Replace Engine and Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Engine and Transmission

I have 1100 hours on my X46 with Ilmor 6.0 and thinking about replacing the engine and transmission. The thought is to avoid failure during the short 2022 season we get in CT. Anyone gone thru the process? Any Do's, Don'ts and guidance is appreciated.

Originally posted by MCX46 View Post
    I have 1100 hours on my X46 with Ilmor 6.0 and thinking about replacing the engine and transmission. The thought is to avoid failure during the short 2022 season we get in CT. Anyone gone thru the process? Any Do's, Don'ts and guidance is appreciated.
    You should easily get another 1100 hours out of the engine but that is not my call. That is a big expense with other options available aside from replacement. Is there salt use to the engine involved with your considerations?
    93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

Yes, its a saltwater boat. Ilmor mentioned the same that it should last but I had warranty work done at the factory a while back and they winterized the boat. My dealer did not do a once over when it was returned so the engine overheated since there was no plug in the heat exchanger. Now it burns some antifreeze and she is lagging but otherwise runs well.

Comment

Originally posted by MCX46 View Post
        Yes, its a saltwater boat. Ilmor mentioned the same that it should last but I had warranty work done at the factory a while back and they winterized the boat. My dealer did not do a once over when it was returned so the engine overheated since there was no plug in the heat exchanger. Now it burns some antifreeze and she is lagging but otherwise runs well.
        Got it. I am an old school engine guy so I don't have a lot of insight but some fellows here can help out. Best on the work and I now can see your train of thought.
        93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

That ***, too bad no recourse with dealer. Not a fun proposition... maybe an engine rebuilder can find the problem and rebuild for lots less.
          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

These engines run relatively cool does anyone know what temp the alarm comes on at? you may just have air in the system. You can pressure test the coolant system, and check for exhaust gases in coolant to see if you have a cracked head or gasket. If they both don't show anything I would operate as is. What do you mean it's laggy?
            2014 x46

Comment

If your season is short I would take the gamble and just run it. 1100 hours is nothing

Comment

I say laggy but maybe should have said tired coming out of the hole. Also get constant white smoke from exhaust and green staining on transom.
                I have found in my area trying to trouble shoot adds up to not as cost effective as one would hope. It also means something else will probably fail.
                I like the idea of gambling for another year financially but short season usage value is pretty pricey too. Also engines could be 2x the price in a year the way things are going.

Comment

Sounds like a head gasket with white smoke and green stain at exhaust

Comment

Working...
                  X