No announcement yet.

Mastercraft Hull Warranty??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep us posted and who is the insurance with? It will be interesting if they feel blistering is a latent defect or a property of gel coat
    06 AWSA Approved Towboat

Comment

I had a 1994 Glastron which float on the water for about four months every season for three years and never has blisters, so is my neighbor Fourwinns deck boat. So now I have to worry about blisters with my 2005 Mastercraft. Just to show that paying a lot of money for a boat doesn't always mean you get a better quality, it is just the name that you are paying for. All boats company are buying their material from some of the same supplier.

I hope every thing will work out for you Beatle, I would feel the same way, if it was my boat. Take care.

Comment

Wow, I can't believe I actually read five pages of this crap.

Beatle- You neglected your boat all season and now your pissed because it shows signs of neglect?

I don't get it. I left my boat in the water overnight once in three years. Before I had a lift it sat on the trailer in the garage. Why? Because I paid over 50K for the thing and the last thing I would ever dream of is letting it sit in the water like some old fishing boat. I stand by the "if you treat your stuff like ****, it's pretty much gonna look like ****"..

While your situation is not necessarily common I would think another common, as in common sense would tell you if you leave it in the water all year at the very minimun you will have several hours of hull cleaning in your future. You making the assumption it should hold up fine is a risky one. One in which I will never take for granted.

By now you will have added me to your list along with BigMac but the truth be told you are responsible for your boats condition and blaming MC because of your obvious neglect is, well I am sorry but that's your problem.

I feel for you none the less but just about the 7 day old baby not the boat, congrats on the birth....

Steve

Comment

That's it. Now you're on the list too!
          '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Originally posted by beatle78
            It looks like my insurance might cover it. Here's a snapshot of the policy.

Coverage includes:

* Stated Value for your hull, which means we will not depreciate it over time. And, if you have a total loss, we even waive your deductible.

other companies only offer ACV (actual cash value) policies that give you only the boat's book value at the time of loss. Read your current policy and see for yourself. Are you paying more, but getting less?

* Replacement Cost for 30 months on new crafts up to $100,000.

* Uninsured Boaters Liability insurance is included.
            * $10,000 for medical payments.
            * Watersports liability coverage (waterskiing, wakeboarding, etc). Most of our competitors either exclude this coverage or offer lower limits and charge an additional premium.
            * Towing and roadside assistance standard at $600 ($1,000 for yachts).
            * Disappearing deductible available.

What's Covered

* Fire, theft, collision, vandalism, storm damage, hitting a submerged object, and any other accidental damage to your craft, whether it's in or out of the water.
            * Your trailer can be covered for physical damage too.
            * We cover you up to the policy limits for your legal liability if someone is injured or property is damaged. Our combined single limit means that you can use as much as you need, where you need it.
            * No exclusion for latent defects!

Beatle that sounds like an overview (pamphlet)... Read the exclusions in the policy.. Damage occuring over extended time and neglect are excluded...

Just FYI.. If they do cover it I will be happy for you, but I see no need to bash MC for your neglect.. If I paid the amount of $$ you paid for your MC I'd be darned sure to read the entire owners manual SEVERAL times......

I would like to see their definition of "latent defects"

Comment

Originally posted by monte72
              Beatle that sounds like an overview (pamphlet)... Read the exclusions in the policy.. Damage occuring over extended time and neglect are excluded...

Just FYI.. If they do cover it I will be happy for you, but I see no need to bash MC for your neglect.. If I paid the amount of $$ you paid for your MC I'd be darned sure to read the entire owners manual SEVERAL times......

I would like to see their definition of "latent defects"
              Naturally the insurance company will interpret things in its favor, but there's a lot of stuff on the internet that opines that gelcoat blistering is a quality issue. I think a pretty good case could be made for it being a "latent defect", but of course if the insurance company say "NO" then the only recourse would be getting a lawyer to take somebody to court...likely would cost more than just getting the bottom repaired and then expoxied.

http://www.daveandangel.com/Boats/Boat_Blistering.html

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...oat_repair.htm

http://www.diybob.com/HotBlister.htm

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moreonblisters.html.htm
              Last edited by bigmac; 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM.
              '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac
                Naturally the insurance company will interpret things in its favor, but there's a lot of stuff on the internet that opines that gelcoat blistering is a quality issue. I think a pretty good case could be made for it being a "latent defect", but of course if the insurance company say "NO" then the only recourse would be getting a lawyer to take somebody to court...likely would cost more than just getting the bottom repaired and then expoxied.

http://www.daveandangel.com/Boats/Boat_Blistering.html

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...oat_repair.htm

http://www.diybob.com/HotBlister.htm

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moreonblisters.html.htm

A lot of times we pay claims rather than the cost of defense/ denial of a claim.. Just comes out cheaper that way..

Comment

The funny thing is they origianlly made fiberglass boats for ease of maintenance.

Who would have thunk it a boat isn't supposed to be in the water for stretches at a time. I guess I need to find other uses for it now. The kids use it as a play fort currently (damn expensive play fort).

Most opinions or articles I have read about it have said it is a quality issue.

Comment

I suppose that growing up in a saltwater environment, I always knew that some type of bottom coating was neccessary. Beyond the blister issue, don't weeds, slime and other stuff grow on the boat... even in freshwater?
                    -Cameron
                    2007 ProStar 197
                    1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Originally posted by SodarSki73
                      I suppose that growing up in a saltwater environment, I always knew that some type of bottom coating was neccessary. Beyond the blister issue, don't weeds, slime and other stuff grow on the boat... even in freshwater?

Yes they do. Like crazy around here too.

Comment

Weeds and slime, even iron oxide staining (this is the Minnesota Iron Range, after all) don't bother me -- that stuff comes right off with some muriatic acid. Blistering -- that bothers me....my boat never sits in the water for extended periods. If it did, it would have an epoxy barrier coat.
                        '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Weeds and slime, even iron oxide staining (this is the Minnesota Iron Range, after all) don't bother me -- that stuff comes right off with some muriatic acid. Blistering -- that bothers me....my boat never sits in the water for extended periods. If it did, it would have an epoxy barrier coat.
                          Were just a couple of jerks though

Comment

Beatle,

I only knew about the blistering from reading past posts here on the forum. I didn't see it in the manual either. Sucks that it happens and happened to you.

Congrats on the new baby, too.

Edit: It did happen in the first year to a small runabout we bought in the late 80's. I just didn't know exactly what caused it until I read about it here.
                            Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE
                              Beatle,

I only knew about the blistering from reading past posts here on the forum. I didn't see it in the manual either. Sucks that it happens and happened to you.

Congrats on the new baby, too.

Edit: It did happen in the first year to a small runabout we bought in the late 80's. I just didn't know exactly what caused it until I read about it here.
                              Thanks John. Unfortunately, I never read it here on the forum and the 50 other boats I've involved with throughout the 28 years I've been alive have never blistered and have never been bottom painted.

Comment

I agree the weeds and slime have never bothered me either. I just do a GOOD hull cleaning at the end of each year. Me and 99% of the rest of the people that live on the small lakes up here in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Working...
                                X