Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 Prostar 190 Blown Motor

PHOTOS ADDED. Click this link:

Any idea what this boat is worth with a blown motor? 351w.

Years of running wide open trying to get 4 fat sacks out of the hole finally took its toll. Last year something finally broke loose inside. Maybe a rod, I'm not really sure. I've decided not to restore and opting to purchase something with more seating. Interior has some wear and tear and needs to be re-done. The hull is in good shape. (teal and white). 1:1 Transmission that's never given me any trouble. Factory prop in prefect shape. Teak platform is in great shape. Trailer in fair shape.

Any price suggestions and offers are welcome. I'm in the Atlanta area. Pictures available.
    Last edited by hyprlt900; 03-17-2021, 06:38 PM. Reason: Added Photos

Originally posted by hyprlt900 View Post
    ....... Pictures available.
    Troll
    Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-17-2021, 09:51 PM.
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

Crate motor from Summit $2600. Gaskets, carb overhaul, damper plate, oil, filter, fuel water separator, hoses, clamps, impeller and other miscellaneous supplies, add ~$600. If you do the swap work yourself, that's what you'll pay. Otherwise add at least another ~$1500 in labor @ $60/hr

Subtract that $ amt from your blue book value

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

In not running condition with an interior that needs work, this is pretty much just give it away for a nominal amount (like $1K). With the season coming up soon, most boat shops are pretty busy, so hard to get anything done for the summer season. Pictures would help a lot with any other value estimate.

Comment

Without pictures it's anyone's guess that actual condition or worth of a boat is. Even with pictures they tend to be much more forgiving of that actual condition of the boat. Slalomjunkie's method is pretty much what I use for quick value determination. Blue book has the value between $8K and $9K for the boat which is surprising but that's what it says. That said 190s can be difficult to sell and if they're not in good condition the price plummets as those looking for these boats tend to be seasoned slalom focused skiers that know what they're looking for and want an OEM pristine boat if possible.

So if we go through the process and agree Slalomjunkie has it right, which I agree with anyone buying the boat isn't going to offer up their labor for free in the purchase of a broken boat so you need to used the installed price he suggests which is $4700. Might as well round that up to $5K because well, stuff happens when working on a 30 yo boat that will drive labor up. Now lets add another $3500 for the interior and another $500 for whatever (i.e. new trailer tires, brakes, wiring, materials, etc.), along with the PITA aspect of buying a 30 yo boar with a blown motor and you have what someone that knows that they're getting into might reasonably come up with for a price. This of course assumes no gel coat repair work, no electrical problems and a trailer that is rebuildable without major repairs.

So where are we.... Let's start with the high end or $10K as this boat would be at the top of the market completed and subtract $5K for the engine, $3500 for the interior and the $500 misc. to put it back in really good shape. You're left with the boat being as robadele suggested pretty much a give away at $1000. This is how nice little ski boats end up junked.

Now you can make the case that you don't need to have a new interior or buff the hull or get a new engine and sure that will work too. But that would just stall the inevitable going this direction with a, not so slow process of deterioration, neglect and demise of the boat. Which BTW is fine if that's your plan and it's your boat. Personally I'd rather give it to someone for a grand that will fix it than sell it to someone for 2 grand that will junk it in 3 years. But that's me.....

Comment

the other thing 4 fat sacs in a 91 at wot i can guess that more than a few power turns were made i would be skeptical of the hull or at least concerned of some(many) stress fractures possibly on it. I know they are made to take a beating but that is a lot of extra stress to be putting on it

Comment

If you part it out, I might be interested in the trailer.
              05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
              15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

I added a link to photos in my original post. I agree with BTurner- I would much rather see this boat go to someone who wants to restore it to it's former glory. If anyone wants to buy this as a project boat please make me an offer!

Thanks!

Comment

No debating the advice so far but that boat is worth more then $1K

From the pics it looks unmolested and all original. Are you the original owner? How many years have you owned it? Put that boat up on ebay with full disclosure on all the issues and i'm betting you'll get at least $2500, maybe more. It's worth more then $1K if you parted it out. Does the motor run? And if it does, does it make a knocking sound or does it sound like marbles rolling around? If it runs and sounds like marbles it could have a bad damper plate. A simple disc that mates the motor to the tranmission, easy,cheap fix. I wish I was your neighbor, I'd buy it in a NY minute. Good Luck!

Comment

I got the same year in worse condition last year (but a 1000-hour engine still working—for now) and just dumped more than it’s worth to fix it up because I plan to keep it long enough TO burn that engine up. Sure hope it’s at least a COUPLE summers from now, haha.

Just here to say what most probably already know, that 1) that gel coat is of such high quality it can look like it just came off the factory floor with work and 2) did they come with that cooler access door in the cushion in the observer seat base? Mine didn’t have it and I thought I’d invented it when I asked for it to be made, haha

Comment

OP says motor is blown, interior vinyl in rough shape, dash and wheel are sun damaged, hull is oxidized......if you want to sell it, it is a $1k boat in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                        Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Originally posted by Bouyhead View Post
                          No debating the advice so far but that boat is worth more then $1K

From the pics it looks unmolested and all original.
                          Blown engine, oxidized gel, rough interior (that is not original), needs new pin striping and graphics, carpet looks trashed, and the trailer is missing the prop guard. Maybe we have different definitions of molested!
                          Last edited by BROUSSARD; 03-18-2021, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Troll
                            Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-17-2021, 09:51 PM.
                            93 190
                            (safe click)
                            John 14:6
                            (safe click)

Comment

'91 Prostar 190 Blown Motor

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2409825

MAN the standards on here, that interior is rough??? Looks fantastic haha—this is ROUGH!

I’m just taking it personally now, of course—you guys know what you’re talking about!

Comment

Working...
                              X