Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY not Pro GPS Speed control (Cost friendly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY not Pro GPS Speed control (Cost friendly)

I recently started working on for a more cost friendly approach to adding a gps speed control to old boats that can't justify a $1100+ PP setup or even the RS classic package at $900. I saw some really old posts from a different forum and got in contact with the person who started it. Currently he's creating DIY Beta test kits in small quantity and selling them at cost + shipping(around $200usd). I hopped on board and am helping with the code to make it all work. we just hit the waters for some testing this past week (clip below). If you are interested in a DIY GPS speed control let me know and I'll send you the info for contacting. the actual unit has been dubbed SteadyPass as seen in the photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TQty3DrWgg

Disclaimer...hes pulling his kid tubing while testing the system. so there's a few surges and dips on the hard turns, but hey..better than nothing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CrashCourse316; 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM.
    Sam
    Email: [email protected]eadypass.com
    Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375

I’m interested. Has there been much testing or any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cody2662 View Post
      I’m interested. Has there been much testing or any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Take a look at the youtube clip from my first post. I've been running it on my MC 280 sst with twin engine. It is still early testing and requires some manual tuning since we haven't had enough testing to find a universal setting yet. To put the progress in perspective though. He has had the units for a few years but didnt have the greatest code running it. In the last month or so we have completely redone the code and water tested the project. It is functional as a GPS or rpm control and keeps within 1 mph of target speed about 95% of the time as long as your not trying to mess with the system And if the water is smooth it does even better than that. The clip shows where it's at right now And it works very well for the current phase of testing. Now it wont replace those tournament level devices we all know of just yet as they have been in the market for 20 years with thousands of hours of refining. But we are working on it
      Last edited by CrashCourse316; 06-19-2018, 09:28 AM.
      Sam
      Email: [email protected]

Comment

Oh, sharp turns surge a bit. I haven't coded in adjustment or detection for sharp turns yet. Turns that dont dump your speed dont have an issue though.
        Sam

Comment

I’m interested. Send me the info?

Comment

super interested does it matter if it is carb or fuel injected?

Comment

Nope doesnt matter. It will run on any mechanical throttle input. No throttle by wire. We supply the main unit and code. You do the installation and other parts however you see fit. Buy your own servo and bowden cable, I personally went with the home depot parts for $5 to hookup to my twin engine.

EDIT 2/7/2019: Throttle by wire is now in engineering phase.
              Last edited by CrashCourse316; 02-07-2019, 02:22 PM.
              Sam

Comment

Nicely done - I don’t need it but will keep an eye for buddies that do (there’s at least one).

Comment

can it work with an outboard?

Comment

Originally posted by jxg View Post
                    can it work with an outboard?
                    In theory yes, I haven't attempted installing the hardware on an outboard. The main unit needs a cable run to the servo for data, the servo needs power, normally it will run off 12v but an outboard throttle you might get away with less if the throttle body doesnt have a heavy pull. You would have to do a little more work on getting the hardware setup to your engine. The biggest thing would probably be figuring out how to mount the cables to the throttle. What engine do you have? Or could you post some picture of your setup?
                    Last edited by CrashCourse316; 06-10-2018, 03:58 PM.
                    Sam

Comment

any update on this?

Comment

Originally posted by h_2_o View Post
                        any update on this?
                        Parts for the first set of kits have been ordered and are expected late June. Expecting to get 10 units built and shipped out in the next few months.

Kits will be shipped with the control board, display, and knob. Will try and mount them in a project box, but are not expecting to fully integrate the kits into an a custom gauge just yet.

We are working on a list of recommended hardware that we will make available when complete.

Feature list to date:

GPS speed and RPM reading
                        Target by speed
                        Target by RPM
                        Air and water temp readings
                        On screen time of day
                        Can use almost any servo, not just one overpriced servo solution.
                        Customize the systems speed controller to your boat through the menu.
                        Several different ways to integrate the connection to your throttle.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdE...gqvXGOR3ZAsj1g
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteadyPass
                        Sam

Comment

Interested as well. 1994 MasterCraft prostar 205.

Comment

I was looking to do an arduino gps speedo at some point this might negate that project. Glad to see someone taking up this challenge with the PID's that are out there this should not be the most difficult project ever. Are you going to release the source for it as well or not? Also when you get the 10 in do we wait for you to contact us here or do we need to contact someone else to get put on that list?

thanks

Originally posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
                            Parts for the first set of kits have been ordered and are expected late June. Expecting to get 10 units built and shipped out in the next few months.

Kits will be shipped with the control board, display, and knob. Will try and mount them in a project box, but are not expecting to fully integrate the kits into an a custom gauge just yet.

We are working on a list of recommended hardware that we will make available when complete.

Feature list to date:

GPS speed and RPM reading
                            Target by speed
                            Target by RPM
                            Air and water temp readings
                            On screen time of day
                            Can use almost any servo, not just one overpriced servo solution.
                            Customize the systems speed controller to your boat through the menu.
                            Several different ways to integrate the connection to your throttle.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdE...gqvXGOR3ZAsj1g
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteadyPass

Comment

Originally posted by h_2_o View Post
                              I was looking to do an arduino gps speedo at some point this might negate that project. Glad to see someone taking up this challenge with the PID's that are out there this should not be the most difficult project ever. Are you going to release the source for it as well or not? Also when you get the 10 in do we wait for you to contact us here or do we need to contact someone else to get put on that list?

thanks

We haven't decided about is making the code completely available. We were kinda going along the lines of creating a "request the code" form and we will make case by case decisions for handing out the basic edition of the code with a no selling or distributing agreement. What it will do for you is allow you to make your own customization to the code or if you wanted to build your own unit at your cost. We aren't currently trying to make this a huge business. The main idea is to get the system to everyone who doesn't need a tournament solution for $1000. Someone who wants a basic system with a majority of the functionality of the $1000+ system but either has a boat that doesn't justify $1000 down the drain or they just don't want to spend that kind of money for "an extra"

I am not officially adding anyone to the list directly from forum input. If you are interested in getting a unit email [email protected], Helps us track all the requests coming in and work on emailing lists.

Originally posted by cfgunnell View Post
                              Interested as well. 1994 MasterCraft prostar 205.
                              If you want on the list give us a shout at our email. We can add you to our email list and/or the list for a unit.
                              Last edited by CrashCourse316; 06-19-2018, 01:34 PM.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X