Considering a new project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a new project...

Thinking about this boat. It needs some love. If the bones are good what would you pay?

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa...516302980.html

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Originally posted by PineLakeRumble View Post
    Thinking about this boat. It needs some love. If the bones are good what would you pay?

Salty bones. US $4K tops

=https://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/d/voluntown-1986-mastercraft-ski-boat/7516302980.html

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Just not my cup of tea there.

93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

They had me at '86... so I'd admittedly overpay... hahaha

That said, I sold mine a few years back for $9200 (I think?)... mostly new upholstery, carpet, etc, and a rebuilt engine with +/- 200 hours on it (would have to look back).

... but, it still had its dings, no longer wore the '86 rainbow (was rebadged as an S&S), etc... so it shined, but certainly wasn't original.... so that values up to you....

Comment

As I said, looking for a project. What would this go for in your area?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1632449687

Next, my guess is that it is actually an '82. Anyone agree?

Between the 86 and the 8?, which boat would you prefer when the work is done? My end goal is to bring it back to 100% mechanically and enjoy the boat for what it is. We're mainly barefooters and I'm happy with my barefoot boat. Not looking to bring either back to showroom new. I've learned that when I own a mint time capsule I turn into a boat nazi. I just miss the sound and feel of a boat from this era.

Comment

The '86.... only to avoid the wood stringers for what you say you're planning... but at the '82 price.

Comment

The '86 appeals to me as I consider my old one "the boat that got away." Actually, I wondered if that boat would be fun to convert to a stars and stripes / Maple Leaf edition. My guess is it was originally a red rainbow. The interior is not original. Ripe for a makeover.

Comment

Skier and 882 thanks to you both. I appreciate your candor.

Comment

Skier and 882 thanks to you both. I appreciate your candor.
                82...100%...guaranteed

It needs stringers. But I am OK with that.

93 190
                (safe click)
                (safe click)

Comment

The '86 appeals to me as I consider my old one "the boat that got away." Actually, I wondered if that boat would be fun to convert to a stars and stripes / Maple Leaf edition. My guess is it was originally a red rainbow. The interior is not original. Ripe for a makeover.
                  The 86 will make you a good work horse. But for me, it is not an 8K boat.

That said, with your purpose in mind (no more money to be pumped into it) I might go $5-6 tops.

Thing is, if you are looking for upgrade new, a fellow can spend another 6 - 9K on top of the asking price. Just not for me. But, for 6K plus another 2 for you, that is the 8K we are discussing. There are several variable factors when buying to; restore, find a work horse, make perfect, flip, etc.

93 190
                  (safe click)
                  (safe click)

Comment

882, I'm not sure if I have the courage for stringers. When I was 18 I tried to do a body off restoration of a corvette in my parents garage. Never finished it and lost my shirt (getting married and the economy tanking didn't help). I'm nervous stringers will turn into corvette the sequel. I've learned that oxidation and small gel coat repairs require time and patience and I'm good with that. Have you done stringers yourself?

Comment

I can provide plenty of candor... and maybe even a touch of advice... but whichever you choose waterlogged is gonna be your resource... so value his opinion higher.... that dude is one heck of a resource, particulary for this era!

Comment

882, I'm not sure if I have the courage for stringers. When I was 18 I tried to do a body off restoration of a corvette in my parents garage. Never finished it and lost my shirt (getting married and the economy tanking didn't help). I'm nervous stringers will turn into corvette the sequel. I've learned that oxidation and small gel coat repairs require time and patience and I'm good with that. Have you done stringers yourself?
                        The 82 is what it is. I used to own a nice one back in 82.

What I do not like about the beautiful flake on the 78-83 is that it is hard to make shine once heavily oxidized because of the (randomly sprayed) flake itself. Easy to sand right through the flake.

I just finished my 5th stringer project. I did it for another owner, but regardless, stringers are not for the faint of heart, certainly not complicated, just tedious and time consuming.

93 190
                        (safe click)
                        (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                          I can provide plenty of candor... and maybe even a touch of advice... but whichever you choose waterlogged is gonna be your resource... so value his opinion higher.... that dude is one heck of a resource, particulary for this era!
                          Thanks for the kind words. After 43 years of Mastercrafts, a fellow has to learn a little something along the way.

Of these few boats mentioned, I'd snag that 86 at a decent price and move on.

93 190
                          (safe click)
                          (safe click)

Comment

I'm certainly not interested in make new/restore. That usually ends up with a money pit. With boats and cars (toys) the goal is to loose or make 5% when you are done with it (excluding my time of course). Work on it, enjoy it, use it, pass it along to someone who gets it and will treat it right is the dream. It has worked out a few times.

Comment

Actually, this boat is the nightmare.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1630074819

He had some serious surprises but built it right in my opinion. I actually like many of his choices. Sadly, when you invest that much you need to be committed to keeping it...forever. Love the boat but that kind of $$ is way out of reach for me ( and the next guy ).

Comment

Working...
                              X