Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-01-2020, 09:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190, LT1
97 Prostar 190 wont crank after running for a while!!

I recently bought a mint condition 97 Prostar 190 with 248 original hours. It has the EFI LT1 engine. We've taken it out twice and have had a reoccurring issue thats caused us to get towed in both times. On our first outing, we ran the boat with no issues for probably an hour and a half. We stopped for lunch and to swim for about 30 minutes. When we got back in the boat, it wouldn't stay running. It would fire but spit and sputter. When I'd give it throttle it would die. Being the first time out I just though we had run out of gas and the fuel gauge wasn't correct. Brought it home and put gas in it and it fired right up! Took it out again yesterday and the SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN! When I bought the boat I changed the circulating water pump and both thermostats (160 / 143). The temp stays around 170ish. I've been running 93 octane in it. Previous owner changed fuel filter and spark plugs last year. Ive been told that the EFI will not vapor lock, but this sure acts like thats what its doing. Any suggestions on what the issue could be.