Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mastercraft Hull Warranty??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by beatle78
    That SUCKS!

    I'm soooooooooo dissapointed in Mastercraft right now. There were a lot of blisters that appeared over the summer that I didn't notice until I pulled the boat out of the water this weekend!!!!

    Def not something I would expect from one of the best boat manufacturer's out there.
    Blistering gelcoat is definitely not unique to MasterCraft, and none of the other boat mfgrs warranty cover blistering either. And they did warn you not to keep it in the water without a barrier bottom paint.
    '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by bigmac
      Blistering gelcoat is definitely not unique to MasterCraft, and none of the other boat mfgrs warranty cover blistering either. And they did warn you not to keep it in the water without a barrier bottom paint.
      bigmac, where you are from maybe blistering is a problem but not up here where I live.

      I never had a problem with my BU and in all honesty, I've never had a boat that blistered. My neighbor had a 92 MC and NEVER had a problem with blistering. He never even waxed the hull(no paint either).

      My uncles 15 year old Regal looks as good as the day he bought it.

      All these boats sit in the water 100% of the time in the summer.

      In my opinion, this is a def a quality issue.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by beatle78
        bigmac, where you are from maybe blistering is a problem but not up here where I live.

        I never had a problem with my BU and in all honesty, I've never had a boat that blistered. My neighbor had a 92 MC and NEVER had a problem with blistering. He never even waxed the hull(no paint either).

        My uncles 15 year old Regal looks as good as the day he bought it.

        All these boats sit in the water 100% of the time in the summer.

        In my opinion, this is a def a quality issue.
        There's a thread on the Malibu forums right now from some guy whose Malibu has blistered. I've seen other such there as well.

        Google "boat gelcoat blistering" or some such. You'll see it's a broad-based problem for all fiberglass boats.

        I think it's a quality problem too, just certainly not unique to MasterCraft. The problem appears to be the quality of current gelcoat formulations, as you no doubt discovered in your Google search. Fiberglass boats became popular in the 50's. Blistering was never a problem until about the mid-70's, when the older method and formula got too expensive. I have no doubt that fiberglass boat mfgr's could make an impervious gelcoat and eliminate the problem, but it would apparently be too expensive.
        Last edited by bigmac; 11-05-2007, 11:57 AM.
        '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

        Comment


        • #19
          This IS NOT a qaulity issue. This is a CHEMISTY and PHYSICS issue. MC does a very very good job of stopping blisters by adding a barrier coat between the gelcoat and the fiberglass. It very clearly states in your manuel about leaving your boat in the water for extended periods of time. Gelcoat is a permaible surface. Water can go thorough gelcoat and cause osmotic (sp) blistering on your boat or any boat for that matter. I understand your anger...but it is not MC's fault

          [email protected]


          Originally posted by beatle78
          That SUCKS!

          I'm soooooooooo dissapointed in Mastercraft right now. There were a lot of blisters that appeared over the summer that I didn't notice until I pulled the boat out of the water this weekend!!!!

          Def not something I would expect from one of the best boat manufacturer's out there.
          James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
          Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

          www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
          (813) 996-BAWS (2297)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by [email protected]
            This IS NOT a qaulity issue. This is a CHEMISTY and PHYSICS issue. MC does a very very good job of stopping blisters by adding a barrier coat between the gelcoat and the fiberglass. It very clearly states in your manuel about leaving your boat in the water for extended periods of time. Gelcoat is a permaible surface. Water can go thorough gelcoat and cause osmotic (sp) blistering on your boat or any boat for that matter. I understand your anger...but it is not MC's fault

            [email protected]
            Jim,

            I understand there is a "statement" that says not to leave it in the water, but that seems more like a CYA to me to cover for quality issues.

            It seems like only a "small" percentage of boats do it.

            Case: Out of the dozens of boats that I have been around my entire life, I've never seen any blister as severely as my boat. At most I saw an occasional blister or 2. Most boat hulls had ZERO blisters after years of sitting in the water.

            Just because people ran to the internet to express their dissapointment (like myself), it doesn't mean it's a common problem. It means the small % of us that were unfortunate enough to have it happen to are pretty upset and inquired/vented about the problem to fellow boaters.

            I think I was unfortunate enough to get a boat where the gel coat quality was not as good as the majority of MC boats and most other boat brands.

            Comment


            • #21
              Everything that I have seen has a CYA clause on it. I do not drink the MC Coolaide all day long. But in this case having owned NEW MC's since 1988. I lean towards MC because I have always been told NOT TO LEAVE the boat in water for extended periods of time. I tell my customers the same thing.

              I know that this does not help your case very much. But has has been stated before. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BOAT IN THE WATER

              [email protected]



              Originally posted by beatle78
              Jim,

              I understand there is a "statement" that says not to leave it in the water, but that seems more like a CYA to me to cover for quality issues.

              It seems like only a "small" percentage of boats do it.
              James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
              Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

              www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
              (813) 996-BAWS (2297)

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by [email protected]
                I lean towards MC because I have always been told NOT TO LEAVE the boat in water for extended periods of time. I tell my customers the same thing.
                I know that this does not help your case very much. But has has been stated before. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BOAT IN THE WATER

                [email protected]
                Isn't this just common knowledge?

                I mean why do you think there is such a large support market for bottom coatings? I wouldn't think people would go to such a trouble to protect the bottom of the boat if gel coat was not porous. Did you really think MC had some type of special, exclusive gelcoat or application process that one one else in industry had yet discovered.

                Let's face it things are not made the way they used to be simply because of OSHA and the EPA......and thank god for that, remember lead paint, leaded fuel, etc......
                05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
                15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

                Comment


                • #23
                  Beatle78,
                  There is a owner here on TT, who, back in the early Spring told that they were going to leave their boat in the water 24/7 this Summer and the same blistering potential was discussed, along with the warranty and NO warranty issue and was warned of the impending danger, yet the owner stated that he would leave it in the water anyway, bla, bla, bla, and he would deal with it then. I forgot to write down that owners screen name back then, because I thought of the "what if", really happens.
                  I am trying to find those posts/the thread. I hope it wasn't you!
                  Charter Member Number 1

                  Quote: 2RLAKE,
                  At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Diesel
                    Isn't this just common knowledge?

                    I mean why do you think there is such a large support market for bottom coatings? I wouldn't think people would go to such a trouble to protect the bottom of the boat if gel coat was not porous. Did you really think MC had some type of special, exclusive gelcoat or application process that one one else in industry had yet discovered.

                    Let's face it things are not made the way they used to be simply because of OSHA and the EPA......and thank god for that, remember lead paint, leaded fuel, etc......
                    No this isn't common knowledge. Not 1 person I know of puts anything on their hull, except wax, and all our boats stay in the water all season long.

                    So what can you do about blisters? Have someone sand it down and re-gel coat it? That sounds pricey.

                    hehe, guys if you listen to what you're saying, "you can buy a boat but don't let it float all the time it's not made for it"........

                    That's pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

                    Moot point now. The damage is done.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by TMCNo1
                      Beatle78,
                      There is a owner here on TT, who, back in the early Spring told that they were going to leave their boat in the water 24/7 this Summer and the same blistering potential was discussed, along with the warranty and NO warranty issue and was warned of the impending danger, yet the owner stated that he would leave it in the water anyway, bla, bla, bla, and he would deal with it then. I forgot to write down that owners screen name back then, because I thought of the "what if", really happens.
                      I am trying to find those posts/the thread. I hope it wasn't you!
                      nope, wasn't me. Besides, my boat doesn't stay in the water all the time. We're frozen for several months of the year up here in NE. The boat is out of the water from November to April. That's 1/2 the year.

                      24/7 means something different to the southern people who can leave there boat in the water 24/7 365.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by beatle78
                        hehe, guys if you listen to what you're saying, "you can buy a boat but don't let it float all the time it's not made for it"........

                        That's pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
                        Eh, I think that this one rivals... "It should be stamped on the boat somewhere."
                        Last edited by Sodar; 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM. Reason: Beatle's Cute Little Names!
                        -Cameron
                        2007 ProStar 197
                        1996 ProStar 190

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by beatle78
                          hehe, guys if you listen to what you're saying, "you can buy a boat but don't let it float all the time it's not made for it"........

                          That's pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

                          Moot point now. The damage is done.
                          Don't confuse the issue here.........the boat will continue to float and perform as designed the only damage here is cosmetic.

                          Do you get upset with GM when a hail storm blows in and dents the hell out of your truck because you left it out?
                          05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
                          15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Its a lot of money to get it reworked. I have heard of prices of $ 4 to 5 K to have the bottom redone.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Gel coats blister when exposed to water for long periods of time. During the summer (at our camp) I store my 2006 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO jetski out of the water, on the trailer with a factory cover. Some water gets through the cover and sits in the foot wells. The foot wells are blistered and Yamaha says "tough luck - keep the water out of there and it will not blister."

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Diesel
                                Don't confuse the issue here.........the boat will continue to float and perform as designed the only damage here is cosmetic.

                                Do you get upset with GM when a hail storm blows in and dents the hell out of your truck because you left it out?

                                I agree, I love my boat, and I'll still have as much fun in/behind it. I'm just dissapointed that it's tainted.

                                I'm not saying it's not my fault for not reading pg 135 section 8 paragraph a line 3, but up in here in NE it's not common knowledge. Not a single person or dealership has ever mentioned it to me.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X