43LTS, but CR43LTS can be subbed. They both have a stainless base, which prevents them rusting in place from all of the moisture they see that cars and most small trucks don't.

A couple of friends were working on a Ford pickup and they had some presistent ignition issues on the #2 cylinder. They had installed a new set of plugs and since it wasn't running when they bought it, they had to figure it out the hard way since nobody had any info they could work from. They replaced some of the coils (a couple were definitely bad), checked all of the sensors, ran diagnostics, etc and eventually called in another friend who's a Ford tech- he put it on his scope and found that the plug was cracked, but it was around the edge where the ceramic meets the metal base and since it was coverred by the boot that reaches inside of the head, there's no way to see it when the coil is in place.

This solution should be sticked, so others can see it.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soder View Post
I've never seen an ICM that looks like that. I'm not familiar with the LTR ignition system. Can you take a picture of where the spark plug wires are plugged in (opposite the plugs)? The ICM should sit under that "distributor cap."
If you want to see that ignition system, look for a Buick LeSabre, Cadillac, some Chevys and other GM cars from the '90s- it's the same. It's the Northstar system, from the Cadillac division.
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Glad to see you found it, but it's good that you didn't replace anything really expensive, like the ECM.

The main reasons I have seen for cracked ceramic on spark plugs- dropping the box and breaking them with the socket trying to make them bend, but I haven't seen six broken ones from one set. Where did you get them?

If you want to label them, just use a Sharpie and write on the ceramic. Also, the correct plugs are, technically, MR43LTS, but CR43LTS can be subbed. They both have a stainless base, which prevents them rusting in place from all of the moisture they see that cars and most small trucks don't.

A couple of friends were working on a Ford pickup and they had some presistent ignition issues on the #2 cylinder. They had installed a new set of plugs and since it wasn't running when they bought it, they had to figure it out the hard way since nobody had any info they could work from. They replaced some of the coils (a couple were definitely bad), checked all of the sensors, ran diagnostics, etc and eventually called in another friend who's a Ford tech- he put it on his scope and found that the plug was cracked, but it was around the edge where the ceramic meets the metal base and since it was coverred by the boot that reaches inside of the head, there's no way to see it when the coil is in place.

This solution should be sticked, so others can see it.
I think the plugs were purchased at O’Reilly’s.

Noted on the correct plugs.

Good story about the Ford plugs.