No announcement yet.

J.D. Power Consumer Centre (MC is 3rd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.D. Power Consumer Centre (MC is 3rd)

2007 ratings show MC in 3rd place, behind Correct Craft (1st again and have been for a number of years) and Malibu (2nd). The 2006 ratings had MC in 2nd place. I'm frustrated!! I have had nothing but positive results with MC (04 X-10 and 07 X-15 on order) and my dealer. I've owned a Malibu (03 Response LXi). I have toured the MC and Malibu plants in TN. How can MC get an "about average" rating for the categories of; overall rating, engine, design & styling, and ride & handling. Don't they all use Indmar engines? Look at all the new boats and innovative designs from MC. I don't follow the competition but I'm not aware of such unquie and innovative designs from anyone else, at least not to the extent of MC. How do you explain average ride / handling? I believe MC were the first with stepped/notched hulls in tournament boats. I would really like an explanation from MC. Where are all these less that desirable ratings coming from? In any articles a read (and I am always searching for independent assessments of MC relative to the competition) MC seems to always come out on top, as a superior boat. Where does JD Power get their information from?

I am with you there, Mike; I think we all agree that MC makes a terrific boat and should have at least been second.
    If you don't fall, you're not trying hard enough.

Comment

sometimes the more you pay, the more you expct ...

also, CC does not use Indmar ... and they do not have in tank fuel pumps (like the one that failed on our Xstar).

JD power gets their information from US/me (consumers) [do they send surveys out to those of you in Canada?], if you buy a new boat they send you a survey, and then the also send you a follow up survey the next 1-2 years.

Some people fill these out with blanket A+'s, others are honest about their answers.

IMO a better dealer leads to a more satisfied customer impression of the boat, and if you can get it fixed quicly you are less likely to remember the inconvenience.
      Last edited by PendO; 02-24-2007, 07:41 PM.
      At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

Is not JD Power and associates the same group the decided the Buick LeSabre was the best car on the planet some time ago?

I have seen all of these boats at the most recent boat show in my area and all I can say is it's time to change water in JD Power's Bong

The CC guy tried throwing all that JD crap in my face and I pointed to his board racks. I said you're gonna tell me these are as good or better than MC
        Him Haw Him Haw Pucker change subject look at our dash

LOL whatever you sawed off son of the founder

Comment

I've never put much stock in any of those type of reports.

Like all these care dealers that are bla, bla, bla certified because all their customers gave them perfect scores.

I have no idea how to improve the rating, though.
          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

How close are the rankings? Sometimes everyone loves their product and the difference is so small it is insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by PendO
              sometimes the more you pay, the more you expct ...

also, CC does not use Indmar ... and they do not have in tank fuel pumps (like the one that failed on our Xstar).

JD power gets their information from US/me (consumers) [do they send surveys out to those of you in Canada?], if you buy a new boat they send you a survey, and then the also send you a follow up survey the next 1-2 years.

Some people fill these out with blanket A+'s, others are honest about their answers.

IMO a better dealer leads to a more satisfied customer impression of the boat, and if you can get it fixed quicly you are less likely to remember the inconvenience.

I question why I did not receive a survey when I bought a brand new MC X-30 last year?

Comment

Originally posted by michael freeman
                I question why I did not receive a survey when I bought a brand new MC X-30 last year?
                not sure, they sent me a second one as I had not completed and sent in the first one ... I would have thought that the manf. gives JD Power the contact information, and then there is a serial # on the form so that they can track to see if you have sent it back in?
                At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

Perhaps mastercraft should control/train their dealers a bit more. Set up issues will certainly impact perception. Ex. I went for a test drive in an x-15, the first time they had to take the boat in immediately because the instrument panel was non-functioning. The second time the demonstrator max rpm the boad even though it was in it's first 5 hours of usage. Think I wanted to buy that boat? I did order an x-15 from a different dealer, but am now dealing with a few minor issues that include gouges where the tower was layed down. Regardless of how good the basic design and quality of the boat, failing to deliver without annoying issues to the customer is imperative if Mastercraft wants to continue their good standing and demand price for well built boats.

Comment

Originally posted by michael freeman

Mike...I hear ya.

I have bought 5 new myself. Never recieved one. It is most disappointing as a dealer to see this happen to MC. MC uses basically the same motor as BU with a few added features. Indmar marinizes both motors. MC brings new ideas and features to the market first then everyone follows suit. There is a TRUTH SURVEY at MC dealers that all of you should see and take. A real eye opener.

Is JD powers a bought award? In some ways yes. This IS NOT a CC bashing statementMy uinderstanding there are different levels for use of there logo and marketing materials. CC takes it to the extreme so they can use there little LOGO and trophies. They make a great boat...MC makes a BETTER boat. A little known fact. CC boasts a 5/6 year warranty on there boat...here is the spin on that one. The majority is through an extended warranty company that there is a deductable on. Do not think that that warranty cost IS NOT being put into the price of the boat somewhere. Approx $3000 retail.

From the BU side of the house. MC beat out Bu in realiabilty and quality. How can you come in 3rd when you smoked em in that catagory? Watersports???? What is that? We hold ALL the WORLD RECORDS and FIRSTS. BU finally released that a 1080 was done behind there Wakesetter by RUSTY..our skier. No photos or film to prove it, and not done in a competition. OK BU Lets see it for real!!! Just another statement of "We are just as good as". Why are you not the best BU?

CC pays for that award...maybe CC customers where called more than MC. I do not know. I will tell you that the report is done on over 1000 telephone calls. When you do the math. MC is less that 1 percentage point from CC...less than 1 percentage point. C'mon cut me a break.

For me the point is this, at least somewhat. BAWS strives to keep our CSI score at 100. It is tough to do but we keep it there. It is a constant battle to make everyone happy. We are not selling cars. We sell FUN and customers want access and realibilty when it comes to using there FUN (BOATS). If I SOLD the competition I would still have alot of very statisfied customers. In someway it is a priveldge to sell MC. Not everyone can do that. I could get Gekko or Ski Supreme tommorrow. I DO NOT want to dilute what we sell or what we stand for. We sell the BEST...and the competition knows it. Everyone is ALWAYS gunning for #1. I knocked #1 in Tampa Bay out of the park 4 years ago when we took on MC. He is still playing catchup. I have 2 CC's in for service and 3 BU's. Not one, Not one MC that we have SOLD has ever gone to another dealership for service. What I am saying is SERVICE is what keeps ya goin. If I sell you a MC and you come in for a 10-25 hr first service and I tell you 4 weeks because my service dept is fillled with bass boats and jet skis. What kind of service is that? That is why we see alot more of the competition come in. This is my compitions business practice. "They bought the boat, profit was made...now lets not worry about the service we sold the boat and made money." BS on that one. We actually on occasion if we are not that busy, and have large projects get the compitions boat out FIRST on easy service work. Oil changes, starters, impellers and such. Just to make a statement. don't worry we are not putting anyone else off. I want them to leave saying Holy SH-T the MC dealer took care of me pretty fast. Maybe I should have bought a boat there. He was'nt lying when they said the service there was good. Maybe I should have paid more money for a MC? That could bite BAWS in the butt, because he did get a better price on a boat and now is getting the service that he expects just not from HIS/HER dealer.

It is tough to stay on top. A little cocky statement YES But if I wasnt a little cocky I wouldnt be here today to make the statement

P.S. Don't believe all the SPIN that you read. MC is still #1 and it is ALL about the dealer.

If Mike in Charlotte reads this I am sure he will add 5+ cents to this one. He sees more BU's than I do.

It is SUNDAY morning and my typing hands are fellin the pain Excuse me for now

[email protected]
                    James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
                    Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
                    (813) 996-BAWS (2297)

Comment

Jim,

Nice to see how seriously you take service.

Can I ask, does service make your business money? In terms of both warranty and non warranty work? If I am out of line with the question, please let me know. I'm not trying to get too personal.
                      Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Originally posted by Maristar210
                        ...all I can say is it's time to change water in JD Power's Bong
                        Good one, and right on.

Michael Epp, don't let it frustrate you. You bought the right boat didn't you? You had the right reasons? You love your MC?

Then go ski and be happy ! Or wait until spring thaw.....

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE
                          Jim,

Nice to see how seriously you take service.

Can I ask, does service make your business money? In terms of both warranty and non warranty work? If I am out of line with the question, please let me know. I'm not trying to get too personal.
                          Service...lets see what day of the week is it???

yes it does...it is ALL part of the equation

[email protected]

BOAT SALES TO MASS... HELP OUT TOO!!! HA HA HA had to get that one in. Enjoy your new MC I am sure you will

(813) 996-BAWS (2297)

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Maristar210
                            ...all I can say is it's time to change water in JD Power's Bong

WOW DUDE...Hello Mr Hand

(813) 996-BAWS (2297)

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                              What I am saying is SERVICE is what keeps ya goin.

"They bought the boat, profit was made...now lets not worry about the service we sold the boat and made money." BS on that one.
                              Amen. I always say a sales staff may get you your 1st boat, but your service dept. will get you the follow-ups.
                              2002 MasterCraft X10
                              2004 MasterCraft Prostar 205v 'Wakeboard Edition'
                              2018 MasterCraft XT20 50th Anny

Comment

Working...
                              X