What's behind the decal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's behind the decal?

Part of my side decals are peeling off and I am tempted to just peel the entire thing off. Does anyone know what the gel coat does behind the big decal? It looks like the black comes down in an oval shape...which scares me because that'd look silly if i took the decal off. however, if it was straight to match the front and back, i'd peel it all off.

from what i can tell, the black background behind the XSTAR is the black gel. anyone know for sure? it is a 1999

Comment

Comment

Comment

which one do you all think it is?

Comment

last one..
            ITCHIN' TO SKI, LET'S GO!!
            Former Boat: 1985 MasterCraft Skier, Stars and Stripes
            351W with PowerSlot and Perfect Pass
            Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.

Comment

Last one. Seconded.

Whatever color it is, it'll probably shine like brand new. If the rest of your gel coat has had any noticeable fade over the years, the spot might stand out. Probably nothing a little polishing would fix.

This is at least what I found when I replaced the woodgrain decal on my old jeep. Brand new 18 year old paint job.
              Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

East TX is right, be ready to polish. I recently replaced my transom and rear quarter decals and realized that my beautiful, unfaded gel coat had, in fact, faded. Had to buff the whole boat to make it match. There is still a bit of a shadow when the light hits it just right/wrong.
                skibrink - '97 PS 205

Comment

Defineitely like post #3. I had a 2000 X-Star and had to remove the decal and am 100% positive on this one!!

Comment

Lassy,
                    If the scheme holds true from a buddy's former '99(?) X-star, the black is actually gel...so option #1 of your photoshops. His was a burgundy and if you look real hard you could see the gel witness line thru the sticker. I'd say get it in bright sunshine and look real hard. Also, you should be able to feel the ends of the sticker to see where it ends?
                    Paul
                    Attached Files
                    2002 MasterCraft X10
                    2004 MasterCraft Prostar 205v 'Wakeboard Edition'
                    2018 MasterCraft XT20 50th Anny

Comment

well i looked at it again last night and i'm almost 98% positive that the black gel comes down in an oval shape...like the second picture. the black background behind the XSTAR isn't a sticker....and that black dips down below the straight line of the black/white.

would a 2000 hull be different from a 1999? i wouldn't think so but i've been wrong before

Comment

ah yes!! thanks paul....i believe mine is the same way.

so my next question is how much are new decals?

Comment

I ordered mine from [email protected] I think they were around $100 per side. Call Jim for the most current pricing.

Comment

Hi Lassy
                            I know this is three years later. I am doing a restoration project on exactly the same boat.
                            The oval is also in the gelcoat. Could you let me know where you got replacement decals.
                            Also could you snap some pics of your brake setup. Mine is totally busted

Comment

Working...
                            X