Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Powerstar 200

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and just recently picked up a 99 Powerstar 200. It needs some work, new vinyl and a good detail to cleanup some minor hull blemishes. The boat doesn’t have a hour meter, but the motor runs well and has had all the services needed.

I paid $12k expecting to spend on the aforementioned work. What’s the value of a pristine example so I don’t go overboard on fixing it up?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Might be difficult to put a dollar figure on this. There weren’t a lot of these sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
    sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
    REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
    REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
    Email - [email protected]

Comment

Congrats and welcome!
      If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
      1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Nice find. They are quite rare. Most likely, top value is around $12-$14k and it will take a special buyer given their original design as a barefoot boat, that would hopefully lure other buyers with the open bow and "family" feel.

They never took off as the go-to barefoot boat though, in part because MC had no barefoot boat for a few years, then when this came out it was short lived, and had an average wake.

The Malibu Flightcraft and Sanger Barefooter took over, and MC dropped the hull after only 2-3 years.

Take care of the engine!! That's where your value lies. If the engine craps out, you'll spend $10k+ to get a solid used engine, and it won't change your overall value much at all.

Still a very nice boat. Make it yours, and worry about resale if/when the time comes. Enjoy it!

Comment

When unsure of a dollar figure I always check NADA first.
          /spôrk/
          a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

Don't know what it's worth.
            Do know that it's really cool.

Congratulations. You're going to have a great summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all. Great words of advice as I figure things out. I bought the boat more as a family cruiser and wanted something a little unique.

Looking forward to posting my progress on the boat on the forum.

Comment

You will really enjoy your Powerstar! I have a 1998 and it is a great all around ski boat with tons of room inside for all the family stuff. A word of caution, be very careful with kids/people and the outboard. Establish rules and maybe get some of the safety devices available. Have Fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by kmskier View Post
                  You will really enjoy your Powerstar! I have a 1998 and it is a great all around ski boat with tons of room inside for all the family stuff. A word of caution, be very careful with kids/people and the outboard. Establish rules and maybe get some of the safety devices available. Have Fun!!
                  Thanks! I used to have a Larson with an OB, so good call on the rules for the kids. Have you taken on any projects with yours? I’m thinking a complete interior redo.

Comment

The only thing I've done to mine is put a bimini top on it. Check out this guy's PowerStar site and read about all of his projects. https://sites.google.com/site/master...erstars/to-dos

Comment

Take care of the motor like said above. That’s the only thing keeping the value up.

Comment

Congrats on the boat! Like others have said, keep tabs on that motor. Have a qualified Mercury or outboard tech go over that Optimax. Total run time ( engine hours ) and RPM history can be retrieved via a scan tool. Make sure the RPM history ( time motor spent at certain RPM's ) adds up to total run time. RPM history can be erased, total engine hours cannot. The Optimax has a little belt driven compressor that supplies air pressure to force fuel into the cylinder. So each cylinder has a fuel injector and an air injector. Fuel rails,hoses, and all injectors should be cleaned and tested every 300 hours or after a compressor failure. Check all oil lines on the motor there is a lot of them!! They start at the oil pump and go to the upper/lower crank bearings,compressor,intake plenum, everywhere! If the get brittle or come off you"ll have problems. I also to a compression test and leak down test twice a season. One mid season and one at the end. The Opti is a great motor, run fresh gas, good oil, and keep tabs on things. That puppy is pricey to rebuild,replace.

Comment

Mini update.

Got the boat cleaned up and engine serviced and out for the first run. Still a few more projects to do, but I think it’s looking great so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9C15D26F-0B8E-44F6-ABF1-D4811949DE9D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	2385314

Comment

Originally posted by GTank View Post
                            Mini update.

Got the boat cleaned up and engine serviced and out for the first run. Still a few more projects to do, but I think it’s looking great so far.
                            It sure does look great!

What are you seeing for top speed, or were you going easy on the first run?

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
                              It sure does look great!

What are you seeing for top speed, or were you going easy on the first run?
                              Two people in the boat on a slightly choppy day and I took it up to 55. Still felt like I could have gone faster, but didn’t want to catch a wave. I haven’t validated the speedo is accurate, so next time out I may test on GPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X