No announcement yet.

Wakeboarding Wake of 1991 TriStar 220?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakeboarding Wake of 1991 TriStar 220?

I've searched the forums a good while with out any luck on this. I have a 91 TriStar 220 with a 351 that I use for wakeboarding. The wake of the boat has constant white wash at the top of the wake and the slope of it is pretty mellow. Is there anything that can be done about getting rid of the white wash on the top of each wake or is this something that can't be solved because of the ski platform being built into the hull? I usually ride with a fat seat in the back (9-1100 lbs) and 300 lbs or so up front in the open bow part. The wakes break at the top and have white wash even without any ballast and the ballast does nothing to help clear this up. Does any one have any suggestions? Would a different prop do anything to change this? I know it would probably help with hole shot but I don't know about wake shape or white wash. It has the original prop on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CALLING MONTE!

Our buddy Monte here has a Tristar 220 and says it throws a great wake. I'm not much of a boarder and haven't been behind it though.
    Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Hey JohnE. Thanks for the response. Yeah I seem to be okay doing most tricks off of the wake. The white wash and wakes breaking at the top make it difficult to transition over the wake because of the wash going over the board and binding and it also makes it much more challenging for taking off on tricks. It just feels like the white wash kinda stops your momentum and I don't get as crisp of a wake or as good of a pop as other boats I've been riding behind.

Comment

Originally posted by TriStar 220 View Post
        Hey JohnE. Thanks for the response. Yeah I seem to be okay doing most tricks off of the wake. The white wash and wakes breaking at the top make it difficult to transition over the wake because of the wash going over the board and binding and it also makes it much more challenging for taking off on tricks. It just feels like the white wash kinda stops your momentum and I don't get as crisp of a wake or as good of a pop as other boats I've been riding behind.
        Hey Tristar, you're probably a much better boarder than Monte! I'm more of a slalom guy, so someone else is going to need to comment.
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I have rode behind EL MONTE'S "The Tri-Star" ..........
          I can say this his wake is soft at the top however not bad. As for the white wash........... I would bump up your speed to at least 22mph this should help. Also I know Monte had 1 bag in the back and I think that helps!!!!!

Comment

Thanks JohnE and KnoxX2. My sister uses the boat for slalom and has always loved it. Yeah I usually ride at 22mph but the white wash exists at pretty much any speed with or without ballast. I've got the back pretty much weighted as much as I can with the fly high fat seat. I might try putting a little more weight up front or maybe some on the sides. I wonder if it has anything to do with the year model of the boat. I've seen wakes of older 89 or 90 tristar 220's browsing around on the forums here and the internet and they looked clean on the top of the wake.

Comment

I don't know what to tell you.

"MONTE"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No worries. Thank you guys. I appreciate the response either way. I'll wait and hope Monte or others can chime in. I should've posted this to start but I'm going to try and post a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. Boat speed in the pic is 22mph and you can kind of see how there is a small lip that folds over at the top of the wakes and makes for some white wash/break. Hopefully the image will display ok before as I've never posted an image in a thread before.

Comment

Welcome to the boards Tristar.. I think with the hull design the absolute fastest you can go for a decent wake size is @21 mph. I run about 500lbs in the back directly in the middle.. You might see an improvement by shortening the line by a foot or two. Believe me, those couple feet make a big difference. It is not X boat calibre, but I get a good ft 1/2 -2 ft... 64 feet back.. I run a 14 X 20 prop

Comment

Hey Monte. Thank you for the welcome and the tips as well. I think I ride with the rope tied off at 55 feet and then plus whatever the handle length is 4 or 5 ft maybe so I'm probably pretty close to where you ride as well. I might try and let the rope out another section to 60 feet and see how that works for me. I seem to be pretty comfortable around 21 or 22 and that's probably about the slowest I can go because I'm a pretty big guy 6'4" and 215 and I pull on the boat a pretty significant amount and displace a lot of water too.

Comment

How many in your crew? You can play with the weight some and move people around to see what works best! Just a thought!!!!

Comment

All I can recommend then is to add people until you get the perfect weight.. Move them around frequently. Just dont ask any self concious women on that day. You'll have to ask weights then replace them and their positions with ballast.(its all I got)

Darn u knox

Comment

Originally posted by Monte View Post
                          All I can recommend then is to add people until you get the perfect weight.. Move them around frequently. Just dont ask any self concious women on that day. You'll have to ask weights then replace them and their positions with ballast.(its all I got)
                          That aint much

Comment

Originally posted by KnoxX2 View Post
                            That aint much
                            See the edit

Comment

Beat you to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X