Mastercraft Hull Warranty??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beatle78
    No this isn't common knowledge. Not 1 person I know of puts anything on their hull, except wax, and all our boats stay in the water all season long.

NOT common knowledge? It's right in your frickin' owner's manual, and has been since 1981.
    Attached Files
    '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel
      Don't confuse the issue here.........the boat will continue to float and perform as designed the only damage here is cosmetic.
      Not so fast my friend...osmosis blistering can cause serious damage especially if the water is allowed to freeze.

Time to repair is based on how long it takes the hull to dry out...I have had it take a year before (bad case). The total for the bottom repairs was in excess of $18,000. Once the gel is blistered the water will go into the glass and then the fun (and cost) adds up quick.
      "You do realize that a nutless monkey could do your job"

Les Grossman

Comment

I had an 87 Sea Ray (blisters not mentioned in owners manual) that stayed in the water for 7 years straight almost. Never a blister. Was looking at their new boats before buying the MC and they offer a five year warranty on osmotic blisters in their hull.

I read my new MC owners manual and was thinking wow, didn't know MC has this issue, enough so that they list it in the owners manual and no warranty........

Sea Ray half the cost of an MC yet had a five year warranty specifically on osmotic blistering? Made me wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac
          NOT common knowledge? It's right in your frickin' owner's manual, and has been since 1981.

sorry, if I didn't retain 100% of what's in my owners manual. Apparently, I'm not as intelligent as you and dietSodar.

I thought this website was to ask questions, and try to further my knowledge of my MC. Which, in my opinion, I did in a reasonable fashion.

But apparently you feel that TT's forum is only to show off what knowledge I have, and bash others when they don't know as much as me. At least from the perspective of you & sodarpop.

I never said MC is not reputable and I should go with another company. In fact I am very happy with all the other aspects of my boat. I would buy another MC if I was in the market for another.

I'm glad there are only a few people like you on this forum, as the other 99% are very helpful and constructive.

And I'm the one whose sleep deprived with a 7 day old baby at home.

Comment

Originally posted by MYMC
            Not so fast my friend...osmosis blistering can cause serious damage especially if the water is allowed to freeze.

Time to repair is based on how long it takes the hull to dry out...I have had it take a year before (bad case). The total for the bottom repairs was in excess of $18,000. Once the gel is blistered the water will go into the glass and then the fun (and cost) adds up quick.
            So my boat could basically be destroyed now?

For something that is this important, I only wish that someone, a dealer, had mentioned something to me. It should be stamped on the boat somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Roonie's
              I had an 87 Sea Ray (blisters not mentioned in owners manual) that stayed in the water for 7 years straight almost. Never a blister. Was looking at their new boats before buying the MC and they offer a five year warranty on osmotic blisters in their hull.

I read my new MC owners manual and was thinking wow, didn't know MC has this issue, enough so that they list it in the owners manual and no warranty........

Sea Ray half the cost of an MC yet had a five year warranty specifically on osmotic blistering? Made me wonder.
              MC has what issue? Osmotic blistering is a fiberglass boat issue...it has nothing to do with who built the boat.

Les Grossman

Comment

Take it to a good glass guy to get a price, might not be as costly as you think. The glass guy might be slow this winter and give you a deal.
                I feel for you beatle, not fun to go through.

Comment

So my boat could basically be destroyed now?

For something that is this important, I only wish that someone, a dealer, had mentioned something to me. It should be stamped on the boat somewhere.
                  Get it looked at as soon as possible...DO NOT LET IT FREEZE. Since none of us here can speak for the factory I think we all should refrain from telling you what is covered and what isn’t…beyond what is printed is “goodwill” and MC makes their own decisions.

Take your boat to your dealer and let them document the issue and then forward the information to MC warranty for an official decision. I would also contact Greg Clower so he can be involved. I make no promises but there is a right way to do this and trying your case in the court of public opinion would not be my choice as the best route to follow. No need to panic, get some answers from the people actually charged with making decisions.

Les Grossman

Comment

I'm not saying it's not my fault for not reading pg 135 section 8 paragraph a line 3, but up in here in NE it's not common knowledge. Not a single person or dealership has ever mentioned it to me.
                    I find it hard to believe there is not a single boat in your area that does not have bottom paint or a single dealership that does not offer the service. Just about every boat in our marina is either bottom painted or on a lift.

I guess I have just always known better and assumed most people knew the same..........however I am constantly amazed every time someone posts up about a killer deal on an ebay boat and they still have to ask everyone here if it's a scam.

It really does suck and I feel for you. I wish you the best and hope you can get it fixed properly.

BTW here is a great read/insight into blisters...
                    05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
                    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

FYI I never even heard of gel coat blisters until I read my 07 MC owners manual.

I guess I am not in the know as well.

Comment

It is a very common thing to hear about with large boats, particuarly sail boats where the quality of the fiberglass can really change how smooth the hull is.

The issue with bottom paint is that it often causes the boat to depreciate due to it.

The other peice that isn't good news. How to deal with hull blisters changes very frequently, should they be ground out? peirced? should an epoxy paint be used to seal the hull? should the hull just be allowed to dry out?

The reasoning changes frequently but the problem is the same.

And its not that MC has a faulty product it is that all gel coat is ordered from a manufacturer, and all of it has the potential to do this no matter how carefully it is laid up.

Not much you can really do to ensure it doesn't happen, some people have experienced blisters on boats that are stored on lifts just do to moisture in the bunk carpeting.

If its an isolated thing best to deal with it now and get the hull dried and sealed.

Comment

sorry, if I didn't retain 100% of what's in my owners manual. Apparently, I'm not as intelligent as you and dietSodar.

I thought this website was to ask questions, and try to further my knowledge of my MC. Which, in my opinion, I did in a reasonable fashion.

But apparently you feel that TT's forum is only to show off what knowledge I have, and bash others when they don't know as much as me. At least from the perspective of you & sodarpop.

I never said MC is not reputable and I should go with another company. In fact I am very happy with all the other aspects of my boat. I would buy another MC if I was in the market for another.

I'm glad there are only a few people like you on this forum, as the other 99% are very helpful and constructive.

And I'm the one whose sleep deprived with a 7 day old baby at home.
                          ...I'll just have to live with your opinion, I guess.

But...I am sorry about your boat. Really.
                          '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Bea - I have the same problem on my 2001. sucks big time. I also wish someone would have said something. There are 3 boats at my dock, and all have been floating for MANY summers (8+?) down the way there are 2 SN's that have been floating since the 80's), and none have bottom paint or blisters. I put my 190 in for 2 months and it 's covered in them. (I bought it from an MC dealer 4 years old)

Basically you are out of luck with help from MC, they stick with their warranty statement. According to the factory MC rep I talked to, small blisters are NOT an immediate structural problem on a boat this size that is used for skiing type purposes. Repair if youd like to. yes they will get worse, and yes they get harder to repair the longer you wait. My estimates were around $8,000 to fix the entire bottom around the edges to the water line.

My boat is still in the water, it is worse than 2 years ago, and i do plan to get it fixed within a year or two.

I am not an expert, but have talked to many of them.
                            Drop me a PM if you'd like. I added to a thread about this a year ago, and am still getting PMs about it.

Comment

Originally posted by agua4fun
                              Bea - I have the same problem on my 2001. sucks big time. I also wish someone would have said something. There are 3 boats at my dock, and all have been floating for MANY summers (8+?) down the way there are 2 SN's that have been floating since the 80's), and none have bottom paint or blisters. I put my 190 in for 2 months and it 's covered in them. (I bought it from an MC dealer 4 years old)

Basically you are out of luck with help from MC, they stick with their warranty statement. According to the factory MC rep I talked to, small blisters are NOT an immediate structural problem on a boat this size that is used for skiing type purposes. Repair if youd like to. yes they will get worse, and yes they get harder to repair the longer you wait. My estimates were around $8,000 to fix the entire bottom around the edges to the water line.

My boat is still in the water, it is worse than 2 years ago, and i do plan to get it fixed within a year or two.

I am not an expert, but have talked to many of them.
                              Drop me a PM if you'd like. I added to a thread about this a year ago, and am still getting PMs about it.
                              How about freezing? MYMC said that if they freeze we could be in for a world of hurt!!!!

I talked with many boat owners last night and none of them have ever had problems with blisters, from older MCs to Regals, to Chaparral's. You name it. All of which kept them in the water.

So yours is a 2001 also? Interesting.

Comment

It looks like my insurance might cover it. Here's a snapshot of the policy.

Coverage includes:

* Stated Value for your hull, which means we will not depreciate it over time. And, if you have a total loss, we even waive your deductible.

other companies only offer ACV (actual cash value) policies that give you only the boat's book value at the time of loss. Read your current policy and see for yourself. Are you paying more, but getting less?

* Replacement Cost for 30 months on new crafts up to $100,000.

* Uninsured Boaters Liability insurance is included.
                                * $10,000 for medical payments.
                                * Watersports liability coverage (waterskiing, wakeboarding, etc). Most of our competitors either exclude this coverage or offer lower limits and charge an additional premium.
                                * Towing and roadside assistance standard at $600 ($1,000 for yachts).
                                * Disappearing deductible available.

What's Covered

* Fire, theft, collision, vandalism, storm damage, hitting a submerged object, and any other accidental damage to your craft, whether it's in or out of the water.
                                * Your trailer can be covered for physical damage too.
                                * We cover you up to the policy limits for your legal liability if someone is injured or property is damaged. Our combined single limit means that you can use as much as you need, where you need it.
                                * No exclusion for latent defects!

Comment

Working...
                                X