Prestolite / Pertronix IE Modules - 2pk (PNX-91589) For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prestolite / Pertronix IE Modules - 2pk (PNX-91589) For Sale

**SOLD**These are the Pertronix modules designed to replace the OEM electronic ignition modules common in Prestolite distributors from around 1990 on. Pertronix part# 91589. The OEM Prestolite modules were very robust, but over time can fail/burn out. I ended up replacing my Prestolite distributor and no longer need these. One was installed and working and had approximately 25 hours of use. The other was kept as a spare onboard and never installed. These sell for $150 ea at Summit Racing (the cheapest price I could find) to $200 each. I am selling this AS A PAIR ONLY for $200 shipping included (to CONUS). Text me and we can arrange Venmo/Paypal/Shipping: 434nine4one0seven8seven. Or reply here...but text is quicker. Thanks. One pic is what the Prestolite Distrbutor looks like (module is under the plate) and the other is the two modules for sale. Thanks! Jack
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IEModule.jpg Views:	12 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	2704560
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Prestolite.jpg Views:	13 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	2704559
    Last edited by d2jp; 08-29-2022, 09:45 PM.

Something I learned / discovered about the OEM modules; they get weak. I have replaced the OEM (second photo) with the new replacement module and a FT-II coil. Makes a noticeable difference. One of the few things that wasn't broken and I fixed it anyway, but I did like the replacement performance.

This is a good upgrade as long as you compliment it with the hotter coil (epoxy / 0.6 ohm).

A really easy install.

93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

Water, what performance gains did you notice? And do you have a part# for the hotel coil? Do you thing this upgrade would be beneficial for a 1995 prostar 190 with the TB 350 275hp?

Comment

………deleted…

Last edited by d2jp; 05-11-2022, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panigale VR 46 View Post
          Water, what performance gains did you notice? And do you have a part# for the hotel coil? Do you thing this upgrade would be beneficial for a 1995 prostar 190 with the TB 350 275hp?
          What I noticed right off was a better start on the Ford carbureted engine. The OEM had gone weak (comparably) and the new module made for a better start. That is in conjunction with the hot coil. I went from OEM 10Kv output to 40Kv output. I also added a new Arco starter to spin the engine better, taking advantage of the other components.

I was looking for starting improvement with a carburetor induced engine. This did what I wanted.

As to your Chevrolet engine, I am not certain because I am familiar with the Ford engine. You already have a nice EFI induced engine. I would suspect you are not subjected to starting issues. Sometimes the Ford engine needs a little coaxing to get it to fire on the first turn, where the EFI engine is noted for the nice clean and reliable start.

As to the coil for your application, I can't see that the hotter feed would hurt anything but again, you already have the EFI performance. That is what I was wanting and finally found the combination to make it work for me.

I don't know what distributor you have in the Chevrolet engine, thus the other (unbeknownst to me) compatible components but certainly you have an electronic ignition setup.

I have found a cast LT-1 (EFI) marine engine that I am contemplating putting in my 93, just to get the EFI performance. Problem for me now is to decide if I will gain any value since I have the performance in the Ford engine now.

To your question, the FT-II part number is PNX-45111 at Summit Racing. Use your own judgement on replacing your coil but I can guess that it would be an improvement within itself. Someone else here may know better than I do on the Chevrolet application.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-11-2022, 11:15 PM.
          93 190
          (safe click)
          John 14:6
          (safe click)

Comment

Thanks for the input Water. We can always rely on you, to provide wisdom to our forum.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

I have found a cast LT-1 (EFI) marine engine that I am contemplating putting in my 93, just to get the EFI performance. Problem for me now is to decide if I will gain any value since I have the performance in the Ford engine now.

To your question, the FT-II part number is PNX-45111 at Summit Racing. Use your own judgement on replacing your coil but I can guess that it would be an improvement within itself. Someone else here may know better than I do on the Chevrolet application.

The synopsis of your response is what I typed and then deleted. This is a good performance upgrade for the 351w running Prestolite EI module (or converted to Pertronix), beyond that platform I don't have the knowledge....and since this isnt' Facebook MasterCraft....... I won't just make up the answer LOL.

I ski behind an Indmar GM 5.7 frequently (Malibu). EFI is superior on all aspects of start-up. Early morning sessions....no warm up period needed, drop the rope and go. But, we don't make a run in my boat until I've warmed her up really good....easy idle up to 120-140 degrees then slowly ease up to about 30mph and temp usually hits 160 quickly. A few short run ups from 30 to 36, a mock pullout up to 36 and she's ready to go. This takes 5-10 minutes. If I had to 'invest' in a new Holley or QF carb I would take a serious look at the marine Sniper unit, which I have considered. But then I will read a post or two about someone with the Sniper that had a bad injector or faulty controller, etc., - and realize the small amount of warm-up time my boat needs isn't a big deal given the simplicity and my ability to fix pretty much anything that might go wrong. Once she's fully warm there is no performance difference from a skiing perspective (using PP Stargazer). Now, if you're in the course running ZO...totally different ball game (as you know) and modern engine w/ MPEFI is clearly superior.

Comment

Are these still available?

Comment

Sorry, they are sold

Comment

Working...
                  X