No announcement yet.

Is the X25 a difficult boat to work on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the X25 a difficult boat to work on?

Does anyone own a X25 that does all their own repairs minor and major? Looking a the layout the engine hatches look really small. Wondering how difficult changing wear items like the shaft seal, rudder seal, spark plugs, and other common parts that need replaced once in a while. Also if you needed to replace an engine how difficult is it to remove the engine hatch. That thing looks massive. And does the back seat come out so you can lift the engine straight up or does it have to come out at an angle? I have everything I need to work on boats from a huge gantry crane to specialty tools but not wanting to buy something that is more difficult to wrench on than my 205v which is already a tight squeeze.

I have a 2014 X25 that I bought in slightly rough shape. I do all my own maintenance including big jobs like engine and transmission rebuilds. I haven't had to pull the engine or transmission on the X25, but overall it's not any harder to work on than any other v-drive. I've completely disassembled and rebuilt the cooling system, done tons of upgrades and mods to the ballast system and Gen 2 surf system, fixed a crack in the KGB tank, replaced gauges, replaced depth and temp sensor, replaced skins on almost all the lower seat sections, changed the spark plugs, oil, and impeller, greased the rudder port, etc.

But it also certainly not as easy to work on as my 2019 ProStar, 2012 Nautique 200, or about any direct drive for that matter. But not as hard to work on most stern drives.

The boat is at the lake house, I'll be there this coming weekend and will look to see what can be removed to pull the engine and trans.
    -----------------------------------
    Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
    Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
    Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Thank you jpwhit

Comment

The entire back hatch opens
        -Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
        https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer

Comment

what size bags are those? Also compared too a 205v with hard tanks removed how is the space when you climb in the hatches of an x25? I can barely fit into my 205v hatches at 220 pounds. I Have to turn my shoulders sideways.

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
            what size bags are those? Also compared too a 205v with hard tanks removed how is the space when you climb in the hatches of an x25? I can barely fit into my 205v hatches at 220 pounds. I Have to turn my shoulders sideways.
            those are X star 720s
            -Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
            https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
            2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer

Comment

I'm weigh 165, so not sure if this will help much, but I can easily climb into the compartments on each side of the engine. It gives good access to the sides of the engine. This is with the below the floor rear hard tanks in-place.

Comment

I looked at my X25 this weekend in regard to what it would be like to pull the engine / trans. The access looks quite good. I'm attaching a couple of pictures marked with a red box. The first picture shows the center section of the rear seat. That entire center section comes out with a few bolts. With that out with the engine access hatch cover removed you would have open access to the engine and trans. You would be able to practically lift the engine and trans straight up and out.

The support for the panels that separate the engine from the storage / ballast compartment will also come out with a few bolts. I would pull those if I were removing the engine. I take the panel themselves out often when working on the engine. With those panel out, I can climb into the ballast compartments and work on anything on either side of the engine.

Comment

Working...
                X