Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about 04 X-star

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/6/88910746.htm

I found the above boat on boat trader online and am really considering making an offer. But I was kind of thinking the price was a little low? Is it? I have a few other boats that I am looking at in the same price range (that I cannot put on here as they are not MC's...but if you can send me an email at [email protected] I'll send you the links as I would like to have some input from a knowledgable person).

What do you think about the boat. I've tried contacting the seller two days no via internet so I'm going to call the million different numbers they have listed tomorrow. I'll be in TX the next three weekends and am going to try and stop by and look at it and possibly test drive it.

Also, my friend told me to go ahead and wait another two months for prices to drop. You dealership guys (or others), do the prices really drop dramatically when winter sets in or is it an urban myth?

Thanks a million.
    Live Fast...Die Fun

310hp engine is one of the main reasons for the lower price......just not enough power for that boat.
    sigpicwww.boathouseh2o.com

Comment

310 plus 04 xstar is a bastard-try to fold the tower and you will see why.
      Last edited by duckguy; 09-20-2007, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by erkoehler
        310hp engine is one of the main reasons for the lower price......just not enough power for that boat.

Couldn't he reprop it with one of the new 14.25 props and be ok?

Comment

You probably could prop it with the new OJ XMP edge prop. But depending on your lake elevation.....
          Price is low because of motor. I have X-Star with 450 hp motor. Im at high elevation, but I cant even imagine only having 310 HP. Your resale value would be HORRIBLE Hence the low price right now!
          Pass on this one!

Comment

hmmmm.......

just out of curiosity, how much would this boat be worth with a bigger engine?

Now, how much would it cost for a bigger engine from Indmar? Is it just a drop in replacement or do motor mounts and other things need to be changed? MCU?

Just trying to think out loud here for our fellow TT'er whose been without a boat for awhile

Do those numbers work?

Comment

further to Beatle's thoughts.....

Engine swap would be pricey. What aftermarket mods could you make to bump HP? Maybe not so complicated as a supercharger. Polished exhaust manifolds? After that take a look at propping.

There are many XStars with MCX, and I've seen lots of commentary that the low end torque on the 310 and MCX very similar, it's in the higher rpm ranges that you find a difference.

Am I all wet?

Either way, if you intend to keep for a year or few, you would still have this resale problem even if you were happy with the boat. If you want a boat for the long haul, evaluate the cost of "modifications" + attractive price.....

Comment

Even if you modify the engine to make more power, when you resell it the engine is still the 310hp engine. Your going to loose whatever money you put into it.
                sigpicwww.boathouseh2o.com

Comment

hmmm...so if I were to find this boat with the bigger engine how much would it cost? I really like the fork nose on this boat. Is the 310 hp really that bad? I had a Prostar 205 that had only 280 hp and it felt like it did fine.
                  Live Fast...Die Fun

Comment

This boat with a mcx would probably list 45-50k

Comment

Even with the 310, it seems like a great deal. I mean look at this... the same boat for $61k(http://www.tmcowners.com/market/show...uct=1525&cat=6)... seems like for $23k, you could throw an LQ-9 in the boat and still be ahead!!
                      Last edited by Sodar; 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM.
                      -Cameron
                      2007 ProStar 197
                      1996 ProStar 190

Comment

an engine is $15k extra? I think I could live with the 310hp for the price. I'm not pulling fatty's out of the water. Just me and my buck-fifty friends.

P.S. I finally got a hold of the dealer and it is sold. Got a couple of VLX's and SSV's I'm looking at now.
                        Live Fast...Die Fun

Comment

Check the hours on the boat also. It could have high hours.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeauty02
                            hmmm...so if I were to find this boat with the bigger engine how much would it cost? I really like the fork nose on this boat. Is the 310 hp really that bad? I had a Prostar 205 that had only 280 hp and it felt like it did fine.
                            first, what is your operating elevation ... second, do a search on the L-18 or 8.1 ... usually when it is cold as hell in the wintertime we start a thread about how usesless small engines are in big boats ... but if you want the cliffs notes version, at 2062 ft of elevation with an 04 X-star I wouldn't want any smaller engine ... but hey, there is a prom date for everyone ... just leave the little engines for the little boats ...
                            Attached Files
                            At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

8.1L engine is a $12k option........

Comment

Working...
                              X