Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Rex
    replied
    Of all the factory options...aftermarket retro, the battery charger is the cheapest and easiest. Buy a ProMariner charger and a plug kit if you want, and with 10 minutes of work you are in business.

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    Originally posted by tenmile View Post

It’s the factory dual battery switch/VSR setup. When the charger is plugged in, the VSR light showing it’s passing current through is in which is what sparked my curiosity about using a single bank charger vs two…
    Then the factory wired it in a less then ideal configuration, with the VSR on the battery side of the switch.

Leave a comment:

• tenmile
    replied
    Originally posted by MLA View Post

In an ideal world, the VSR is wired so its isolated from the charger. This way, the dual bank charger can treat the main cranking battery and house battery differently, as they should be. One way to tell, when the charger is plugged in, are any of the VSR status lights on?
    It’s the factory dual battery switch/VSR setup. When the charger is plugged in, the VSR light showing it’s passing current through is in which is what sparked my curiosity about using a single bank charger vs two…

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    Originally posted by tenmile View Post
    I have a 2 bank NOCO on board, and realized the other day that I wonder if that’s counter intuitive with the automatic VSR that’s part of the factory electrical system. If the primary battery gets over 12v (ie engine running), it automatically connects and charges the second battery. So wouldn’t it be just as effective to hook up a single bank charger to the main battery and allow it to tend both batteries? If the voltage drops below whatever the maintenance charge is, it’ll pick up the voltage which would then open up the VSR and charge the 2nd one too…

I’m probably over thinking this, but curious if anyone else has just run a single bank charger because of this.
    In an ideal world, the VSR is wired so its isolated from the charger. This way, the dual bank charger can treat the main cranking battery and house battery differently, as they should be. One way to tell, when the charger is plugged in, are any of the VSR status lights on?

Leave a comment:

• tenmile
    replied
    I have a 2 bank NOCO on board, and realized the other day that I wonder if that’s counter intuitive with the automatic VSR that’s part of the factory electrical system. If the primary battery gets over 12v (ie engine running), it automatically connects and charges the second battery. So wouldn’t it be just as effective to hook up a single bank charger to the main battery and allow it to tend both batteries? If the voltage drops below whatever the maintenance charge is, it’ll pick up the voltage which would then open up the VSR and charge the 2nd one too…

I’m probably over thinking this, but curious if anyone else has just run a single bank charger because of this.

Leave a comment:

• lakedrum03
    replied
    Originally posted by RxMC View Post
    Never heard of NOCO. Sounds like they're awesome.
    Headquartered in Ohio, so anything they make has to be good.

Leave a comment:

• RxMC
    replied
    Never heard of NOCO. Sounds like they're awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Prostar 190
    replied
    I also use the NOCO stuff.

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
    I have the 2bank 10A NOCO, but I only use it in winter. Need to permanently mount it "somewhere" this spring. It drives me nuts to drill holes into a boat, but I need to get over it.
    I don't know your setting for the boat, but I place all of my NOCOs on an adjacent shelf (or similar) and leave them there, plugging into a pigtail coming off the battery posts. Maybe I am missing something but I don't keep any of the charging units onboard. However I garage my boats and have power right there. Using the charger, it is easier than connecting a trailer light connector.

Leave a comment:

• FoggyNogginz
    replied
    I have the 2bank 10A NOCO, but I only use it in winter. Need to permanently mount it "somewhere" this spring. It drives me nuts to drill holes into a boat, but I need to get over it.

Leave a comment:

• LDA6339
    replied
    I put the 3 bank 12 amp NOCO on ours a couple years ago, definitely recommend but wish I bought the 30amp.

Leave a comment:

• gwozhog
    replied
    I have a 5 year old and 7 year old optima bluetop batteries that I keep charged year round with a cheap promariner promite single 5amp charger. Its hard wired into one battery and with my Perko switch set to all im able to charge both at the same time. I just had both battteries tested last week and they are both still checking out at 100 percent. I would not spend more than a 100 bucks on a charger.

Leave a comment:

• dt37803
    replied
    ^ This. also ran a extention cord through bottom of lockers for easy plug in option front or rear.

Leave a comment:

• rbuss4
    replied
    Installed this one in my '19 XT21. Works perfectly and easily installed just behind the batteries under the passenger seat
    https://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-43...W%2CB003JSJS5I

Leave a comment:

• zsqure
    replied
    Like Waterlogged, I use quite a few NOCO devices. Threw out the old 2-10-50 charger from '93 and use the "smart" stuff now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X