Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all SLED owners...need some advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all SLED owners...need some advice?

My wife and I just returned from a great couple of days in the snowmobile town of Old Forge NY, in the Adirondack region. To make a long story short, I rented a couple of 2005 Polaris Indy Super Sport 550's for us to ride the trails for our 2 days and it was the best time (short of the time we spend on our MC of course). We had both snowmobiled growing up but got away from the sport for many years, and after this experience we are sold on doing it at least a couple trips per year (for us that amounts to 2 3-day trips, seeing as how Ohio has no snow anymore). So, now I am thinking that we may just take the plunge and buy a couple of sleds, however, I need some advice on what to look for. Specifically, we really liked the sleds we used, however, after talking to some of the other riders they said we should look at liquid cooled rather than fan cooled, what do you think? Also, we are not going to take any wild trips, just fun trail riding in the UP, NY, etc., so, what are your thoughts on size of machine?
    Finally, for now, I understand that everyone probably has their favorite brand, but in plain and simple terms, which sled do you see broken down on the side of the trail the most and the least? Which has the best track record?
    I liked the Polaris and truthfully, I beat the snot out of the 2 machines for a little over 200 miles, and they seemed to hold up well.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

There is No and I mean no better machine for the money than the Ski-Doo 500ss Adrenaline.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by duckguy
      There is No and I mean no better machine for the money than the Ski-Doo 500ss Adrenaline.

The Ski Doo REV chassis is an incredible advance in sled technology. The seating position on the REV's and some of the newer sleds is lightyears ahead of the sleds you just rode. Instead of sitting way out back, you are seated in the center of the sled. This allows the sled to pivot underneath you when the trails get rough. The Ski Doo 500ss motor is actually a non-high output 600cc motor known for their bulletproof reliability. I am on my third Ski Doo and have had nothing but good luck. Check out www.dootalk.com for more information on the sleds Ski Doo offers. They also have a classified section to find a great deal on some used sleds. Given the poor snow conditions over most of the country it is a buyers market right now. Good luck in your search and don't be afraid to ask questions.
      Always Happy.......Never Satisfied

2021 X24

41 Mastercrafts and counting

Comment

I have worked on several Arctic Cats, I have seen several blown up Polaris' and I have ridden a 800 and a 600 Ski-Doo Renegade (similar to above with a longer track) and I must insist you WILL NOT and CANNOT go wrong with a Ski-Doo. Any REV Chassis machine will be great. A 500 GSX for your wife and a 6 or 8 for yourself would be perfect. REV chassis reflects the best ride, seating position and handling on the market IMO...

Visit www.dootalk.com but before you do have a couple of cold ones in place because you have some reading to do.

Also... There are some smoking deals on dootalk. There are lots of guys who have to buy a new machine every year or two and sell thier old ones at a very reasonable price.

Best of Luck - BRRRRRRRR-----BRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAP p p p p p

Comment

We ride in northern NH. We have a couple of older sleds (now 10 years old - both were about 5 years old when we bought them) that still run great. Given how little we actually use them, I have a hard time justifying upgrading, and they work fine. One is a Ski Doo Mach Z (for when I go alone), and other is a Polaris Ultra Touring (for when I go with the wife). Both are nice, but I prefer the Ski Doo. The only Rev I rode was a fan cooled 550 that someone in our group rented once, and I was extremely impressed. It could have used a little more power, but I loved the way it rode and handled.
          2021 MasterCraft X-Star.... Sale Pending! 2022 MasterCraft X24 on order.

Comment

The REV is addicting. Once you get used to it, going back to a traditonal sled is not an option. It has a very natural riding position. Chicks dig Ski Doo's too
            Always Happy.......Never Satisfied

2021 X24

41 Mastercrafts and counting

Comment

A Studded and Carbided Ski Doo 800 Renegade will scare you at first pounce of the throttle and then it will put a smile on your face.

I PROMISE YOU - SKI DOO

You will not be sorry ....

Comment

What is the MSRP on one of those?

Comment

Only about $10,000

Comment

JKski,
                    Once you decide on what you want, Look here: www.snowmobileauction.com

I have a polaris 800 storm that has been an awesome sled. NOt that I get a chance to ride much, but it is definitely a fun ride. I suggest that for ease of maint, go with a fan cooled. I see the Cats, Doos, Yamahas, and Polaris' as I see MCs, CCs, and Bus. Everone has their favorite and reasons they have what they have. But in the end, all four are quality brands.
                    Good Luck

Comment

SkiDoo or Yamaha have the best reliability and fit/finish - your choice there will be between 2 stroke and 4 stroke. SkiDoo has better handling. IMHO, it's not the hands-down winner that DatDude thinks it is, but I agree the handling and suspension concept is better than Yamaha's.

Polaris is struggling right now, it wouldn't surprise me if they got out of snowmobiling althogether. Arctic Cat's handle well, have adequate powerplants, but are pretty well-known for terrible reliability IMHO.
                      '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

FWIW- I absolutely can not stand the "HUM" that bellows from the new yamis. I have ridin a few, and these guys that talk about how quiet they are...I LAUGH at that. Those things irritate me to drive.
                        I can get past LOUD anything including open exhaust for that matter, but that "noise" get to me like finger nails across a chalkboard.
                        The Vector does not have that sound the attaks do. I don't know where the sound comes from, but I'd guess in the driveline somewhere. Maybe the gear reduction. They sound cool idling though...

Comment

500ss can be had for 6k easy new

Comment

I have two Yamaha RX1 sleds. They are 4 strokes and are 1000cc. Very reliable and very fast. Yamaha builds a very nice machine.

Good luck,
                            Rich

Comment

You guys are great, and I appreciate the insight, I certainly want to make the right choices.
                              So what is the better way to go fan cooled or liquid cooled?
                              I will definetly check out the doo site you guys provided the link to, but what should I expect to pay for 2 nice used sleds on a trailer, similar to thoise posted above?
                              Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X