Comparing MCX to the 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MYMC
    No matter what anyone here posts or says you cannot compare 450hp to 350hp and expect the 350 to come anywhere close in performance (unles the L-18 has a plug wire off)! Is the MCX adequate sure...but so are a lot of things, is adequate what you are looking for when buying a toy?

The REALITY is the 450hp engine works less and is stressed less than the 350hp...Further in resale value look in the NADA, the 450 is still a $10,000 add to the boat where the MCX is not as a matter of fact it is the engine that was considered standard so it adds nothing even though it was an added cost option...game, set and match...enjoy your big block!
    Yoda: "hmmm, powerful in the force he has become. Yet he is still too old. ... A great Jedi Knight he will become..."

My MCX and I respectfully request you leave reality out of this. Anyone have any recommended treatments for blocktile disfunction? I just learned I have a small block

I am sure I will adjust and can lead a normal life given time to heal.
    06 X-30

Why yes I do love a rampy wake with a firm lip. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G
      Anyone have any recommended treatments for blocktile disfunction? I just learned I have a small block
      What's your budget

Truly, I think the stepped hulls with more wetted surface are where you will really notice the hp ... when I look in the waterskimag.com buyers guide the older style x30 (not stepped) get up near 50mph with the MCX, which is adequate top end for me ... I think you should get 1mph for the first 50K, after that the curve becomes somewhat exponential IMO (chrome costs $$)

here is some info I ripped from waterskimag ... also, here is what BigMac had out of his 230vrs with a prop swap:

Originally posted by bigmac
      1. Max RPM at Wide Open Throttle-------------5250
      2. Max Speed at Wide Open Throttle--------------49
      3. Year of Boat--------------2004
      4. Manf. & Model---------------MC 230VRS
      5. Engine--------------MCX
      6. Transmission gear ratio----------1.5:1 V drive
      7. Prop dimensions (# of blades and pitch)---------------Acme 847 4 blade 13.5x17.5
      8. Octane of fuel------------91
      9. Normal operating Elevation-------------2000ft
      Last edited by PendO; 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM.
      At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

Originally posted by SodarSki73
        Bigger is always better.... Right!?!?
        there are so many inappropriate ways to answer this question, and yet, you already know the answer
        At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

Mike, what's your take on an engine that is 3 years old and has only 28 hours on it??? That's alot of sitting, what should be looked for?

Comment

How on earth can a 23 foot Vdrive top out at 48mph, while my lean and mean 197/X7 top out at 44-45mph?

Yes, I have the MCX.

Comment

Originally posted by djhuff
              Mike, what's your take on an engine that is 3 years old and has only 28 hours on it??? That's alot of sitting, what should be looked for?
              Change the fluids, filters and you should be okay. If you want to sleep better at night have the compression checked and a leak down performed. I wouldnt worry too much, but better safe than sorry.
              "You do realize that a nutless monkey could do your job"

Les Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by RobertT
                How on earth can a 23 foot Vdrive top out at 48mph, while my lean and mean 197/X7 top out at 44-45mph?

Yes, I have the MCX.
                Flat bottom boat VS. a true V-Hull...your 197 never gets the "boat" up and out of the water, where the V-hull actually begins to ride on the "pad" in the rear. Short answer? Less wetted running surface at WOT.

Les Grossman

Comment

MYMC,

Any idea the top speed on the X1 with the MCX?

If you were to recommend that boat to me, would it be with the Powerslot????? I hope not, but want to check.

Comment

We have an 2006 X-Star with MCX. Most of the time we run with 3000+lbs of ballast. We had to reprop and performance is OK now, but we are constanly running at around 4000 rpm. We have to reprop for cruising or skiing, as we will overrev at about 32mph.
                    If you will use the boat with standard ballast only, the MCX will do, if you plan on doing serious wakeboarding and will add ballast, get the 8.1.
                    We are perfectly happy with every aspect of the X-Star, but we would get the 8.1 if we would get a new one.

Comment

MYMC,

If you were to recommend that boat to me, would it be with the Powerslot????? I hope not, but want to check.
                      All our V-drives are 1.52:1 so you need not worry, you already have a PowerSlot. The X1 should run 45 to 47 with the MCX.

Les Grossman

Comment

THanks Mike, I was just curious with your knowledge and all, if you had any feelings one way or another. I DEFINATELY don't have a problem with a low hour boat (mine turned one year old yesterday and I'm at 180).

I asked because I have had issues with older cars in the past where they were extremely low mileage, but things kept breaking on it (mainly the rubber parts had dried out).

Comment

MYMC,

I hit 49 MPH at WOT with the MCX in a 05 X2 last year. No GPS to confirm, tho.......Must get the speedos dialed in with GPS this year.......
                          www.nwboatsports.com
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Bo...27792007306783

Comment

Thank you...

I want to thank everyone for their advise and support. Particullarly, I would like to recognize "Pendo" for the extra effort. Not only did he support this thread with some great data, but he emailed me more. Made my decision last evenig an easy one to purchase my 2003 Mastercraft. That is correct, the 03 X30 with the 450 horse 8.1.

I highly recommend Team talk and the folks that make it happen. Any future newbies need only read this thread to understand the real value.

Comment

Originally posted by MCtowtroy

I want to thank everyone for their advise and support. Particullarly, I would like to recognize "Pendo" for the extra effort. Not only did he support this thread with some great data, but he emailed me more. Made my decision last evenig an easy one to purchase my 2003 Mastercraft. That is correct, the 03 X30 with the 450 horse 8.1.

I highly recommend Team talk and the folks that make it happen. Any future newbies need only read this thread to understand the real value.
                              Congrats...enjoy the HP!

Les Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by MYMC
                                Congrats...enjoy the HP!

and the gas pump
                                WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                                X