Beached boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimN
    Slink- show me a winch that will hold 500 yards of chain, that's not on a barge or tow truck.

That was my point! you only need 50yards, you can tie the extra to it do to it having to be so far away!
    When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Comment

• First call your insurance and then call the helo!! If you tear it up trying to get it out your insurance co may tell you “TUFF LUCK, you did it you fix it” It would s*ck to be paying for a boat with a cracked hull and then that $1500-$2000 would seem cheap…..get their advice first
      [Originally Posted by kjohnson
      Did you take the boater's test prior to purchasing. Flush a $100 bill down the toilet. If it bothers you, you aren't ready to own a boat.

Jeff
      Blue Skies and Soft Landings
      2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
      1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD

Comment

• Originally posted by RobertT
        Just about every area is served by a helicopter lifting service. They do a variety of things, but are mainly used for construction purposes. To be more specific, they lift air handlers to the roofs of buildings. Its much cheaper to spend $1,000.00 on a helicopter than try to get a crane large enough to put a air handler on the roof of a 30 story building (or a 2 story).

I know it sounds crazy, far fetched, to think that you can get a chopper for an hour or two but its not unless you live in the boondocks.

On every project that we have of any size, we count on one morning or afternoon where we cannot be on site at all. While a helicopter works, they do not let anyone under it except for the people that are doing to rigging. We don't mind, for obvious reasons.
        I thought helicopter the first time I read this but didnt know the cost, so I just sat back and ate popcorn

this is a good idea I think
        does you ski safe policy cover rescue or towing? that outta be fun to essplain
        Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan
        Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

Comment

• Make sure you get an experienced helicopter pilot....
          '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

• thats crazy big mac..!

i dont know much about helicopters but it seems to me that you would need a pretty large one to lift 4500lbs or so. not your average helicopter. look how easily that one went down and it was just twing the boat.

Comment

• Maybe you just need a bigger helicopter?
              STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Comment

• This helicopter pilot is probably looking for a new job, but I'm not sure he' be the right choice in this circumstance...
                '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

• Would a hot air balloon work to take some of the weight out and then your 20 friends could pull the boat where it would start to float?
                  '14 X10 GEN2

Comment

• BearX-1:

PM (duplicate by e-mail) headed your way.
                    MasterCraft /MariStar OEM Decals (1989 to 2001) for various models.
                    Over 70 different decals to choose from!

Comment

• Thanks C36.

Comment

• A good point was brought up. If you damage the boat during extraction, your insurance carrier will more than likely deny the claim.

If I remember right, my boat insurance policy covers the cost to remove my boat from a body of water if it sinks. I would guess that there is a very good chance that the removal of your boat at this point is a very valid insurance claim.

Even if your insurance goes up by 20% a year, it wont be even close to worth it to take the risk and go at it alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobertT
                          A good point was brought up. If you damage the boat during extraction, your insurance carrier will more than likely deny the claim.

If I remember right, my boat insurance policy covers the cost to remove my boat from a body of water if it sinks. I would guess that there is a very good chance that the removal of your boat at this point is a very valid insurance claim.

Even if your insurance goes up by 20% a year, it wont be even close to worth it to take the risk and go at it alone.
                          I could be wrong, but... I doubt th insurance co. is going to help out very much. Unfortunately care, custody, and control are being taken, but it is almost too late. If you say too much, they may deny based on neglect. They will study the amout of time it took the water to drop to the current level thus putting the boat in the danger that it is in. Sadly they are more likely to cover it after it is at the bottom of the lake. An example. The ins co will not pay to take down a tree that is about to fall on your house, it has to fall first and cause damage. But, did you neglect the possibility of a loss?? Since the boat is not damaged yet. I doubt much of anything will be covered. I hope they do cover the removal, but I just don't think you should get your hopes up. PS if you plan to try extracation through the claims process DO IT NOW! Don't wait any longer.. The worse it gets well, the more likelyhood your claim will have to be denied based on care/ neglect of the property... Just my 2c on the insurance paying for it...

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmer2880
                            I have to say... honestly, if it was my boat. I'd remove everything I could & wait for it to float again. Any kind of dragging is going to do some further damage to the hull. Even if you have a fail-safe plan (except for the helicopter idea, that is), I've been around long enough to know that nothing like this ever goes as planned.
                            I agree you have taken the prop off. No one is going to steal it. Take your cover out there, cover it and wait. If you dont live close, ask someone who does just to keep an eye on it and let you know if they see anyone messing with it. I know its hard to let it sit but I have messed with trucks, trailers, duck blinds, 4-wheelers, john boats ect stuck in rice fields when the water is down and when your dealing with soft mud and weight you will always lose. Best way is to float it out and the only way to do that with 4000lbs is to wait for the water to come up.
                            2006, X-45, Acme 1285, X-Star ballast, Heater, Shower,

Comment

• Originally posted by bcampbe7
                              One thing I am wondering is if the boat will break the suction of the mud once the water level comes back up... You may have to pump water/air under it to break it loose.
                              It will pop up like a cork! Septic tanks which weigh far more than that boat will pop up out of the ground if you dont fill them with water. You are dealing with extreme pressure the other way when the boat wants to float it will be no problem.
                              2006, X-45, Acme 1285, X-Star ballast, Heater, Shower,

Comment

• I don't know if it's been talked about but wouldn't it be good to try and get the prop off if possible. If it gets drug through the mud and sand the blades if not damaged already will probably take a hit and possibly cause damage to the shaft!!! Just a thought!!!

Scratch the above it was just covered and "GOOD LUCK" Ryan
                                Last edited by chudson; 03-21-2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X