Stereo Upgrade - What to Do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Upgrade - What to Do???

OK - I have a dilemma - 2013 X25 - Both remotes (Helm/Transom) took a dump last year, transom is dead, helm comes on, but buttons no worky!

All Clarion from circa 2013 CMD6 with added JL Blue Tooth - I would really like to have Blue Tooth, IOS plug option & XM satellite as options. Looks like the CLA-SC1 is discontinued for the CMD6?

Here is the issue -I can still get the remotes $180ea (Plug & Play) I can upgrade the head unit staying with Clarion M608 $400 plus satellite receiver - All of which are easy swap - fits existing cut outs. or swap the entire system? Lowest cost overall - However, I hate the Clarion Remotes - Volume Up/Down with buttons is a pain - Prefer a volume Knob
    • Fussion MS-RA770 $700 - ERX400 Remotes $250- MS-NRX300-$220
      • Will these fit easily in the existing spots - ??? Looks possible
    • JL - MM100 & Remotes
      • Def does not fit/swap easilly
      • Gets terrible reviews
    • Wet Sounds - WS-MC-2
      • Same issue - Mounting in existing locations without huge hassle???
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2696293

Is the Clarion head unit wiring harness a direct wire set or NMEA? If NMEA is already wired through the boat, then it would be an easy swap to the Fusion Apollo which is a great head unit and will fit anywhere. IIRC, the NMEA wiring is also routed through the MC screen stereo controls. I actually had to add a fiberglass backing board to mount the new Apollo unit as it is smaller than the prior Fusion.

If you keep or stay with Clarion, then easy enough to switch the remotes and perhaps add some extra amp power if you want to punch up the system a bit.

Comment

I have the fusion MS-UD755 head unit, Two NRX300 remotes, and a pair of JL High Definition MHD 600 watt amplifiers, and JL speakers in my 2014 X25. I'm super happy with the setup. I'm really impressed by the MHD series high definition amps. They are extremely power efficient and the power output is not voltage dependent. You get full power even when the motor is off and the voltage is lower. Due to the built in switching power supplies, the current draw is lower than other amps of the same power, so it really doesn't stress the batteries and alternator like my old amps.

The Fusion MS-UD755 was used in a fair number of Mastercrafts from the factory. It's what came install in my 2019 ProStar from the factory and I liked it so much I put one in the X25. It's recently discontinued but still very available for a good price. It supports 4 audio zones, has built in bluetooth, and supports integration with a SiriusXM tuner.

MS-UD755 - $379
      https://www.amazon.com/Fusion-MS-UD755-Stereo-w-Unidock/dp/B075NLX53J/ref=asc_df_B075NLX53J/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312141906131&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=12285841897372261765&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqm t=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009669&hv targid=pla-428750216375&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60234797217&h vpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312141906131&hvpos=&hvnetw=g &hvrand=12285841897372261765&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcm dl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009669&hvtargid=pla-428750216375

MS-NRX300 - $157

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/fus010-...kaAucbEALw_wcB

-----------------------------------
      Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
      Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
      Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

The wet Sounds MC-2 is a great unit in the right application, but you need to be looking at the 4 zone MC-1 if you are comparing the Apollo 770 or MM100

I can remember the transition point, but if the CMD6 has the 6-pin remote cable or the 8-pin. If its the 6-pin, you would need to run new wired remote extension cables, and a Y cable if running more then one wired remote.

You will need a filler trim plate to mount the MS770 in place of a CMD. Same with the rectangle fusion remote in place of the round clarion. However, if the round remote is recessed on the helm, the round molded area is a huge hurdle to mount anything thats not the same round size.

Comment

M608 for least amount of hassle …
          Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
          1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
          Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
          "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

Originally posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
            M608 for least amount of hassle …
            When have I ever done something for the least amount of hassle - I hate the Clarion remotes - I am thinking Fusion MS-RA670 & 2 ERX400 remotes (if 2 are supported, have the question out to Crutchfield) - Certainly have to rewire the remotes and some hassle on powering the head unit???, found a few Face plates adapters that should fit for the Head Unit. This will be our Spring project Rob!!!

By the way, I have plenty of AMP power for In-Boats, Sub & Tower Speakers- Just really want to update to current Tech, get rid of the stupid push button volume control on the remotes, add XM radio. I know this will never integrate into the BIG screen, as this was going to be an ALL JL integration that was bagged by JL & MC, then they went with Klipsch! It is what it is with MC, planned boat obsolescence. I don't really want DSP, as my system is well tuned today using old fashioned sine wave & voltage to set, so hopefully this can be turned off.

Thanks for the reply's boys!

Comment

How many zones do you need? My X25 was setup for 4 zones. The RA670 only supports 3 zones. My setup integrates just fine into the 7" screen.

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
                How many zones do you need? My X25 was setup for 4 zones. The RA670 only supports 3 zones. My setup integrates just fine into the 7" screen.
                I really only need 2 -Tower & In-boats (Which today is controlled via the fader on the Clarion)- Circa 2013 Murphy software was set up for JL integration, which never happened, don't think it it will ever integrate into the Murphy software? Not a big deal, as long as I have volume control/skip/next track via the remote at the helm and a volume turn knob vs push buttons is what I am looking for. My head unit is fine, just the 2 remotes are dead, going Clarion is the easy way out, upgrading to a M608 & adding Satellite and 2 new remotes, cost wise the Fusion is just a bit more, however looks like a nicer GUI IIMO.

I found a few options for the head unit face plate -
                https://www.trimmedoutinc.com/produc...ounting-plate/
                https://www.amazon.com/Fusion-MS-RA2...ct_top?ie=UTF8
                https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091KHLKVV...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It looks like the ERX400 remote will cover the hole at the helm with little mod - & the transom is easy. Question is, does the RA670 support 2 ERX400 remotes?

Comment

Yes the RA670 supports two remotes. You can also use their wireless JL at the transom as an alternative.

Prior RA670 install thread:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/for...=Fusion+apollo
                  Last edited by moosehead; 12-27-2021, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsCraft View Post

Circa 2013 Murphy software was set up for JL integration, which never happened, don't think it it will ever integrate into the Murphy software?
                    After Clarion and before Klipsch, Mastercraft used Fusion head units with JL speakers and amps. The Murphy software integrates just fine with most Fusion head units as long as they support NEMA2k, and the NEMA bus is connected to the head unit, and you have the right version of software on your 7" screen.

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
                      Yes the RA670 supports two remotes. You can also use their wireless JL at the transom as an alternative.

Prior RA670 install thread:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/for...=Fusion+apollo
                      Thanks Moose - Very helpful Yes, I saw the wireless remote, was thinking of this for the transom, only issue would need to have the old holes filled/gel But certainly an option and really only need volume control & skip functionality on the transom. I don't use the transom remote that much, but nice to have and maybe put it in a different location? Still might be an issue with the ERX400 or the 300, certainly the new hole location will not line up, however was hoping the new one would at least cover up the old.

I really don't want to mess with trying to integrate into the Murphy, with the ERX400 (basically a head unit extension) it is really not necessary, plus a lot already going on there (BIG) , with cruise, ballast etc. Again, gents, thanks for all the input super helpful.

Mr 93Prostar190 - You have been chosen. We have our Norris Spring project needing to get on the schedule! Boat is already out of the water, ready to work on! I might even let DD help -
                      Also, need to replace the KGB ballast pump

Comment

MC, you should also check and see if NMEA wiring is already in your boat, most were done so especially for the MC Fusion/JL’s in 2013+ beyond. If so, then wiring for either option is a snap including the Fusion HU. Even if you don’t use the murphy connection for controls, the NMEA modular wiring is slick and easy.

You can pull the carpeted backer board in front of the helm behind the flip up bow seat to confirm.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Yacht...71230893&psc=1
                        Attached Files

Comment

The only reason I really care about the integration with main Murphy display is that gives you the auto volume control relative to boat speed. That pretty handy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
                            The only reason I really care about the integration with main Murphy display is that gives you the auto volume control relative to boat speed. That pretty handy IMO.
                            That is actually a nice feature - does it work? - I will have to check if I have the NMEA harness is there - My '13 was manufactured in March, so pretty early on in the model year. I thought Fusion started in '14 Model year?

Comment

I upgraded to Fusion Apollo on my ‘13 25 and love it. I don’t think the auto volume is really all that great tho — it adjusts all zones similarly, which can be a pain when I’m just zipping across the lake and have no need of tower speakers (I only use the tower speakers when towing someone. There’s no need to be ‘that guy’ who feels the need to inflict his tunes on the whole lake when just heading to the flat water.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	461E7DA8-9221-420D-900E-773EBCA665C6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	745.0 KB ID:	2696756
                              Since taking this picture, I purchased and added this adapter faceplate from GreatLakesSkipper: https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ma...-ip700i-series

I put the standard remote at the helm:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	30FC9EEC-1640-48F2-97A7-0005C4D0B086.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.58 MB ID:	2696757
                              I also bought the billet faceplate from GreatLakesSkipper: https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ma...-4-inch-silver

I left the old remote cable in place, but ran a NMEA cable alongside the cables under the gunwale around the bow to the remote and Murphy screen (You just need to update the Murphy Screen with the +Fusion version of the software), and if I remember correctly, I needed to buy the Murphy NMEA adapter harness to connect it to the network.

For the stern I just plugged the cable hole from the Clarion remote and added the wireless remote which works great, but almost never gets used, and linked it to the tower zone (why would you ever want to adjust volume for the bow or cockpit zones from the stern?)

Click image for larger version  Name:	01CA273D-486E-4EFD-B5F2-20EA66714303.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	2696758
                              Since this picture was taken, I added a custom aluminum trim ring that I made which protects the remote and covers the screw holes from the previous remote.

I’m extremely happy with it all , and if I had to do it again, probably would have skipped the Murphy interface because we never use it.

—Sky
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
                              2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

Working...
                              X