• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197

$13,500 OBO.

PHOTOS:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbwf9y115d3jx/AABA73_wLrv0SYoK9WP_EOita?dl=0

Time to let this one go. I'll be back in the game but I have absolutely no time for boats right now and I can't have this sitting around not being used. I bought this about 5 years ago. I had it on Lake Sunapee in NH and then brought it down to TX when I relocated for work about 2.5 years ago. It has been a great machine and has served us well over the years. It runs strong.

This boat is not a beauty queen. Interior is about a 5 and exterior is maybe a 5-6. There are several imperfections and I will point everything out that I can to anyone who takes the time to come see it. The most notable ones are some fiberglass damage due to a micro burst that went through Lake Sunapee about 3 years ago. It caused some cracking on the topside of the hull and spider cracking around the cleats and a few other areas. The interior has cracking, it is original, and could probably be replaced. The underside of the boat is scuffed from repeat beaching by the previous owner. Several of the gauges have cracks in them. Would look great with the cracks fixed and a buff.

-2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197(non TT)

-600ish hours

-comes with bimini top and mooring cover. Mooring cover is in decent shape, there are a couple of tears in it, but it should last several more seasons.

-have brand new snap in bow cover that I've never installed

-complete overhaul of electronics. I had the boat rewired for a dual battery setup when I bought it. Put new stereo, speakers, 4 channel amp, perko switch for dual battery setup. There is a "critical systems" circuit (starter, nav lights, horn) that runs off the starting battery and everything else is wired to the deep cycle house battery. You can float all day with the tunes going and never have to worry about being left stranded. Or you can leave this boat in water all summer on a mooring ball with the bilge on auto and never have to worry about losing power for the bilge pump. The boat has the bluetooth mic in it that actually works great for cell phone calls.

-has an old perfect pass 6.3 wake edition that is shot. The buttons went bad so I drilled them out and replaced them with new momentary switches, but now it won't hold speed and surges. Any new owner should expect to replace it with a new GPS version. The servo should be fine and the Perfect Pass cable was replaced about 4 years ago when it broke on me.

- Acme prop (I think its the 275 slalom prop?). Gets 43-44 mph.

-trailer is in good shape for it's age. I pulled a brand new wiring harness through it in 2014 and replaced the lights with LED ones (one of the brake lights has a crack in it). The tires where replaced and bearings repacked in October 2016 right before I took the 1,750 mile drive down to TX for my relocation. Surge brakes work fine. You can be confident in pulling this trailer any distance.

Seriously buyers only please. PM me and we can exchange phone #s.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by paintpollz; 04-04-2019, 06:23 PM.
    Kevin

wow. just checked back in after all day. looks like this really created a tidal wave of interest.
    Kevin

Comment

I wish you were closer.
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by SSMoose View Post
        I wish you were closer.
        No distance is too far for another MC!
        “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
          wow. just checked back in after all day. looks like this really created a tidal wave of interest.
          at that price of course that's a steal IMO

Comment

If I saw this anywhere else I would say SCAM. Ha ha. Great boat and price

Comment

Originally posted by tommurtha View Post
              at that price of course that's a steal IMO
              Are we looking at the same boat? To his credit Kevin is being very upfront on this boat in his description. But lets be honest here, this is no peach and needs some serious dollars thrown at it if you want to bring it back. IMO this boat is right on the edge of either being brought back to life of going down the rabbit hole. I hope it's the previous rather than the latter.

The boat does have plenty of potential and could be a multi-year project to make it a boat that can be used while in the restoration process but let's do the stupid math here.....

Interior - $3.5K - $5K depending on where you live, what you want and time of year.
              Fiberglass repair - $2K - $4K depending on the extent of those spider crack and beech marks.
              Cover - $1K for a good one, $400 for a cheap one.
              Perfect Pass - It's done. $1K
              Trailer Repair - This is a wild card. I'll take a TT member at his word any day and say the wheels, tires, lights and brakes are working and in good shape. If he wasn't a member, based on appearance I would assume the worst and plan on rebuilding/replacing everything. The tires are going on their 4th season in a hot environment (TX). It's a MC trailer from 02 so that means Reliable components, the fenders are all faded and one need to have the repair completed. Step pads are missing and in general the whole trailer needs to be detailed. Depending on where you want to go with it, it could be from $0 - $1K to bring it back to life correctly.
              Prop - $400 Bent now and looks like it's been repaired before. Probably best to repair this one for a spare and buy a new one.
              Motor - If he says its good, I'll take him at his word. I would like to know what's been done and what hasn't. Oil change, trans service, with those prop strikes alignment?, belt, impeller. Lets say we do what we can ourselves and call it $300 for parts for the engine and labor to do the alignment.

Add all this up and you can see what he's asking is in line with what the boat is worth but certainly no steal. Want a boat you can get into cheap then fix and have something exceptional? If you have some skills this could be the right boat for you. The model, color and pricing for the condition could make this a good deal for the right person but it won't be cheap to get it where it needs to be.
              Last edited by bturner2; 04-02-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                To his credit Kevin is being very upfront on this boat in his description.
                btburner2 speaks. See my responses below:

-your interior #s are spot on.

-your fiberglass numbers seem high. You could have someone spend a day on this boat and fix everything for $1,500-$2,000. I've watched plenty of youtube videos on people grinding out spider cracks and filling them, I just don't see how it could on the upper end of your estimate for this boat. Or DIY if you have the skills and tools for $50.

-it doesn't need a cover. The one that it comes should last a few more seasons. The cover has wear on it, yes, but that doesn't mean it's shot, it works fine.

-perfect pass numbers are spot on

-trailer repair. It needs no repair unless you want to make it pretty. as I stated, the surge brakes work as they should, it has tires on it that have approximately 2,200 miles on them, and the bearings were also repacked and greased when the axle was serviced before I left CT. Anyone buying this boat can be confident in towing it any distance.

-Prop - That prop in the dropbox link pictures not on the boat anymore. I bought an ACME 3 blade 475 slalom prop from kpickett last year. below is what is installed on the boat. this prop gets 43-44 mph. I had a brutal time diagnosing vibrations that was due to the prop that is in the pictures in the dropbox link. When I finally replaced it with that ACME 475 prop all the vibrations went away and it finally started to perform out of the holeshot. Boat does not need an alignment.

-the motor/trans oil has gotten changes after every season, which have been consistent 25-30 hour seasons. I did the belt right after I bought the boat, which I bought with 503 hours. now the boat has around 600 hours and the belt still looks fine. I winterized this boat after every season which included the oil changes, fogging, cleaning the K&N filter, removing the water (when the boat was in NH it was store with RV fluid), filling tank with 93 plus a bottle of startron to treat the fuel, so on and so fourth. The fuel filter was just replaced maybe 10 hours ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9626.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	2396174

I think I've offered the boat at a fair price for either keeping it as is and just replacing the perfect pass or spending the money to make it pretty again. I spent many years on this forum and do not intend on leaving even though I'm selling this boat. I will be replacing it in a few years once my kiddo gets a little older and we get some work done on the house. My goal with this listing is to give a very fair representation of this machine so that any prospective buyer can be confident in what they are purchasing.

I don't believe in "steals". That means one side of the transaction isn't coming out whole.
                Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by SSMoose View Post
                  I wish you were closer.
                  Where are you? "Southeast" can't be that far. If you are genuinely interested then you should call me to ask any questions you may have, and then send someone out to see it before you make any commitment to travel. Trying to make this boat worth it to travel for so it can appeal to TTers near and far.
                  Kevin

Comment

He will also trade for a really crappy Jeep
                    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                    For Sale:
                    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                      i only take oil burners.
                      Kevin

Comment

"I think I've offered the boat at a fair price for either keeping it as is and just replacing the perfect pass or spending the money to make it pretty again. I spent many years on this forum and do not intend on leaving even though I'm selling this boat. I will be replacing it in a few years once my kiddo gets a little older and we get some work done on the house. My goal with this listing is to give a very fair representation of this machine so that any prospective buyer can be confident in what they are purchasing.

I don't believe in "steals". That means one side of the transaction isn't coming out whole."

I would agree completely with this statement. I also stated that I thought you were being honest in the representation of the boat and that I felt the boat's asking price was in line with what "I" believe the boat is worth.

"To his credit Kevin is being very upfront on this boat in his description."

"Add all this up and you can see what he's asking is in line with what the boat is worth but certainly no steal. Want a boat you can get into cheap then fix and have something exceptional? If you have some skills this could be the right boat for you. The model, color and pricing for the condition could make this a good deal for the right person but it won't be cheap to get it where it needs to be."

I'll stand by my assessment based on where I live. For the right person with "skills" this would be a good, fair deal on what could be a really nice boat.

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                          then why isn't this 197 sitting in your parking lot? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by snork View Post
                            He can't decide which crappy Jeep to trade
                            2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
                            2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                            Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
                            Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by snork View Post
                              thank you, snork.

Aric?
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X