Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-06-2019, 04:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft x2
battery/alternator issues

Having some battery charging issues on the x2 (Ilmore 5.7) and in the process of having the batteries checked I noticed that they are 525 CCA. The house battery tests out fine and the starter battery tests ok for charging but was reading the CCAs in the mid 200s. I was able to recharge the batteries and run the boat but the alternator is not charging them. Multimeter is reading the battery charge only. Mastercraft's website says they should be at least 750 CCA. Is 525 CCA an issue? Could it have anything to do with the charging issues? The batteries were brand new about 6 weeks ago and were put in by the dealer before we bought the boat. Never thought to check them at the time. Just assumed they would put the right betteries in. Any insights would be appreciated.

Also, can anyone post a link to a video of taking one of these alternators out. I can see the bolts and the connections but I cannot seem to figure out the tensioner.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
The CCA rating will not cause an issue for the alternator. Did you test alternator input and output right at the alternator? I would do this prior to removing. There are things external of the alternator, that can cause it to not have any output. All of which will not be present when you remove it and take somewhere to test.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:29 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
The CCA rating will not cause an issue for the alternator. Did you test alternator input and output right at the alternator? I would do this prior to removing. There are things external of the alternator, that can cause it to not have any output. All of which will not be present when you remove it and take somewhere to test.
I had it at an electrical shop and with the boat running the guy told me that the alternator was not charging the batteries but that he wouldn't know for sure that it was the alternator until it was pulled and tested at the bench. I am still waiting for a return call from the local mastercraft dealer. This is all pretty new to me so...
Old 08-06-2019, 07:19 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
the guy told me that the alternator was not charging the batteries but that he wouldn't know for sure that it was the alternator until it was pulled and tested at the bench.
Get a new guy
Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Get a new guy
Agreed. It's not difficult to check whether or not there is 14 volts at the alternator output.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
Agreed. It's not difficult to check whether or not there is 14 volts at the alternator output.
Yes, get a new guy. YouTube some videos on how to check alternator performance and also how to do voltage drop tests. These are simple tests that can be done in minutes and will tell you where the problem is without removing any components. Once you know the problem THEN you can take stuff apart.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. Do any of you know whether or not the underrated batteries could have contributed to the charging issues? If it is the alternator, could the underrated batteries have caused the alternator to "go bad"?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Do any of you know whether or not the underrated batteries could have contributed to the charging issues
Yes, and the answer is no, as stated earlier. CCA is measuring the amount of power the battery can deliver for a specific amount of time at a specific temp while cranking an engine.