Comparing MCX to the 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing MCX to the 8.1

Does anyone have any advise for a potential 1st time new owner of a X30. I am looking at 2 potential finalist and one is the 350 and the other is the 450 horse. Details... 2003 with the 8.1, has 28 original hours and is $6,000 less than the 2004 MCX with 150 hours. Note - the 04 has a trailer and the 03 does not. I am primarily interested in the dependability factors. I live in SC so altitude does not play a role in my decision.

Thanks for any feedback.

Originally posted by MCtowtroy
    Does anyone have any advise for a potential 1st time new owner of a X30. I am looking at 2 potential finalist and one is the 350 and the other is the 450 horse. Details... 2003 with the 8.1, has 28 original hours and is $6,000 less than the 2004 MCX with 150 hours. Note - the 04 has a trailer and the 03 does not. I am primarily interested in the dependability factors. I live in SC so altitude does not play a role in my decision.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Check this beauty out in Southern GA, http://www.tmcowners.com/market/show...uct=1362&cat=6
    Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
    At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by MCtowtroy

Thanks for any feedback.
      Search through the threads for posts from Pendo and MYMC regarding the need for the 8.1L in the bigger MC's. Both have stated that buying a boat of this size, with the MCX is like buying a Corvette with a V-6. The MCX will do the job, but will do it at much higher RPM, with much more fuel consumption and much more of a struggle.

BUMP for Pendo or MYMC!!!
      -Cameron
      2007 ProStar 197
      1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Thank you, I'll look them up. Thanks again...

Comment

If either was used in salt water I would not recommend buying t.
          sigpicwww.boathouseh2o.com

Comment

both are exclusive fresh water boats

Comment

I would negotiate on the newer boat with MCX engine and trailer.

A new MC tandem axle trailer isn't cheap!
              sigpicwww.boathouseh2o.com

Comment

Truth is I don't need a trailer. I am fortunate enough to live on the lake and have an enclosed boat "house" with lift. Any feedback on dependability of the 8.1 vs the MCX? This will ultimatley drive my final decision. I truly want to avoid any issue with repairs short of the standard maintenance stuff.

Comment

Big Boat & Small Engine = Crappy Experience

We have an 04 X-Star with the 8.1 and I could not imagine pushing that big of of boat with the MCX. We only have 350 hrs on our 8.1 so I can not comment on the longevity but the boat has run perfect thus far. Do not get an X-45 with the MCX, you will not be happy.

Let me repeat, do not get an X-45 with the MCX.
                  Pictures

Comment

Personally, I would not put all of the decision on the engine. I had an '03 with an MCX and it wasn't that bad. I ran the stock prop also. It got up fine, even with alot of weight in it. Now it didn't yank you out of the hole, but it wasn't unbearable.

Now a new style X30, those are 1000# heaver and really need the bigger engine.

Chalk this up as one option and weight the other aspects of the boats equally (color, other options, condition). Hours shouldn't even come into play, those are both pretty low hour boats, even though the 8.1 only has 28 hours on it, it's been sitting for 3 years too. I've found that not using an engine regularly is just as bad as putting ALOT of hours on one.

Comment

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&
                      James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
                      Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
                      (813) 996-BAWS (2297)

Comment

I had an '03 Maristar 230 (same as X30) with the MCX engine, when propped correctly would pull very well even with ballast and 10 people on boat. Fuel consumption was not an issue, and the engine does not require premium gas!

Of course, the 8.1L will give you a better holeshot. Keep in mind your going to need premium gas for it, and sounds like your buying gas on your lake $$$. Do they even offer premium at the dock, or will you have to carry gas cans?

No need for a trailer? What about winterizing/storage? What if you want to tow your boat to a different lake? I couldn't live without a trailer, but I don't live on a lake either.

My 2003 230VRS is still for sale at Hern Marine in Cinncinatti. www.hernmarine.com look under used boats. It's a nice clean fresh water boat that I've owned since it had 6 hours on it, now has 125 hours.
                        I was njskier on here.

Comment

So you save $6K and get the bigger engine? Seems like a no brainer. If the 2 were the same price it might be more of a decision. Athough I don't know what that trailer is worth. Must be close to the six thousand though. Still seems like the older one is the right choice.

I was considering buying a boat recently without the engine that I wanted. Everyone here confirmed my suspicions that I would be nuts to buy a boat in that price range that didn't have exactly what I wanted.
                          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Last edited by PendO; 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM.
                            At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

Last edited by PendO; 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM.
                              At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

Working...
                              X