X2 - MCX or ILMOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2 - MCX or ILMOR

Looking to buy a X2 2011 - 2013 but interested in opinions on MCX vs ILMOR engines as well as any other insights on the model year differences.

Thanks!

Pick your poison, both great engines
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Mcx was only an option in 2011 - both engines will have mkre than enough power for whatever you need since they’re basically the same engine

Comment

X2, 2011, 2012 & 2013 look similar but have very different electronics.
        2013 X2 with Gen 2 & pro pkg

Comment

would definitely recommend the 2013 year model and not because of the engine, but because of the new gen touch screen.
          -=MasterCraft All The Way=-
          sigpic
          2019 MasterCraft X-Star
          2017 MasterCraft X23
          2015 MasterCraft X23
          2007 MasterCraft X45
          2009 Malibu WAKESETTER VLX SS
          2005 MasterCraft X-Star
          2004 Tige 20v
          1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190

Comment

For the most part, the MCX is as reliable as any variant of Chevy 350 out there.
            Idk about future parts availability, but that may be my only tangible reason to get an Ilmor over an Indmar, for the potential of getting OE parts easily for more years.
            '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Both are great engines. I'd try to avoid the 2012 due to the electronic issues that many have experienced.
              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Indmar MCX if you plan on doing your own work. You can get indmar parts everywhere and dirt cheep. Fixing an ilmor is like fixing a race car engine. Lots of electronics and parts that you will probably only be able to buy from an MC dealer which means you are going to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                  Indmar MCX if you plan on doing your own work. You can get indmar parts everywhere and dirt cheep. Fixing an ilmor is like fixing a race car engine. Lots of electronics and parts that you will probably only be able to buy from an MC dealer which means you are going to pay.
                  Oil changes on ilmors are easier than indmars. Same electronics on ilmor as indmar.
                  Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                  2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                  For Sale:

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                    Oil changes on ilmors are easier than indmars.
                    I thought oil changes in chris's x25 were a pita? Maybe it depends on the yr or model.
                    2006 MasterCraft XStar
                    2006 MasterCraft X1 - Sold
                    2003 Sevylor Caravelle 7' 6"

Comment

Originally posted by BudmanV24 View Post
                      I thought oil changes in chris's x25 were a pita? Maybe it depends on the yr or model.
                      Our 25 had an ilmor as well. Piece of cake! Now the fuel pump on his 45... haha.
                      Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                      For Sale:

Comment

There are indeed quite a few differences between the two. Neither engine is difficult to change the oil on but the location of the oil filter on the Ilmor is a plus, just be sure to find a cross reference for the oil filter or pay the piper at the dealer (hint they're very expensive for what there are, an oil filter). The water pump on the Ilmor is a PITA and nothing Aric says contrary to that statement will make it better. this is an area that clearly didn't need a redisgn but Ilmor did so anyway.It's belt driver (versus crank driven on the Indmars) and belts break. It's also difficult to get to and uses a key on the shaft instead of a spline hub to lock the impeller in place which could make for some serious trouble should it fall out when changing an impeller on the water in less than ideal conditions. The accessory brackets/pulleys are a much more complex system than the MCX and as with most vDrives is buried into the stern of the boat. I had a bolt from one of the brackets back out and start rubbing on the pulley. Took a while to figure out what was going and even longer to tighten the bolt back up.

There are of course other differences that will make maintenance different, some better, some not so much but either engine at the end of the day is a 350 Chevy. The only real maintenance difference I've come across that might be a concern to me is the cost of Ilmor parts which mostly gets solved if you can cross reference them (oil filter, impellers and such). Specialty items from either manufacture are going to get pricey regardless.

In the end both are fine products, I wouldn't hesitate to own either.
                        Last edited by bturner2; 01-08-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Where are you guys buying your ilmor parts from? Only place I found online was mcpartsdepot or an MC dealer.

Comment

Great insight all, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                              There are indeed quite a few differences between the two. Neither engine is difficult to change the oil on but the location of the oil filter on the Ilmor is a plus, just be sure to find a cross reference for the oil filter or pay the piper at the dealer (hint they're very expensive for what there are, an oil filter). The water pump on the Ilmor is a PITA and nothing Aric says contrary to that statement will make it better. this is an area that clearly didn't need a redisgn but Ilmor did so anyway.It's belt driver (versus crank driven on the Indmars) and belts break. It's also difficult to get to and uses a key on the shaft instead of a spline hub to lock the impeller in place which could make for some serious trouble should it fall out when changing an impeller on the water in less than ideal conditions. The accessory brackets/pulleys are a much more complex system than the MCX and as with most vDrives is buried into the stern of the boat. I had a bolt from one of the brackets back out and start rubbing on the pulley. Took a while to figure out what was going and even longer to tighten the bolt back up.

There are of course other differences that will make maintenance different, some better, some not so much but either engine at the end of the day is a 350 Chevy. The only real maintenance difference I've come across that might be a concern to me is the cost of Ilmor parts which mostly gets solved if you can cross reference them (oil filter, impellers and such). Specialty items from either manufacture are going to get pricey regardless.

In the end both are fine products, I wouldn't hesitate to own either.
                              Uh, the oil filters are $20. If that’s expensive, that’s a problem as a boat owner. Impeller is like $40.

Yes, the impeller is difficult to change. I’ve never heard of the key falling out, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.
                              Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                              For Sale:

Comment

Working...
                              X