Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197

Boat is SOLD.

-6.0L LQ9 engine, fuel injected, 380hp, closed loop cooling (approx. 500hrs, I'll get the exact hours this week)
    -Medallion gauges replaced with Faria units, all standard gauges plus GPS speedo, depth finder with air and water temp (all gauges work)
    -Perfect Pass Star Gazer 3 event with Z-Box (new this year)
    -New steering rack, pinion, cable, and tilt mechanism
    -Bennet wake tab (for tweaking slalom wake)
    -Raw water strainer
    -Acme 431 Propeller 3 Blade 13 X 13
    -Factory cover, blue (new last year) plus original mooring cover, black (no longer water tight, but fine for keeping dust off)
    -Factory Bimini
    -Barefoot boom available, included if boat purchased at asking price, negotiable separately otherwise
    -Tandem axle trailer
    -Clear title

Overall, this is a good driver quality boat. It's not cosmetically perfect, but its not bad either and has served us well for the last few years. When I purchased the boat 3 years ago it has low hours (~200), but had been sitting. I undertook a minor refurbishment, getting all of the gauges replaced, replacing circulating water pump which was leaking, the fuel rails, spark plugs, and whatever else was needed. We have been using it regularly ever since. It's currently used a couple times a week on a private ski lake. Always stored on a lift or trailer, never in the water,

The stickers were removed when I buffer it last year and not replaced. Carpet is all intact with minor stains. The vinyl is splitting in a few places (see pics), but is still serviceable. Stress cracks in the gel coat around the rear cleats, and windshield trailing edge.

The boat is currently located in Middletown, DE. I can provide demo for any interested parties.
    Asking $20k.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ztarum; 09-10-2021, 05:59 PM. Reason: correction

Additional Pictures:
    Attached Files

Comment

Additional photos:
      Attached Files

Comment

Comments on my asking price are welcome (high, low, about right????). I've only listed it here for now, but intend to list it elsewhere shortly. My goal is to get this thing sold fairly quickly, so I want to price it correctly.

In case folks are wondering, the reason I'm selling is because I picked up a 2018 Prostar 50th Anniversary Edition that will be taking over slalom tug duties at the lake. I was using that boat at a different location this season, but have decided to consolidate and just run one ski boat next year.

Comment

I think you're market will be limited if you don't replace the exterior lettering. I think too many will want folks to know they own a Mastercraft.
          -----------------------------------
          Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
          Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
          Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

And the Upholstery.
            NEW BOAT:2004 197TT

PREVIOUS BOAT:1993 Prostar 205

Comment

Noticed the galvanized trailer. Was this ever a saltwater or brackish boat?

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
                I think you're market will be limited if you don't replace the exterior lettering. I think too many will want folks to know they own a Mastercraft.
                Thanks for the feedback. I did consider that. It's about $800 to put everything back. I know it will help it sell faster, but I wasn't sure I would come out ahead on it dollar wise. I may end up doing it still.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                  Noticed the galvanized trailer. Was this ever a saltwater or brackish boat?
                  I can't say for sure how it was used prior to my ownership. I bought the boat through a broker, but it was purported to have been used at a lake on Rhode Island.

Under my ownership it has been used for two season on the Elk River, MD, which is at the very top of the Chesapeake bay. The river is classified as being on the low end of oligohaline (0.5 - 2.5 parts per thousands salinity vs 24.1 - 27.1 parts per thousand for sea water), so very very slightly salty, but not technically fresh. This season it is at a fresh water private lake in DE.

Note that the engine is closed loop cooling, so no real concern there.

Comment

I have seen those stress cracks a lot, especially on the early 2000's MCs. I have them on my '02 XStar around the tower mounts. I know that this is just superficial in the gel, but is this something that would significantly detract from the value when related to asking price?

Comment

Originally posted by starman205 View Post
                      And the Upholstery.
                      I've decided not to do that given the time involved. I reupholstered and re-carpeted a different boat last winter, so I have a good feel for what is involved. Knowing that, I think I'd prefer to discount the price as much as necessary let the future owner decide when/if to tackle any upholstery repairs. If you feel the price is too high considering the upholstery condition, I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

All other comments aside, this thing has a relatively low hour LQ9. I wish wish wish I had that powerplant in mine, but I clearly recall it was a $6800 MSRP upgrade from the standard motor at the time - that was a lotta $ in 2002.

GLWS

Comment

Originally posted by Tristarboarder View Post
                          I have seen those stress cracks a lot, especially on the early 2000's MCs. I have them on my '02 XStar around the tower mounts. I know that this is just superficial in the gel, but is this something that would significantly detract from the value when related to asking price?
                          Yeah, I specifically mentioned and photographed them because I was a little pissed that the broker I bought the boat from didn't share that info with me before I went to pick up the boat, and I didn't want to do that to someone else. As you said, they are cosmetic only, not structural, but an eyesore none the less. For what it's worth, they haven't changed any during the time I've had the boat.

As with the other cosmetic defects, I'm trying to bake all of that into a fair price.

Basically, this boat is perfect for someone that really wants to use it and is less worried about the minor cosmetic stuff. It's not that they can't be fixed, it's just that by the time a person did all of those little things it would have been easier and cheaper to just buy a newer boat.

As an owner, I put all of my work/time/money into the functional aspects (prop, steering gear, perfect pass, gauges, trim tab, cover, speakers, etc.) so it was up for the main job --> pulling skiers. I've piled on 100hrs per year, three years in a row, and it's ready to do the same for the next guy.

Comment

Originally posted by 3event View Post
                            All other comments aside, this thing has a relatively low hour LQ9. I wish wish wish I had that powerplant in mine, but I clearly recall it was a $6800 MSRP upgrade from the standard motor at the time - that was a lotta $ in 2002.

GLWS
                            It is a good engine. The boats is unusually fast for a ski boat, topping out at over 50 mph. There not much reason to ever go that fast, but hey, if the mood strikes you can.

Comment

The asking price seems right to me. There are not many 197's for sale right now, the boat looks very capable, especially with that LQ9.
                              2001 Prostar 209

Comment

Working...
                              X